www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Another 750 Four.  (Read 7178 times)

Offline barnabasantioch

Re: Another 750 Four.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:50:42 »
Did a quick mockup of a few things to make sure everything would clear.  Going to swap out those rearsets with something else. They feel a little cheap to me, and I need something indexable so that I can run the tie rod under the lever.  Also got my 550 swingarm in, so that will be going to the coater with the frame.  Found some good rust spots on the wheels, so the rims and hubs will be getting sprayed as well and I'll just lace up some new spokes.

Side note: While cleaning the frame up, I found this little gem...
Looks like some additional welding will be in order.

Offline J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2016, 10:10:17 »
Did a quick mockup of a few things to make sure everything would clear.  Going to swap out those rearsets with something else. They feel a little cheap to me, and I need something indexable so that I can run the tie rod under the lever.  Also got my 550 swingarm in, so that will be going to the coater with the frame.  Found some good rust spots on the wheels, so the rims and hubs will be getting sprayed as well and I'll just lace up some new spokes.

Side note: While cleaning the frame up, I found this little gem...
Looks like some additional welding will be in order.
I know someone who makes 360° indexable sets.

Offline barnabasantioch

« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:08:22 »
I know someone who makes 360° indexable sets.

I dig those, but I was leaning towards the DCC set, since I'll be returning the ones that I have there anyway.

Offline barnabasantioch

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:11:14 »
Decided to do a quick mock up of the front end (because that's how I tend to uncover more issues) and I was having a ridiculous time trying to remove my fork tubes.  Quickly discovered why...

Finally got them out and did a quick setup.  Looks like new tubes are now in the "budget"

Offline barnabasantioch

« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2016, 01:07:24 »
I'm looking to replace my swingarm bushings once everything is returned from powder coating.  Are the bronze bushings significantly superior to the OEM plastic ones?  An extra $20 isn't going to break the bank, but I want to make sure I'm not getting them just for the sake of having the more expensive part.  Is there any added benefit? 

Offline Tune-A-Fish©

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2016, 09:48:06 »
Whichever you can source will last as long as you will have it wont they?
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline Bootsey

« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2016, 20:53:01 »
kenosha_kid on eBay makes good brass bushes for a number of CB models.

Offline barnabasantioch

« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2016, 19:23:44 »
Decided to start polishing up some bits while everything else is at the coater.  Fork legs were too far gone, and I haven't been able to find a decent pair online for a good price, so I ordered up some Eastwood 2K satin black chassis paint and went to town because I don't have the patience to send anything else to be powdered.  Not cheap, but worthwhile.  Also tried to match the lower tree to the after market upper tree as best I could with VHT aluminum and some clear coat.  Rebuilt the forks while everything was apart with new seals and some progressive springs. Threw everything back together with the new fork tubes and the headlight I just received from DCC.

I'm thinking I'll have to research a new headlight bracket.  I had to reverse mount this one to reach the 5 1/2 inch headlight, and it seems to stick out too far for its size.

This pretty much brings me to a grinding hault until I get my frame and/or engine back.

Offline barnabasantioch

« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2016, 20:26:59 »
Frame and other goodies back from the powder coater today.

Also received my new harness from Sparck.  It's a little less overwhelming than the old one, with far less speaker wire.

Offline barnabasantioch

« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2016, 15:02:38 »
About to place an order for a couple of Shinko 230s.  My plan was to run 110/90 - 19 on the front and 120/90 - 18 in the rear.
I've heard that performance and handling would be better if I go down to a 100/90 front and 110/90 rear, but I feel that makes them look anemic.   I can handle a slight dip in performance as long as I'm not creating a safety concern.  I'm sure plenty of people out here have 2 cents to contribute to this topic.  :D