74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

It will free up, likely just nasty old grease, you don't have to take it all apart just get the cam off and clean it use just a touch of moly grease going back

144b733a0bb25b0713480b0f5e23cf13.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Been putting out little fires here and there. Got the advancer polished up and reassembled. I found that one of the posts had 3 little thrust washers below the circlip and one had 2, possibly to make up for discrepancies in mfg? Tough to see in the photo though but it's there.

Put it all back together and greased, there's no slop on the hinges for the weights so I guess I've got it right.

92c2b8dbbd884a2e3f0cac3ae49f84b3.jpg

da466a2f6022583219384ca54fb6d9f1.jpg

Points plate assembled and everything back in place. Using an aftermarket Denso breaker point, I've heard they're not the best but the stock one is shot. I found some OEM ones on eBay for short money I may pick up in case this one sucks. New heat shrink, etc etc. Not timed yet...

56577daeb6ae438124dea73035fe3cad.jpg

Got the fenders painted up and riveted back together. Ended up using some silver paint left over from a job, came out pretty decent considering what I started with.
b4d0f4470fc97accae6fd6b4b87e2426.jpg

28fa90f840591966bebef7d85fa98d14.jpg

FINALLY got a left case cover that I can use. Had to JB weld some pitting on the outside. Had a cleaned up needle bearing and actuator from another case ready to go so fit everything together with some grease and a new dust seal and were in business.

5ed2a77dfab399f5bc42dae2950ded85.jpg

Blocked the air-cut valve on the carby. Pretty sure I've got this right. The documentation on this mod has pics with pretty poor context so I'm not 100%. I cut out a piece of fuel line with a punch, may be a tad thick so if I'm idling high on startup I know where to look. Anyone whose done this mod care to check my 'work'?

e758a7723081ab40af2637d4c71e6df0.jpg

Got my hands on a FMF power core 4 pretty beat up an a nice shape muffler off a YZ or something. Top muffler is a KDX I bought originally at the salvage yard but it's giant and I don't think I can make it work with the suspension.

The YZ muffler looks the best I may try and fit that, gotta get the back tire in place then mock it up.

11dfbf12bf512558af3413aa8b795c65.jpg

Nice! they come apart easy, clean up nice and the cans are likely the diameter so interchangeable parts

adventurco said:
Blocked the air-cut valve on the carby. Pretty sure I've got this right. The documentation on this mod has pics with pretty poor context so I'm not 100%. I cut out a piece of fuel line with a punch, may be a tad thick so if I'm idling high on startup I know where to look. Anyone whose done this mod care to check my 'work'?

e758a7723081ab40af2637d4c71e6df0.jpg

That's right, playa.

Sweeeeet.

a91227064e78d6481658ffb603df91fa.jpg

Bolted the shocks up with some new flange bolts from McMaster. Turns out M10x1.25 is pretty uncommon size/pitch. Tossed the wheels back on for good this time. Hooked up the front brake - I'm pretty unimpressed with the fitment of the cable, seems like the jacket is about 1/8" too long so I have basically zero room to adjust. But I don't feel like trimming it so I'll just have to wait until the shoes seat in and the cable stretches a little bit.

Next on the list is to fit the airbox and finish cleaning/re wrap the harness.

Thanks fellas. I was going to start making a punch list last night but it was getting too long to call it a punch list so I'll wait til next week :D

Sprayed the plastic covers in satin black. I think I'll put some vinyl on there...I wanted to hand paint on em but I don't have any striping paint and well, I have a vinyl cutter.
85f2d657abbaeb0159f1661a1af6663b.jpg

Started work on the electrical. Lashed up the coil using some m6 nuts as spacers. Had to ream the holes on the coil to mount it, spacing was about 2mm off for the factory mount
af4ead09d45124ac9146ee9aff616ecd.jpg

Taped up the harness using some wiring loom self adhering tape. Stuff is great and no sticky mess if I have to pull it apart for any reason. I soldered in a nice weather proof blade fuse holder, soldered on the connections for the new R/R (thanks Matt), and ended up running a new hot wire to the ignition cuz the one that was there was all burnt up. Great part about the loom tape is you can add wires after you've already wrapped it, just wrap it some more!

7b5b31e288b6621cdc60dbb55d4ecdaf.jpg

Gotta put some sleeves on the rest of the connections, I bought some 1/8" vinyl tube I'm going to make a tool out of some crappy pliers to crimp it over the connectors. More on that later.

Thanks man!

So this being a pretty budget build, I'm cleaning up all the old connectors. I hate cleaning the housing for the female ends, so I make new ones with vinyl tube. I made a quick video to demonstrate "the process"

ccf788d06719b368b80472d66efa7f7a.jpg

stroker crazy said:
It looks like Ichiban Moto has a competitor!

Crazy

I can't compete, I don't have badass hand made tools like Ichiban does. Or badass stickers.

Just tell it like it is

adventurco said:
So this being a pretty budget build, I'm cleaning up all the old connectors. I hate cleaning the housing for the female ends, so I make new ones with vinyl tube. I made a quick video to demonstrate "the process"

This is great- I plan to do the same with my failing connectors. Thanks for posting the video!

iatethepeach said:
This is great- I plan to do the same with my failing connectors. Thanks for posting the video!

No problem! Hope it helps. I use different size vinyl tubing for the male connectors and for the 3-way female connectors as well. Some of them have to be crimped on multiple sides but as long as you bond it to the wire jacket you're set

Back
Top Bottom