www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM :)

Author Topic: Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler  (Read 20919 times)

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
Re: Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:40:42 »

I added a pic above. Pretty much click any thread in deviants sig to find more:

Got it. I like seeing other people methods. It looks like he uses a planishing hammer, and maybe some hammer on metal techniques. (I'm sure he'll fill us in.) I use an e-wheel and stump shrinking methods. It's cool seeing how the craft is approached by different people.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:08:04 »
Thanks fellas.  I learned metal as sculptor years ago.  Plus years of rust repair on my old man's rods.  I'm just now applying this to bikes.  All I have is a small hand built e wheel, two logs, a football and a bunch of different shaped hammers.  With side covers and similar forms, I cut out the shape in HDO plywood like so:

When I built the XL, I had no e wheel so it was hours and hours of planishing to get it smooth.  Admittedly, I've never used a buck on a motorcycle.  I've only used them in sculpture.  I've never made a tank from scratch, so I'm learning something here.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2015, 13:51:52 »

Thanks fellas.  I learned metal as sculptor years ago.  Plus years of rust repair on my old man's rods.  I'm just now applying this to bikes.  All I have is a small hand built e wheel, two logs, a football and a bunch of different shaped hammers.  With side covers and similar forms, I cut out the shape in HDO plywood like so:

When I built the XL, I had no e wheel so it was hours and hours of planishing to get it smooth.  Admittedly, I've never used a buck on a motorcycle.  I've only used them in sculpture.  I've never made a tank from scratch, so I'm learning something here.

Very cool. You're mostly using hammerforms.

If I could offer some advise it would be to learn tuck shrinking with a stump and mallet. If you look at all the tools you're using, they're all stretching the metal and therefore thinning it. With a fuel tank you want to be cautious with how much you thin the material.

You can make parts using 100% stretch techniques, but you'll have to start with thicker material and that makes things more difficult especially with higher crown panels. If you get proficient with shrinking techniques (which thicken the metal) you can combine the two (50/50 shrink/stretch) and end up with a panel the same thickness as the material you started with.

Sorry if you already know all this, maybe someone else will find it helpful.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2015, 13:53:07 »
I snuck out this morning to do a little more work on the scrambler tank. This side is almost read to tack together.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2015, 14:02:35 »

Sorry if you already know all this, maybe someone else will find it helpful.
I appreciate the advice.  I'll always be learning as far as I'm concerned.  I have been using thicker gauge sheet to compensate, but since that pic I was taught the same as you mention.  The front fender I just made for my CB750 is first piece I did by both shrinking and stretching.  It's also always good to have the lessons reinforced.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2015, 14:14:12 »

I appreciate the advice.  I'll always be learning as far as I'm concerned.  I have been using thicker gauge sheet to compensate, but since that pic I was taught the same as you mention.  The front fender I just made for my CB750 is first piece I did by both shrinking and stretching.  It's also always good to have the lessons reinforced.

I agree 100%. Never stop learning.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2015, 19:50:13 »
I started working on the other half of the tank today.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:53:20 »
The holidays have made progress on the tank a little slow, but it's coming together.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
Cb350 Tracker / Scrambler - The UpstateScrambler
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2016, 22:01:56 »
Sorry I've been slow with posting updates. I decided to change up the tank design a little. Here is the new tank all tacked up. I should have it welded up tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2016, 22:03:57 by ncologerojr »

Offline JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:24:31 »
I'm in.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal