1980 CB750C Tracker Build

jross0228

Hey everyone! Been lurking on here for a while and have been using this as a great resource while working on my previous build. This year I have a new build that I am working on and thought it would be great to share it with the dtt community.

I picked up a 1980 CB750C for $25 as a package deal with a 1982 GL1100. My plan is to clean it up, get it running and turn it into a flat tracker that I can beat on and have some fun with.

Here’s a pic from when I picked the bike up. It looked a lot better in the photo than it did in person. It had not run in at least ten years, and the previous owner had drained the oil from the engine and gas from the tank. The engine spun freely and the tank looked perfect inside.

Got the bike running and everything seems to be working. Then I began to tear the bike down and get some parts on order.

Next step is to figure out the best battery for this bike/build, then I can fabricate a mount and start to work on the wiring for the other electronics.

I'll try to update this as the build evolves. I look forward to hearing from you guys and being apart of this great community!

Thanks djmaynard!

So I got the tail section and the taillight and started mocking it up on the bike last night.

I also wanted to add a headlight cowl for the front of the bike. A co-worker had one off a Buell Cyclone that I could borrow for a bit but he wants to use it on his project bike. I had never done any fiberglass work, but decided I would give it a shot. So far I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It will still need a bit of finishing work to make it look nice, but the shape is there!

This looks awesome, excited to see what you do with it - did it come with the pods pre-installed, or did you switch to those from the airbox? If you switched, can you share any details on what you did for jetting?

SpankRock said:
This looks awesome, excited to see what you do with it - did it come with the pods pre-installed, or did you switch to those from the airbox? If you switched, can you share any details on what you did for jetting?

Thanks! I installed the pods on this bike. So far it runs pretty well, will need some adjustments once I get it up and running again. It has a little hiccup at full throttle, but runs well everywhere else. I'll keep you posted when I do the final jetting!

vandito.cb said:
dammit, i wanted a tail like that for my CB too. where'd you get it and how's it fit?

I found this tail section on ebay, here is a link to the one I got http://www.ebay.com/itm/182149798855?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It seems to fit pretty well so far but will require some modifications to the frame. I cut off the rear seat mount and cut a section of the back of the frame so that it tucks under the tail section. I am still working on getting it to fit the front of the frame a little better. I also want to weld on a new support for the back of the tail section and it will give me a place to mount the tail light. Here are a few photos of the progress so far!

I also need to figure out what battery I want to run on this bike. I have read through a few posts about Lithium-ion batteries and people seem to have mixed results using this battery with the stock charging systems. I think I might go with a gel battery for this bike. It will be bigger and heavier, but I think it will be more reliable for this bike. Anyone have any thoughts about battery options for this bike/charging system?

Back
Top Bottom