74 Honda XL 350 - The Turd

iatethepeach said:
Pretty. Is there a bottom shelf, too? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

There is. Its suspended underneath. Its tough to get a decent angle on it, the shop is pretty cramped, but i'll have some good photos of it once its all buttoned up.

Small update but I'm trying to gain some steam and get this thing buttoned up within the next few weeks. I have a couple new projects brewing, so it's time to wrap this build up and put 'er on the road.

All the original cable stay brackets were ruined by rust, so I pulled out the tin snips and worked some sheet metal.

bb3ac765ea46b91d7f25234406cc4eaa.jpg

dc94ba048b05d59d30f272ab91cf4cd8.jpg

Here they are installed.

771917d117a459038f033b7ac9046832.jpg

d38c49a15fc697277f0c53860cba94bb.jpg

435ce4ce14ce54451848886b9d802520.jpg

And one for the speedo cable since that was junk as well

52e7bd96428193ffd4510f824962dfd3.jpg

Yesterday's project was to mount up the KTM barkbusters I snagged at the Barber swap meet for a few bucks. They were made for 1" thick walled bars and the bars i have are 7/8". So I modeled and 3D printed some spacers for the bar clamps to take up the space there, and welded 8mm nuts inside the bars since the aluminum expanding inserts were too small to get a tight fit.

9b71aa84764426a259c1d988ebb00769.jpg

614ae5d682db03802eca1435694049de.jpg

d98dd69d690be5ff53f193651d81bc73.jpg

Stuck an 8mm bolt in the drill and locked the cut-off aluminum spacers in there. Spun them down with a file and some paper to get rid of the nasty gouge marks. It's a redneck lathe but worked a treat.

5e2356a3fd970fc8e97d4d7b7efc6bf4.jpg

And here we are all installed.

641ccf3776c3ee3dc4ea2682aea1f47e.jpg

Fun little project. Would have been way less time consuming to order a pair that bolted right up but what's the fun in that.

The beveled spacers that go into the ends are all busted up. I'm going to model them and have them 3D printed in aluminum, since I don't have a lathe. Works the same, but the turnaround time is a few weeks so that's the only downside.

Cast them yourself in aluminum. It's not that hard, since it melts at such a low temp. You can melt it with a torch, or even charcoal. Cast your model, reproduce in wax, cast the wax, melt wax out, pour aluminum. Easy peasy.

irk miller said:
Cast them yourself in aluminum. It's not that hard, since it melts at such a low temp. You can melt it with a torch, or even charcoal.

I need to get some casting sand, I have a solder pot that might melt aluminum..have to check the specs.

advCo said:
I need to get some casting sand, I have a solder pot that might melt aluminum..have to check the specs.
You can melt aluminum in a steel can.

You don't need casting sand, which is basically bentonite and silica sand. You can do it in silica/plaster molds.

advCo said:
It's a redneck lathe but worked a treat.

5e2356a3fd970fc8e97d4d7b7efc6bf4.jpg

Youre a man after my own heart. Thats the same sort of shit I have to pull all the time cause I dont own any "real" tools.

Also, if you play w molten aluminum, babbitt, lead, etc. Be absolutely cautious WATER (rain drop, sweat, etc) CAN NOT accidentally enter the mix. Molten aluminum and water is VERY VERY EXPLOSIVE. Splatters of molten aluminum on your hands, face or eyes.

Well, that would just hurt like a mother fucker.

Didn't like the little nub I welded onto the kickstand a while back, so I hacked it off and made a new one out of steel rod. Looks much better now, and will be real easy to reach the kickstand once the muffler is installed

29f11ae215abbd052da56cab9eb104f6.jpg

189dde98f460515356c463f16b4a327c.jpg

Had to trim back the skid plate to fit by the header.
27a988e82ed82016e76f42a8a7f631a5.jpg

851b12d246e047c9e7a5e1e28dc38304.jpg

Drilled some speed holes in the stainless RR bracket for ventilation, and got the new Sparck Moto 12v RR installed. Just have to get it wired up. 12v bulbs are on the way and the battery will be installed today.

d411d322ad02d914ca509916882cbea9.jpg

Panniers are mounted, luggage rack is being painted. Have to sort a few details out on the panniers like a hinge and locks.

It's getting there fellas. Starting to feel good.

Today's issue to sort was the panniers. I disliked having to unlatch the front and back to open the boxes, so I hacked the latch off the front end to make space for a hinge. I used a piece of 3/16" rod filed to a point as a drift to open up the end so I could slide some 1/4" rod in and weld it to the box.

Left is welded up with a hinge, right side is untouched.

e041dd904b08fe5e11df7c982dd28ffd.jpg

Inside the box, still needs to be cleaned up
35c25677908ff33c80b97ce5a752cd80.jpg

I was going to buy some aluminum or stainless drawer pulls to use as tie down points on the panniers, but after I cut the old handles off I realized they were perfect for what I need. Trimmed them down and welded them on.

d1e718e69eb28dd89bc403d4e2171267.jpg

Quick vid of the hinge action. Works well enough for me.

https://youtu.be/zZS4sRfSCm4

These are getting close to paint!

Cool. The double latch would have driven me nuts, too. Nice work on the hinge!

If you didn't already mount the panniers, here are my unsolicited tips: first, try to angle them slightly so stuff tends to slide forward- that way it's easy to keep heavy stuff toward the front. Also, if you're adding a rack/platform in-between them, keep the boxes a half inch or so higher. That way, anything you strap down has that lip on each side to help keep it in place.

Finally, I don't know if you care or if you already plan to do this, but I've found you can grind off those spot welds pretty easily if you're patient. In other words, you could also delete the now-redundant latch plates from the fronts of the panniers (under your new hinges).

The recycled anchor points were a good call, too! I'm looking forward to seeing everything painted.

iatethepeach said:
Cool. The double latch would have driven me nuts, too. Nice work on the hinge!

If you didn't already mount the panniers, here are my unsolicited tips: first, try to angle them slightly so stuff tends to slide forward- that way it's easy to keep heavy stuff toward the front. Also, if you're adding a rack/platform in-between them, keep the boxes a half inch or so higher. That way, anything you strap down has that lip on each side to help keep it in place.

I actually did mount them angled forward a bit so they would line up with the luggage rack. Good to hear that I accidentally did that part right. I've never had a bike with bags or panniers before, so I'm guessing on a lot of this stuff.

I ended up making the top of the boxes flush with the rack, since I am going to add passenger pegs so I can ride 2-up. If they were any higher, the corners of the panniers were diggin into my girlfriends legs, so I tried to tuck them out of the way a bit.

iatethepeach said:
Finally, I don't know if you care or if you already plan to do this, but I've found you can grind off those spot welds pretty easily if you're patient. In other words, you could also delete the now-redundant latch plates from the fronts of the panniers (under your new hinges).

I actually thought about that, I had luck with a pry bar pulling up the spot welds on the side. I'm going to leave the latch plates, I kinda like the look of it, breaks up the plane.

Back
Top Bottom