74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

Mr.E said:
I like to look up the old honda numbers, then plug those into ebay. lots of time you will find someone else has already cross referenced bearings and gone straight to mfg like the NMD one there. NMD is one of several bearing makers that supplies "oem" bearings to companies. Plus, pretty sure my elsinore uses the same ones ;)

Sweet. Good looks. I usually just go to all balls and get their part numbers. I do that with everything else though. Love those parts fiche diagrams.

I'll draw up those bushings eventually. Taking a step back from the motor for a couple days to put out some little fires here and there.

Any ideas? This thing is stuuuuuuuck. I can spin it back and forth with some effort, but the arm pin snapped so now I got no lever.

86286df7cd047a155140d8eabf3d6a07.jpg

0bb3a314e6bb54cb8e117f387d07ac8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

THis should look familiar...

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491468

adventurco said:
Any ideas? This thing is stuuuuuuuck. I can spin it back and forth with some effort, but the arm pin snapped so now I got no lever.

Most likely it is the needle bearing at the top of the shaft that is rusted/seized to the shaft. One option is to use a torch - carefully - to heat the bearing area and use a hammer and punch against the flared part of the shaft in the first photo to try to drive the shaft upwards. Second option would be to weld a threaded stud to the broken end of the shaft, then use a collar and nut to pull it out. You need a new left side case, shaft, bearing and seal. Wil; not be easy to find though.

-Bill

Headed up to NH for some camping this weekend, stopped off to pick up 60 lobsters and a few bushels of clams for my buddy and there was a cycle salvage yard nearby, figured I'd take a quick stop.

2de348e999da92f700b8d6764784e73d.jpg

And that's just the first floor. I could've spent all day in there. Picked up a muffler off a Yamaha enduro and a decent shape seat off a Kawi that should fit.

iatethepeach said:
Where in NH is the salvage yard?
It was actually in Fitchburg, MA pretty close to the NH line. Sky Cycle Salvage. So much good stuff, I could've hunted through there all day.

362b83d9572c4628a59bdd5d4f7246f4.jpg

Seat and silencer, think the silencer is off a KDX, should do the trick. May have to modify the seat pan a bit to fit but it's close to the stock shape on the XL.

Buddy put on a legit clam bake.

47066f1ad26cfabef5d95f8edc367840.jpg

All in all pretty successful weekend.

Another frustrating spoke ordeal. Started lacing up the rear wheel and the hub isn't even close to being centered on the rim, and like a noob I tore all the spokes off without measuring the hub offset. These shitty spokes are really starting to grind my gears. You can see below the difference in the elbow bend between the new spokes and the old.

eee07f6855c9a3eca2d995db1953becf.jpg

The outers seem to be causing the majority of the problem, everything looks close to centered with the inners only installed. There is a slight inward angle on the bend of the original outers, where the new spokes are at 90*. My first solution is to try and slightly bend the new spokes to get a closer match to the originals, but before I go ruining anything I thought I'd get a second opinion.

I've not been overly impressed with mine either. They are on there, and the wheel is mostly true, but it was pure hell. Not buying the Thai spokes ever again. I'll go back to buchannon or piece a stock set together. I haven't complained to the Thai company yet, kinda out of time before my big ride.

Mr.E said:
I've not been overly impressed with mine either. They are on there, and the wheel is mostly true, but it was pure hell. Not buying the Thai spokes ever again. I'll go back to buchannon or piece a stock set together. I haven't complained to the Thai company yet, kinda out of time before my big ride.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I was able to get the front wheel together by combining the two sets of spokes they sent me (after the initial screw up with the drum hub). It's pretty terrible, no quality control. They just guess on the spoke dimensions and send you the right length. Not sure what I'm going to do on this one.

Btw I ended up buying a "new" left side cover, it should be much more suitable for repair than the original one but I may try and refurbish them both if one goes well.

Sucks you guys are having such issues with the spokes. I got mine installed and trued in about an hour. No issues whatsoever. They aren't perfect, but they work fine.

Started over from scratch again. Pretty sure I've gotten off to the right start with the inners and the offset is just about at 10.5mm but these last set of outers are just so far away. The spokes don't sit in the grooves from the old spokes due to the angle of the elbow, and it seems like the difference is adding up by the time I get to the second set of outers.

c84f064a70102d3f8ded9ddfbd3c8f4f.jpg

3dfbb5c8c39fd7e5a1c5b2dea5966dfa.jpg

Am I missing something obvious?

I lace up one side at a time. If the hub is offset, like for a speedo gear, I do that side first because you can lay it flat on the table. Then, when done, I flip it over and do the other side with the rim up on blocks. I only turn the nipples a few screws each- maybe 5 finger turns at the most. If you keep them all equal, it's easier to true later. If you tighten one side down too much, you can make it so the other side won't thread on. For 36 hole, 2 cross wheels, your spokes should have 3 holes in-between. You also have to get the other side (inside or outside) started on the right hole, or they won't work.

Looking at that last pic, you need to put the rim up on something. The hub should be centered, or have it's proper offset.

Back
Top Bottom