Skyteam Ace to RC Honda Racer Replica!!

HerbertD

[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

I have had my ACE since 2012, and have done just over 3000 miles on it. Ever since day one, I have been keen to modify it, and besides the 150cc upgrade, clip-on’s, rear shocks, sports exhaust, various speedos & tachos, Michelin Pilot Sporty tyres, full cap head stainless bolts, better footpegs, etc, etc, the one modification that I was desperate to do was to add a racing type full fairing to it, much in the vein of the original Honda RC racers of the early sixties.
There are a few suitable fairings on the market, but I was put off by their price and the fact that the fitment was dubious as it involves a considerable amount of fabrication to make it work properly.
However, just after the beginning of March this year, I bit the bullet and purchased a fairing that was advertised as being for a CR93 type Honda racer, courtesy of a UK based firm in Stevenage – BB Plastics. The MD, Gary was very obliging and after approximately 4 weeks, they delivered fairing & screen looking as follows:
[pic][/pic]
The Honda Racing decals were purchased courtesy of E-bay (Moonpie Graphics ) and so began the process of fitting and modifying!
[pic][/pic]

I didn’t want to weld the headstock directly as I thought that it would be better if I could come up with a removable bracket that would allow me to revert back to the naked form if I needed to. Therefore, after some head scratching and looking at other bikes, I designed the following:
[pic][/pic]
You can probably tell that I'm an Agri-engineer by profession- I like abit of over-engineering!
The 1” Aluminium tubing came free courtesy of a new John Lewis Kitchen Blind that my wife had bought! After a few trial runs, and proving the concept, I was ready to fabricate it accordingly:
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

With the adjustable turnbuckle, and telescopic end, hopefully this would give me the adjustment that I needed! Note the U bolt that secures the bracket against the headstock, but is strong enough to keep everything in place and still allows me enough turning circle on the steering.

The rear of the fairing is suspended via 12mm Aluminium tubing that conveniently fits to the bracket that the EGR gubbins originally was bolted to, whilst I made a bracket to attach to the other side

[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

After the hassle of rubbing the GRP down to an acceptable smooth finish, I realised that it would be easier to farm out the spraying to a professional as I do not have the facilities or patience to achieve a good finish!
Before the finishing coat of lacquer, however, I applied the decals, and also changed the Honda badge on the tank to provide a more appropriate design. The pin-striping also gives it that original Honda racing look as well! (Hopefully!)

[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
I received the finished fairing back from the Spray shop yesterday, and eagerly fitted it in a high state of excitement! Fortunately, it all went together pretty well, and is solid as a rock. I have only had a quick 5 mile run-out, but all seems well, with no vibration, and it looks pretty peachy, even if I say so myself!
It was my first real fabrication job with the Ace, and the whole job has been immensely satisfying and great fun to do.
The ACE in it's standard form receives enough attention and it will be fun anticipating everybody's reaction when I hit the streets for proper. I hope that you like it!
For general interest, I anticipate that the whole project cost me approximately £450.00, but hopefully, it should have certainly added to the value of the bike - Mind you, I certainly don't anticipate selling it ever!
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]
[pic][/pic]

Hi Herbert, Bet it looks even better in the flesh. It is such a great feeling of satisfaction when make something fit that wasn't made to bolt straight on.
You have made an excellent job.
You do realise that you might be asked to fit a few more though.
Cheers, Tad.
PS great photo walk through,

Thanks Guys - Your paint code analysis was invaluable Tad, as it saved a lot of time and hassle, As you say, it's very rewarding when it all comes together! Just in time for the Bank Holiday as well. Just hope the weather holds up!

It looks beautiful. Looks like it's pretty much the same fairing that Snake Motors used for their version of the Ace. Would have looked better in metallic red though ;) (the whole bike of course)

be very proud of what you have created. artful and functional and just plain brilliant. a nice little steering damper hidden in the fairing would be nice too. . waiting to see what you do next as i think it is near perfection

pete

Thanks Guys - Really appreciate the feedback. Weather's good this evening, so had a quick blat to Sidmouth. Got waved at enthusiastically by an old guy in a MGB roadster!
[pic][/pic]

Thanks Crazy,

Your fairing was the original inspiration - back in Dec 2012 (Page 1 of the Ace Resource!) if I recall!

Hi Herbert,
Wonderful job, saved my old head a lot of ache ;).

One observation though, I assume the headstock mounting assembly now controls the degree of steering lock or have you reduced the amount of lock on the original lock stops?

I might adopt your clamped idea but use a flat vertical plate to go forward enough to miss the fork stanchions and allow full lock. Doing this may mean the top of the fairing where the screen is mounted may need bracing. The old way was to modify the stem nut to allow the brace to swivel in the nut, not worked out how they did this yet.

My project is to make a light road legal bike for transportation reasons, so no rear mudguard, no indicators, no lights, reposition battery, remove air box and side covers, alloy rims if the budget will allow.

Once again..............very nice job.

BTW Do you know the paint code for the red frame or a near match?

Cheers
Lance
8)

Hi Lance,

With the headstock bracket, you are correct in the fact that the steering lock is slightly restricted , but it is only a few degrees either way so it is not too significant!

I have now done approximately 150 miles with the fairing installed, and all is going well. The only problem encountered was the fact that the rigid stay that I made to secure the underside of the fairing broke going over a pothole, so a more flexible solution has now been made using a couple of small springs (see photo) This is a far better arrangement and is working well.
[pic][/pic]

The full fairing has definitely helped the top end performance as well. On a recent trip,I managed my personal best of 77mph! Please note that this was downhill & with the long gearing (14 / 37 from memory) and 15.1/2 stone of rider, the combined weight undoubtedly helps.

[pic][/pic]

With the Paint code for the red frame, I'm afraid that I do not have the correct code, but had a rattle can of Halfords Fiat orange red seems fairly close.

Hi John,

yes, I live in Ottery. I hope to be at Paignton Bike night tomorrow. Come and see us there if you can.

I've heard on the Gapevine that Skyteam will be offering a CR93 type full fairing and fittings for the Ace.
Rumored to be via Snake Motors.

8)

Back
Top Bottom