74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

Had to paint trim and doors in the house today, so that was...fun. Got a few hours in the shop so I decided to clean up the workbenches and organize my projects.

Made a punch list. And a parts list. Mostly no lights for the moment I'll address that after Barber. Let me know if I missed anything.

aaf8f9d1410d014d541dca8288690640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Lashed up new R/R in the factory spot, locks into the factory slot as well. It protrudes a bit further but still clears the airbox no problem. Put a couple flat washers behind the unit to allow some airflow.

f1c65f24d02ef67d55110fb2bf040c3e.jpg

12f626c29e1959b491dfc6df863a9d9e.jpg

Looks good, maybe drill some speed holes in the back for even more air airflow!

adventurco said:
Had to paint trim and doors in the house today, so that was...fun. Got a few hours in the shop so I decided to clean up the workbenches and organize my projects.

Made a punch list. And a parts list. Mostly no lights for the moment I'll address that after Barber. Let me know if I missed anything.

aaf8f9d1410d014d541dca8288690640.jpg

I have one of these lists for barber for the interceptor. Problem is, evertime I cross something off I think of a new thing to add haha

Ha, I had one of those lists for the GL to be done for my Cabot trail ride, it worked, but again like Hurco, you seem to cross off 2 things and a new thing back for a bit.

Making lists indicates wisdom, adding to them indicates creativity and confirmed brain function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchn06 said:
Is that a 6V Reg/Rec?

Yes, it is. Got it from Sparck (Sonrier).

hurco550 said:
I have one of these lists for barber for the interceptor. Problem is, evertime I cross something off I think of a new thing to add haha

Yep I have added a couple things that I forgot but for the most part been crossing stuff off 8)

mitchn06 said:
Cool, is it the "step up converter?

Just a standard R/R that combines the separate regulator and rectifier from the original harness. I was going to swap to a 12v system but I had already purchased a battery and the R/R so I'm going to stick to the 6v for now. I can always use a step up to 12v to run the lights, if necessary.

adventurco said:
Just a standard R/R that combines the separate regulator and rectifier from the original harness. I was going to swap to a 12v system but I had already purchased a battery and the R/R so I'm going to stick to the 6v for now. I can always use a step up to 12v to run the lights, if necessary.
Ok, in my state, only lights required are headlight and tail/brake light. But finding a decent 6v aftermarket headlight is difficult. Was going to go full LED. So 12v would be good, but still doable with 6V, but not as easy. And current draw as we all know is significantly less with LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchn06 said:
Ok, in my state, only lights required are headlight and tail/brake light. But finding a decent 6v aftermarket headlight is difficult. Was going to go full LED. So 12v would be good, but still doable with 6V, but not as easy. And current draw as we all know is significantly less with LEDs.

Yep Sparck sells a step up converter. I am going through the same issue with headlights so I may end up going that route, and keeping the rest of the lights at 6v. If you happen to find a good 6v headlight, let me know.

Here's a quick mockup of how I may mount the muffler, this is using the stock mounting hardware and the YZ muffler. The quality on this one seems much better than the FMF but using the mounting point is going to pose a problem, and I'm not set up to weld aluminum or TI which I believe the inlet pipe is made of.

f6bde643863ea65b2715545b631d3dbe.jpg

6863c43effe28ce2526babcd751ba0b0.jpg

couldn't you remove the permanent bracket and make a nice moveable one for the can u like?
or make up a new frame to can piece

Nj732port said:
couldn't you remove the permanent bracket and make a nice moveable one for the can u like?
or make up a new frame to can piece

Yeah, I could but I'm not set up to weld aluminum so I'm kinda out of luck there.

canyoncarver said:
Nice "patina" on the exhaust hangar.

Thanks. I thought that was a nice touch, a hint to the past of the bike hah!

Set the cam chain tension and valves last night. Someday I'll get the proper tool for doing these valves. Started to set the timing, but the eBay special ignition switch I got isn't working. The wires may need to be switched around, I gotta check the continuity between the leads.

I bypassed the ignition switch but started blowing fuses, so I called it a night.

Fun little project that got me to finally set up my welder in the shop. The stock footpegs once had rubber on them to give something substantial to stand on, but all of that was gone and I was left with some skinny daggers. This wouldn't do.

6db8e542ff88f008af0c1b9aa50a2302.jpg

So I swapped out the plug on the welder to match the outlet in the shop, and set out to weld (on a terrible welding surface). I cut a piece of 3/8" steel rod I had lying around into 4 equal-ish pieces, and welded fore and aft on each peg.

bd2b6ba458ba3dcf393c3fd7843a083c.jpg

Cut some grooves with the angle grinder and smoothed them out as much as I cared to.

be22644dc7225d0a13075b201e2dea5a.jpg

Black epoxy.

78da01ad2b07df0225e44e83d8df9fb6.jpg

Dipped in clear plasti-dip and cut and peeled the excess around the mounting area. Looks good to me, just need to get the right mounting hardware.

d0c754988eb7ff252ba2a7fe1f3a6d97.jpg

Back
Top Bottom