The Stock Bike

Side stand detail.

One of the more personally satisfying parts on this bike. Seems sort of trivial once done, but before the mount is welded on and the shape bent up, it is very fussy figuring how to get it in a really good spot retracted while still working well as a prop without it being an eyesore or looking like an afterthought.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 339
Body line

Wanted to include this shot because it shows why the seat pan looks like it does. The RD400 tank has a very out-board and visible seam on the bottom and my solution to getting the seat to look like it matched was, well, to match it. Without the matching “pinch weld” the bottom of the seat and cowl either looks too high if it matches the shape of the tank, or too low if it aligns with the bottom of the flange. Mimicking the flange eliminated having to make a choice.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 366
Controls

Rebuilt the instruments and hand switches. All completely stock RD350. The owner asked for closer hand levers, so I fitted some aftermarket adjustable levers that are a lot closer to the bars. I re-machined them to fit to the stock perches. This was a crazy amount of work and I won’t do it again. No reason not to simply get modern bolt up perches. I thought the MC was from an XS11, but now I can’t place it. Used it because it has a smaller piston diameter which makes the front brake feel much more powerful and an integral brake light switch. Pretty sure it is from the 70’s though!

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    819.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 329
Stone screens

Just a shot to show the screens in the rear hub a bit better.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.JPG
    IMG_0849.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 328
And finally, and lastly, some shameless self-promotion!

Thanks for looking everyone! And thanks especially for all the kind words - it means a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    836.7 KB · Views: 320
No surprise well deserved BOTM nomination.

Incredibly cool RD. Perfectly balanced. Mad skills. And the Heavy Metal reflection in the pic of the right controls. Nice.

Beautiful, tasteful, skillful execution.

Really nice to see projects done to this level.
Im looking forward to your next one.
BUT PLEASE! NEXT TIME: Post more work in progress pics! :-D
Thanks for sharing. Inspiring.

BTW, the Sprite is pretty damn awesome too.

What an accomplishment... well done!

As we say in the pits... "it looks fast on the stand" nothing left now but to go wring the piss out of it and see what its worth on the track :eek:

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Tune-A-Fish said:
As we say in the pits... "it looks fast on the stand" nothing left now but to go wring the piss out of it and see what its worth on the track :eek:

The owner has only had it a few months and has put 4000 miles on the clock, so there has been a bit of wringing. He has 3 other bikes that are "daily" drivers, so I presume he doesn't find it particularly disagreeable!

You don't know how good that sounds... I was thingking... "man I hope that gets to go play and not collect dust" Sooo good to hear the owner is putting miles on it. ;D

I'm a little late in the game to view this and reply but I am blown away! Thank you so much for posting the progress and tidbits on all the custom work. You are a true craftsman. Fit and finish on this thing is nothing short of immaculate and loving all the proper 2T goodies. Great to hear 4000 miles have been logged already because as beautiful as this thing is, it looks like a proper and very tasteful RD. Good on ya! Ring a ding ding waaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! ;D

If I had that to ride to school back when it was new, I would of had good reason for the two up foot pegs :eek:

jpmobius said:
A little die grinder action.
And a trip through the glass beader.
And done. I will make some dies to form up some stone screens later. The screens will get epoxied in on the inside of the backing plate after it gets painted.
Love that! Have thought about getting a sand blaster to do just that for my parts. Looks so good.

Wow, what a great journey that is, really inspires me to take my time and not "just get it done". Bravo, just bravo.

such a beautifully finished build, Id enjoy opening the door to my garage everyday if that was parked behind it.

the MOST beautiful RD i have ever seen
absolutly gorgeous

i have started a project of my own and i would like to contact u
for maybe some work. especially the seat and rear coupe

Back
Top Bottom