KZ 750 Twin - Two point zero

teazer said:
Nice work on those rearset mounts.

Thanks Teazer. Finding a hole in one my KZ400 pistons was a good motivation to step back from that one and refocus on this bike.

Looking good. I may have already said this, but I'd recommend throwing your seat on (however rough) and a pad similar thickness to what you want, strap the frame down real nice like and sit on it with your feet on the pegs for 20 minutes or so.

Just so you avoid finding out the positioning sucks after you get all your linkage done. I guess its probably less crucial with the bolt on mounts, but I've found its a good test.

advCo said:
Looking good. I may have already said this, but I'd recommend throwing your seat on (however rough) and a pad similar thickness to what you want, strap the frame down real nice like and sit on it with your feet on the pegs for 20 minutes or so.
Just so you avoid finding out the positioning sucks after you get all your linkage done. I guess its probably less crucial with the bolt on mounts, but I've found its a good test.

Fair point.

So, if you go back a bunch of pages, I did measurements of the seating vs footpegs on the yzf. I measured it out on the KZ and set them virtually the same when I made the templates. The main difference is on the YZF it's a few inches longer reach to the bars but the seat and footpeg alignment is pretty damn close. At the very worst, I make a different set of brackets but at this point I believe it'll be good.

Speaking of seats, I got some interesting upholstery material and some yoga mat ideas to work out soon. Keeping in theme with Ugly Seat 1.0.

canyoncarver said:
Got the 18" wheel in today. It's a nice one. I also have a set of Shinko 712's on the way. :)
Pics or it didn't happen

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought of going 18 frt and rear on the 1000. I really dont like the 16 rear 19 front combo at all.

1fasgsxr said:
I thought of going 18 frt and rear on the 1000. I really dont like the 16 rear 19 front combo at all.

Yeah, the 16" in back was just gonna be weird. 18" rear and 19" front will be much nicer I think. Of course I screwed up and ordered an 18" for the front and will have to return it. I already ordered the correct 19" front. My buddy at the indy HD shop in town is going to show me how to use his tire machine and let me do it in trade for some shared whiskey so win/win.

Attachments

• newKawi18mag.jpg
    newKawi18mag.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 248
95$ shipped to my door. It's off an 82' KZ Police. It came with the sprocket and carrier and cush rubbers.

I changed my mind on wheels again.

I re-found my 18" spoke rear and 19 spoke front in my barn. It "looks" lighter to me and likely is, those mags are beefy. These will line up in the stock swingarm and caliper better than the big KZP mag. Neither of the two rear wheel photos have a disc mounted at the moment.

Attachments

• kztwin_mag18rear.jpg
    kztwin_mag18rear.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 250
  • kztwin_spoke18rear.jpg
    kztwin_spoke18rear.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 244
canyoncarver said:
I changed my mind on wheels again.

I re-found my 18" spoke rear and 19 spoke front in my barn. It "looks" lighter to me and likely is, those mags are beefy. These will line up in the stock swingarm and caliper better than the big KZP mag. Neither of the two rear wheel photos have a disc mounted at the moment.

if you swap for an aluminum rim it will be even lighter. I don't know what year those KZP wheels came off but after 1980 they were designed to be tubeless so the weight savings are moot as the inner tube adds the weight difference back.

I like the mags and spokes for different reasons. But having a set of those mags myself, I always marveled at how heavy they actually are. The dual disc version are way worse.

Back
Top Bottom