Skyteam Ace to RC Honda Racer Replica!!

here a few pics of my Ace 250.
Zong chen DOHC engine-approx 24hp(on oo racing dyno)
Kand N filter.
upgraded CDI
straight through pipe an norton peashooter
Conti sticky tyres.
Chrome guards.
period headlight and supports.
EBC brakes and braided hose.
progressive fork springs
New mini clocks.
tidier switch gear with ignition switch "a la harley"
chrome side stand.

Looking to put race fairing and tasty race pegs on
Adrian Mortimer at OO racing supplied all parts-highly recommended.
He is developing a supercharger for the 250 ace.He reckons it should give 10-15hp extra.
I have photos if interested mail me on petercheetham@rocketmail.com

Ive put a couple of picks of my Gilera saturno 500 single.Rare-only 1000 made.
At 130 kgs I thought it was very light,until I got the ace,at nearly half the weight
period grips.
bar end mirror(absolutely brill)
period rear light.
gas/oil shocks

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    469.7 KB · Views: 570
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    556.8 KB · Views: 539
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    539.2 KB · Views: 527
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    553.9 KB · Views: 488
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    543.4 KB · Views: 536
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    547 KB · Views: 459
with regard to Skyteam cr93 replica fairing.
When I bought my Ace from CG Chell in stafford uk in July this year,he was in the process of having a
fairing made up by a race bodywork manufacturer.He was waiting for the first example to test.He asked my opinion about colour-either silver or red.I said silver.
perhaps check out progress?If I get the time I will and post a reply

peter

hey peter

just curious how well the Zongshen 250 went in
how much did you have to change to fit with it, just the carbi?

cheers, Dylan

sorry mate-I did nothing,I let Adrian Mortimer at OO racing supply and fit all the parts.Check out his website-he is very proficient and very helpful-top bloke.

Hi Peter,

Like the 250 Ace and would be very interested to know what sort of performance difference there is between that and the standard 125. Did you convert it as soon as you bought the ACE or did you run it with the 125 first?

Also, I see that the Stafford dealer that you bought it from is selling them much cheaper than most other UK dealers. For the last couple of years most official imported Ace 125 have been advertised for around £1800, so it's amazing that this dealer can sell them at £1300 (or £1379 with Chrome Mudguards) Are they parallel imports?

I would be interested to see what they make of the CR93 fairing, which my fairing was based on. I think that if they can market a good version, this would be successful, particularly as the cost of their new bikes are so reasonable!

Like the look of your Gilera, and not really familiar with this particular model. I always fancied the Gilera CX 125 which is an amazing machine - perhaps the only small capacity bike to ever featured single sided swing-arms at both ends! (See photo)
[pic][/pic]

hi
cyril chell did my ace 125 for £1200 with chrome guards.He imports container loads of skyteam bikes.He tells me he has sold 18,000 monkey bikes.He has dealers in germany and holland who buy as many aces as he can provide.He can supply a skyteam branded 250 motor and all ancillaries for round about £550.(OO racing about the same and his motors are silver rather than Chellies black ones)
I never ran the 125 motor at all.The bike never turned a wheel before the 250 plant was installed-cant comment.
Adrian mortimer at oo racing does a very cheap(£44) kit to deristrict the standard 125 which takes the hp at back wheel from 4.2hp to nearly 10hp dyno confirmed.(see his youtube video)
The 250 motor delivered 24 hp at the back wheel according to the dyno.
The dohc 250 motor is Clearly in a different league to the 125.
I see in a previous post that the guy with the Ace 160 recorded a top speed of 77mph.I can cruise at 1/4 throttle on the 250 at 65mph.I suspect top speed is in the high 80s/low 90s
not tried yet as the motor isnt run in yet.It is super responsive and lifts the front wheel(marginally) in the first couple of gears.You find yourself cruising happily at 60mph and then realise you still have a gear in hand.I would compare the power output to a good 350/ 400cc jap trail bike,and combined with its superlight weight makes it a joy to ride.Everyone who rides it is truly amazed at its performance and handling.
I am thinking of buying another for the lounge as an ornament-a piece of modern art.

peter

Are you sure that the 250 engine has an dohc valvetrain? I am pretty sure that zongcheng does not make an aircooled dohc engine... The only one they make is an watercooled copy of a Kawasaki 300cc...

Yes, looking at the photos of Peter's 250 engine would suggest that it's a OHV rather than DOHC!

Latest update on my bike - Having changed the Spokes and Cush Drive bushes & cush drive bolts for OE Honda items, I noticed that the wheel has a slight wobble - the wheel bearing's buggered now! No worries, twenty minute job changing the 6301 & 6201 to decent quality (FAG) bearings instead. At this rate, there won't be many Chinese components left..!

Better to change bearings now than have one pop like I did. Doing bearings will make the back brake quiet again too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies-you are all correct.I have got so used to writing DOHC as is the norm when describing virtually all modern bikes(including my 500 single gilera!!!)
Single ohc is correct.

Still loving it.Ist oil change at 200kms.Mineral 15/40 recommended.
The last balmy days of autumn(17 to 20 centigrade) make me ride the bike daily,not for much longer though,winter is round the corner.
I will be fitting a race fairing over the winter-keep you all posted.

It's my ACE's third birthday, so in the UK, that means it celebrates it's anniversary by having it's first MOT test. I think my Ace was in the first batch of bikes into the UK, (Only 12 were registered in the UK in whole of 2012) so must be one of the first to require its MOT.

Worried that I could not get it through the test due to the fact that the Headlight is non adjustable with the fairing on, the easiest solution was to remove it purely for the test. Moreover, the old style silver on black Number plate is technically a big no-no for the test (Although it makes a huge visual improvement for the ACE, and makes it look more in character for the style of the bike) so the horrible std yellow plate is back on for the duration of the test.

Anyway, test now passed, so fairing can shortly go back on.

[pic][/pic]
Note tempory indictaor brackets
[pic][/pic]

Having changed all the rear spokes and Cush drive bushes & bolts for Honda OE items, I'm pleased that that is one area that is no longer cause for concern as the Honda quality is in a different league! It certainly seems to be an area of weakness as many other Ace owners are finding out for themselves!

With the front wheel, I have just tightened up one of the spokes as it was loose, and it has fractured on the nipple as it had succumbed to corrosion.Bug*er! Does anybody know the exact size of the front spokes as I think that they are a different part number to the rear. According to my Honda book, the CG125 uses front spokes 200mm long but this looks slightly longer than the Ace. Can anybody advise me on this??!

Hi
I cant answer your question sorry.I notice from the photos that you appear to be usuig the original headlight-is that right(ie bottom mounting like a Bates light?)
did you just use an extension bracket?Are the lectrics long enough without extending them?
The reason I am asking is that I have ordered a CR93 fairing off BB plastics as you recommended.Since I live in france I can run the bike without a front light and there are no bike MOT equivalents,so nobody to object.I have an engineering pal who will do the bracketery for me and I will use the same stickers as you.
Are there any pitfalls before I start?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message and good luck with the fairing. I've been really pleased with the quality of it, and having fitted it over 6 months ago, there are no signs of cracking or crazing yet, so I am pleased that I went for the heavy duty version (Effectively double skinned from their std version)

As you noticed, I kept the original Skyteam headlight and just mounted it onto the aluminium bracket that I fabricated (See page one) and everything is holding up well. With the electrics for both the headlight and indicators, I had to extend the wiring by approximately 6 inches, but even with my basic knowledge and hatred of vehicle electrics, it was a simple job to do!

Putting the fairing on without a headlight would be a much simpler job, but it would be a lot more hassle in terms of riding it on the road, and never being able to use at night, though I've only used it a few times in the dark,unfortunately,the skyteam headlight is not known for it's illuminating quality!

I bought a few aluminium tubes (10 & 12mm diameter) from the local hardware shop (1 meter lengths at approx. £3 per length) and these proved invaluable in making the stays for the rear of the fairing bracket and using the 10mm tube,I bent in a U shape to provide bracing on the inside of the windscreen to add rigidity.

Anyhow, best of luck with the project and keep us posted on your progress!

Hello again Herbert, My Ace had it's birthday in September but haven't bought it a MOT pressie yet as there's not much chance of using it at this time of year.
Poor Ace, it was like a puppy bought for Xmas as when I bought it, it was still under warranty (only 300km) and I'm the third owner.
My fairing is holding up great with no cracks as yet.
I think the next thing to do is fit a oil cooler kit.
Do you know if any of the Ace owners plan to meet up anywhere next year.
Cheers, Tad.

Attachments

• IMG_20150606_093931.jpg
    IMG_20150606_093931.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 740
Looking good Tad!

Although mine is taxed all year, I don't like taking it out in the wet as I end up spending more time cleaning the blooming thing!
It would be great to have a UK meet for ACE owners - If anybody has any ideas for suitable venue / time, let us know!

Mornings gents,
I'm in the midlands and I'm willing to travel for a little UK meet up if anyone fancied it. Would be good intro into the new riding season in the new year.

Sam

Hi Sam,

If people are willing to travel a bit, maybe the midlands is a sensible venue anyway, being central to most people? I'm based in Devon, but happy to travel 3 to 4 hours (Before the body gives out!)

I suppose it would be best to see prospective riders and pick a mutual location, in favour of some good views and roads obviously.

I'm in Scarborough in N Yorkshire which is a about an hour from York or Hull,
but I'm sure there must be somewhere to meet.

Back
Top Bottom