74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

ddc2ededba8bdbdbca87396102373942.jpg

847c40bfd6f61356d0d67945c3231543.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I guess its time for an update. Split the cases last night, got everything out on the bench and washing all the engine housing parts. The centrifugal filter on this thing is an awful design, and there's no way to pull it out if its stuck (which of course this one was). So naturally I threaded a 10mm bolt in, popped it out, and cracked some kind of sleeve within the crankshaft. Lovely. Looks like it is a sleeve that serves as an oil passage, so I'll pull out the broken pieces, file it down, and make sure all the passages in the crank are clear of debris.

226c0e1ad61d06042d5385bec6a13c02.jpg

All Balls tapered bearings went in the steering stem. Pulled out the old races, froze the new ones and they slid right in. New bearings on stem, greased, polished the top tree and handlebar mounts and we now have a nice, clean, updated steering stem. Progress!

7c5c0d99086f774bd282836035c33d9d.jpg

I read a few articles about restoring old rubber parts with brake fluid. I'd never heard of it, but all the rubber on this thing was crumbling to bits. I did my best to save all the rubber bits on tear down.

Last night I filled a tub with some DOT3 and let all the rubber soak. Just popped them out and I'm blown away. It puffed them right up, basically filling in any cracks from previous damage, AND they're almost as squishy as new rubber. It didn't really clean up the rust discoloration on the rubber or make any damage go away (obviously) but I'm more than pleased with the results.

11987980b8738db66425d2c6b72befb8.jpg

Side note: a rubber clutch adjuster plug just sold for $60+ shipping at bid on eBay. The only one available, NOS. I have to make some bushings for the shocks and have polyurethane samples in the shop. I may have to start producing those parts aftermarket if the demand is that high
5e207a691e103a3f52c1f870101ae2a8.jpg

That NOS price is just asking for a smack in the head...

BTW I have an extra mud slinger (oil trap) you can have, just thread the inside of the busted part and pull it that way.

Tune-A-Fish said:
That NOS price is just asking for a smack in the head...

BTW I have an extra mud slinger (oil trap) you can have, just thread the inside of the busted part and pull it that way.

Thanks for the offer, but I actually picked up a new one on eBay for dirt cheap the same night that I botched mine. You mean thread the sleeve inside the crank to pull out the broken fragments? Or am I misunderstanding that.

Yeah, just run a tap in that wont mar the crank and then run a bolt in to get the trash out

The shaft has a spring ball on it, you can get it out

honda-xl350-1976-usa-oil-pumpoil-filter_bighu0042e5207_df2a.gif

I'm not seeing it in that diagram. That whole sleeve in the crankshaft comes out? I wouldn't want to change the balance on the crank by removing weight. The photo from above is looking into the crankshaft underneath the centrifugal filter

279c3a986ca298b9a540b5a9b143f2f3.jpg

I tapped and threaded a bolt into the filter to pop it out. When it hit the crank below, it cracked that sleeve inside the crank. In this photo you are looking down the inside of the crank, underneath gears 2 & 5 shown in the diagram you posted.
49d8bc419d7a8c37857dc18fe3bf0495.jpg

Tune-A-Fish said:
Yeah looks like you broke of the threaded shaft

You're confusing the shit outta me right now lol. The threads for the lock nut that hold the cup in place are fine. See below, the nut is threaded on to the crankshaft w/out the cup in place. You can see the crack piece inside.

2533c3761cf6d6b9e6e9ba80d0829275.jpg

adventurco said:
You're confusing the shit outta me right now lol. The threads for the lock nut that hold the cup in place are fine. See below, the nut is threaded on to the crankshaft w/out the cup in place. You can see the crack piece inside.

2533c3761cf6d6b9e6e9ba80d0829275.jpg

Haha! me too... I went out and looked, the tube your looking at has a steel ball at the end plugging it off from the crank end... I can't see where its serviceable but I think your fine if you clean it up

Look at the opposite end, you will see a ball, I am pretty sure that rod pushes the ball against a stop and never moves or only under extreme pressure as i cant move it at all. Clean up the end thats all buggered and run it

We have registration. Thanks VT for not giving a shit who registers a vehicle in your state! Luckily the plate made it here, since the numbnuts who put it in the envelope forgot to seal the thing, so the plate was just chillin in there.

14b2707389bd599c665dc5cafeabc99d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom