Honda CL450 "Black and Tan"

Re: Honda CL450 "Black and Tan"

Okay what do you experts think about this set uphttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231394795275

Looks like a 450 cylinder bored or re sleeved to a 500

hondamaha said:
Okay what do you experts think about this set uphttp://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=231394795275

Looks like a 450 cylinder bored or re sleeved to a 500

Pull the trigger... Give it a light cross hatch and run it, $400 seems reasonable for all that is included.

Will running that much of an overview require special porting, cams, etc I imagine the carb jetting will be slightly different.

hondamaha said:
*over bore not "overview"

If you have the cash... port and texture the intake, port and polish exhaust, I am doing 5 angle valve profiles last being a radius cut... But you should be good with 4 check the tolerance in the guides and replace/hone as needed as mentioned if you cut the seats and subsequent valve tips, you will need to squish a ball of mud to see where deck height is (actual) to valve clearance (squish tolerance) if using copper you could stack two to increase the chamber if needed.... Do you have a dremel?? LOL

I'm just not good at this man, what I do someone will do different, but yeah cause and effect man!

RD :eek:

you really need a close look at everything in the top end,first,unless your buh-jet has no limit :)
the 450's are notorious fro costing hundreds of dollers to replace all the worn out crap up there

Can anyone tell me how to get this off. I am wondering if the shaft is supposed to spin or something that will allow it to come apart. The whole thing spins with the cam but I can't get it to rotate allowing those two "wings" to pull off of the "pins" what am I missing?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424648774.570123.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424648774.570123.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 1,022
Does the whole unit not slide off the end of the cam? That's how the advancer is on my 125, just slides off the cam (once the points plate and bolt on the end of the cam are off obviously)

I bet you are right. I have a jaw puller but that doesn't seem to fit. Hmmm any special tool anyone has created or used to get these off

It's bloody well crud welded on Governor... Heat and PB repeat. Put the bolt back in [EDIT] (and back off 1/4 turn), put the socket on the bolt and give it a light tap with a brass hammer or be careful not to smudge the socket, the outer "tapered" boss will come off, then you can pull the advancer. That looks seized but not to bad to free up with heat and PB.

Tune-A-Fish said:
It's bloody well crud welded on Governor... Heat and PB repeat. Put the bolt back in [EDIT] (and back off 1/4 turn), put the socket on the bolt and give it a light tap with a brass hammer or be careful not to smudge the socket, the outer "tapered" boss will come off, then you can pull the advancer. That looks seized but not to bad to free up with heat and PB.
that wont do anything there is no taperes involved all you are doing is banging on the cam end
you can pull the points cam off rotate it fully advanced and it will come off, so that you can get a little heat on the part that is seized to the actual cam itself DO NOT use a puller the unit it too frajill DO not get heat on the part that has the pins and springs attached to it porotect it from any flame it is hardened steel,very thin and you will ruin its strength only use a few licks of the flame on the part that sticks out and goes over the cam maybe almost smoking hot no hotter

xb33bsa said:
that wont do anything there is no taperes involved all you are doing is banging on the cam end
you can pull the points cam off rotate it fully advanced and it will come off, so that you can get a little heat on the part that is seized to the actual cam itself DO NOT use a puller the unit it too frajill DO not get heat on the part that has the pins and springs attached to it porotect it from any flame it is hardened steel,very thin and you will ruin its strength only use a few licks of the flame on the part that sticks out and goes over the cam maybe almost smoking hot no hotter

Nice save XB... I had pulse generator on the brain.

image of two parts... hope THIS helps :-\
PointsCam350.JPG

Man thanks guys. This all helps a lot. So the cam for the points will twist off separately????

Yes, and make sure you put it back together the right way. Notice the marks.

also if the unit is rusty you need to kill the rust and inspect it carefully with a glass for cracks they will 'splode eventually if cracked, i know first hand got stranded thataway one time

I got it pulled off but it was no joke. That sicker was on there. I might have to replace the cam. I heated blasted pulled etc for hours. Finally went to a puller. Created a custom puller. ....nothing. Last resort I cut down the sides with a Dremmel hopefully not scoring the cam. Even then it wouldnt come off until I used the puller that I created. After all that I got it off and have one small score in the cam. But it is clearly rusted.

When I bought the bike the points cover was not on so who knows how long it was exposed to moisture.

Next step I will take it to a machine shop and inspect and hopefully reseat the valves. I am a little concerned with all this talk about clearance. Anything I should tell the shop to be careful of?

The machine shop if worth there pay rate will explain, but if not a cycle friendly shop you might mention what XB said about shallow hardening and little tolerance for grinding, your best bet may be to just grab a set of valves there not so spendy or even take some good pics and post here for advice of the the valves and seats cleaned up. it's like this though... if you cut seats and valves the valves now run deeper in the head releasing spring pressure at the retainers so you can only go so far before you start to float valves, the tip protrudes only a small amount so grinding too much will result in the rocker rubbing the retainer:
P8060032-150.jpg

Back
Top Bottom