74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

Speaking of which, turns out the one I bought a couple weeks ago is not as good as I initially thought, and is basically scrap. The hardware on the other hand, is in good shape.

578a861d1ea255f3ccd762d72878cc55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

trek97 said:
what the heck causes those covers to do that?
Water. Magnesium disintegrates when exposed to water, or condensation, for long periods of time.

deviant said:
Water. Magnesium disintegrates when exposed to water, or condensation, for long periods of time.
I didnt know that. assumed they were aluminum.

Yeah magnesium, great idea.

Got a call from the machine shop this morning, and one of the exhaust valves is bent. Any of you guys have an extra stock 250/350 valve around?

adventurco said:
Yeah magnesium, great idea.

Got a call from the machine shop this morning, and one of the exhaust valves is bent. Any of you guys have an extra stock 250/350 valve around?

Yes

deviant said:

My hero. PM sent.

The suck part about it is that I'm moving on Friday, so I'm going to have to move without the head, have the machining finished and then have it picked up and shipped to me. Oh well.

\_(ツ)_/

Progress is pretty much at a halt for now. Most of the parts are in boxes ready to get shipped. I tossed on the front sprocket I got in, which has bolt holes for both the 250 and 350 plate I believe. The plate I have won't work, since the bolt holes line up with spaces instead of the teeth like I need.

7a84ef054ce3a9ed4990842d9515ad3d.jpg

adventurco said:
Progress is pretty much at a halt for now. Most of the parts are in boxes ready to get shipped. I tossed on the front sprocket I got in, which has bolt holes for both the 250 and 350 plate I believe. The plate I have won't work, since the bolt holes line up with spaces instead of the teeth like I need.

7a84ef054ce3a9ed4990842d9515ad3d.jpg

You have to rotate the lock plate in the groove on the countershaft. You have the right part.

So after completely botching the braze job on the tank last week (I was using the wrong rod), I picked up some fluxed bronze brazing rod and picked up where I left off. I had tried to flow the bronze into the back seam to seal up the swiss cheese, but basically just ended up with a giant mess of unused flux, and a hole blown through where I tried to use the MIG (don't do it).

I couldn't get in there to clean it out, so I formulated a new plan. Cut off the tank mount to expose the damaged area, clean it up to get a proper weld, and then braze the tank mount back into position. Easy, right?

3f9e9df89360beef854b7b787cc027ea.jpg

Swiss cheese. Real cheesy.

7489efbd1948aa54215131f48e5196df.jpg

816ab6bfd1ff7e57f7a21a4426ce6b48.jpg

Brazed up. This plan works much better, since I can actually see what I'm doing. I will let the tank cool naturally, spray some soapy water on the seam and blow into it with the shop vac to see if were sealed up.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Nice! turn the kennel into a chicken coup the smell is dreamy :-[

Hah yep that's the plan I think it was a coop at one point we may get a few to help out with the lawn maintenance

Back
Top Bottom