74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

Nothing like fresh eggs that you don't have to worry about salmonella or even refrigeration.

Valves and head
63c2e61b2c9d6c04e1138a7e90cfbbab.jpg

Ran em on the soft wheel look good by eye no grind on tips
5e9dac27930a4d49299304e879133f1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Tune-A-Fish said:
Ran em on the soft wheel look good by eye no grind on tips

Just heard from machinist they're both bent :'( :'( The hunt continues

Found some NOS on eBay, may just go that route I'm about had it with these valves at this point, engine been open too long.

Other news, third times a charm with the spokes. New set is in should get to lace up the rear wheel this weekend and have a roller.

Hell! they sat in the seat nice and the carbon had no marks, I guess i could have run a dial indicator on them.

adventurco said:
Just heard from machinist they're both bent :'( :'( The hunt continues

Found some NOS on eBay, may just go that route I'm about had it with these valves at this point, engine been open too long.

Other news, third times a charm with the spokes. New set is in should get to lace up the rear wheel this weekend and have a roller.

I gave up and took my wheels to the Honda shop locally. Old guy there had them fixed pretty quick and then asked why I couldn't do it. I'd be happy if I don't touch a front xl/cr wheel again.

Mr.E said:
I gave up and took my wheels to the Honda shop locally. Old guy there had them fixed pretty quick and then asked why I couldn't do it. I'd be happy if I don't touch a front xl/cr wheel again.

Does the Elsy have the front hub with the bolt on plate for the long spokes? I had a hell of a time with that thing. Finally got it laced it up and the holes were off a space ;D

adventurco said:
Does the Elsy have the front hub with the bolt on plate for the long spokes? I had a hell of a time with that thing. Finally got it laced it up and the holes were off a space ;D

exactly that. I did too, twice. So i gave up and took it to the local shop

New spokes laced up. They look reasonable...but still need to be seated. One of the nipples found its way onto the deck of the trailer during the move. I picked it up and stuffed it in my pocket, but I have no idea where it ended up. Tore apart the truck and toolbox to no avail. Going to see if I can scrounge one from the CB but not sure if I kept any of the old spokes.

e385f92b9d314ea87c7b7b3b53b5a344.jpg

A decent looking tank came up on eBay, so I pulled the trigger. I'll get the original tank sealed up eventually but hopefully I can toss this one on in the meantime.

Tune-A-Fish said:
A/C?

Seems like a lot of exposed threads but they look fine, not SS Buchanan's Foien but fine ;D

Nope not yet. Ran up and down all day Friday but no luck. We borrowed a bit window unit to cool the house for now.

I only have them twisted on 3-4 turns in the pic they should seat fine once I get em all tightened. The old spokes stuck out 1.5cm all the way around bottomed out on the threads, I'll keep em around though got a full set of random length spokes now.

3efd7ee798726ffbd2431cc93fbfee67.jpg

The elusive nipple! Started working out in the shop out back and it turned up, knew that little bastard was somewhere.

Head is finally buttoned up at the machine shop. Only problem is its 2,000 miles away back in MA. Flying back this weekend to take care of some loose ends so I'll pack it up and ship it back, finally get this motor back together.

be59fb4059219afa7b90bb1cd9ded6f3.jpg

So the back hoop is trash, nice big dent in it. Gonna true it up as best I can for now and throw the rubber on it...this thing ain't going on the highway anyways. If I keep it I'll have to buy a new set.

They make washers too. Not sure if you need them or not, but I know on my GL rims they have washers.

deviant said:
They make washers too. Not sure if you need them or not, but I know on my GL rims they have washers.

Naw I think these are good without, they didn't have washers originally either. The spokes suck but I'm gonna tap the dent in a bit with a mallet to straighten it out a bit and get it as close as I can.

These rims have been abused. Looks like an S

I snagged this decent looking tank off he 'bay a couple weeks ago, since I don't have the time right now with the new house to keep messing with the original tank. It came in today, and looks really solid. No scaling on the inside, the seam at the back looks good. A quick etch and seal and this thing will be on and ready. The paint isn't bad, there are a couple of significant dents so I'll see if I can't pop them out from the inside before I seal it. Not going to worry about a new coat of paint right now, maybe down the road.

81210929b6ec4f2559f000983fa790e2.jpg

e6255bc1be89abe697f2b25d3bd52213.jpg

I know Kamn will be disappointed I didn't seal up the original tank, but I do plan on finishing up that one when I have some more free time

Back
Top Bottom