FZR600 Neo-Cafe

Today I'll be painting the bottom yoke. Undecided whether to paint or polish the top yoke. I'll have to mull that over a Guinness or three.

Walking round the garage not paying attention and I headbutted the yoke which was hanging from the rafters. It hurt.

That will show ya for not wearing ye olde bowler hat old chap ;) nothing a guiness wont cure mate :eek:

Thanks guys. Got a bump on the head but thankfully the paint was undamaged - thats the important thing!

No real progress to report today. The Missus is out and I got the sprog.

Undeterred, I sneaks the brake caliper indoors and checked them over. Surprisingly clean and in good order, with smooth moving pistons and no evidence of leaks. I thunked it over and then ordered some Rustoleum Appliance Stainless Steel spray to repaint them. I'm quite looking forward to that.

Been working this week so not a great deal happening. However, started stripping the Busa rear shock for cleaning and to repaint the spring.

Today I painted the rear caliper mount and the caliper itself.

I painted the mount in Hammerite to match the frame. Lovely.

More interestingly I used Rustoleum stainless appliance spray on the caliper and it looks stunning.

I need to get some pictures up, but at the moment most items are still hanging up while the paint cures, and I'm just a bit wary of unnecessarily handling items whet the paint is still green. Soon my friends, soon...

Does the stainless appliance have a heat rating? I know calipers get hot, I am guessing the paint is OK for ovens and such so they get hot, but is it rated hot enough?

Good point. Short answer is I don't know for sure. However, hammerite survives calipers just fine, and the appliance stuff is supposed to be ok on cookers, so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

After much nagging from the Missus I've decided to re use the original cover and front mud guard. It was a rare special edition, so I guess it's nice to keep the spirit alive...

011.jpg

I've another tank and guard already primed, so that's not a bad idea. I'll get some quotes when I get the seat done, see how anally invaded it'll leave me.

OK, apologies for the lack of updates. One of the downsides of being a carer is I don't always get the time I could like.

Things are still progressing, albeit slowly.

I've rebuilt the fuel cock with a repair kit and resprayed the fuel tank. That is to say the real tank, which is hidden from view once the dummy cover is fitted.

A few other brackets and bits repainted, and the Goodridge brake hose fittings cleaned up and polished.

I'm now cleaning up the shock, which I now believe is a GSXR600 unit rather than the 'busa unit I'd originally thought. The shock body was excellent, but the spring was a little tatty. Dismantled it all, cleaned up the spring and slipped a length of electrical heat shrink label over the spring. A few minutes with the hot air gun and it looks good as new, but won't chip like paint. Just need to reassemble.

Progress pics soon.

I''ve decided to spray the wheels with a fine truck bedliner, more in this soon.

And then I'll be starting on the frame. Watch this space.

I'm in. I like your inspiration pic. I have a 94' YZF750R that I want to get going one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom