'77 CB550F Electrical issues

Kokoda

Having issues reconnecting a new harness and new left and right switches. I have. '77 CB550f which I am trying to restore. I had the wiring harness redone and purchased new left and right controls from Dime City. My issue has been getting power to the starter. On my right control, I have six wires:
Black/red
Black
Black/White
Brown/White
Yellow/Red
Green/Red

I am unsure where they all connect as on my harness the colours don't directly match.

I am also confused with the silicon rectifier that has a green/red wire and a light green/pink wire in and out. The green/red comes from the starter solenoid but I am not sure where the the light green/pink goes to? I did find one that links to the neutral light on the dash. Unsure if this is correct.
I am thinking that there may be a link to either a clutch or neutral switch that is preventing the start button working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dcc should've sent a wiring diagram with the controls. There's always one whenever I've bought a "wired" item from them. Without that your gonna have to open up the controls to see what goes where (note- if your un sure of doing this don't, controls usually have springs and switches which loosen when you open them). If you don't have the diagram for the control email them to get one.

That diode (silicon rectifier) if it's what I think it is that your describing. Is called the "clutch operated switch" on a cb550 wiring diagram. If the green/red comes from the solenoid the other side will go to ground. I can't tell you where because I can't see your harness, but it's definitely a ground wire on the other side of g/r. Look at the wiring diagram for the 550. You can basically follow the lines an take educated guesses as to what goes where. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

You can test all of the wires using a multimeter.

Turn all of the switches off, except for one. Then pic a wire to start with and read resistance between it and the other five wires.

If you don't get a "hit", pick another wire and repeat until you get a match that has continuity. Next, flip the switch off and ensure that continuity is lost.

work9to5 has the info you need on the clutch switch. Diagram should show it as well.

The diode in wiring with green/red is what Honda calls 'logic circuit' and is part of the starter lock out so it won't start in gear without pulling in clutch
Green /red on right switch crosses over to clutch switch on left bar. Yellow /red goes to starter solenoid.
Any black wire should have 12v when ignition is turned on, B/R will be starter circuit or kill switch, I forget which as I haven't done one for a long time and can't be bothered to go find service manual (it's 4:18am)

Back
Top Bottom