Other electronics required for the starter to work?

sbelshe

Been Around the Block
I have a '74 CB360 that is in mock-up. I have only added back in necessary electronics to tune the motor, it has points, condenser and coils, and kill switch. The bike came with no wiring harness so for now I'm working with what I have.

The bike starts perfect on the first kick every time and runs great, but will not start when I try to use the starter. It cranks over but won't fire. I don't have a solenoid hooked up, I'm jumping the starter straight to a 230CCA battery just for testing. I even tried another starter motor, nothing.

So the question is, are other electronics REQUIRED for the starter to actually start the motor? This doesn't really make sense to me, but would a stator, regulator or rectifier not being present be the problem?

Thanks

Hmm, I've tried the same setup with a solenoid and used a button to trigger it and got the same result unfortunately.

There's a battery, I'm testing with bigger battery with 230CCA so I can jam on it harder for testing. It cranks the starter but seems to start dragging even while not draining the battery.

I've had no problems testing and bump starting starter motors like this. I have not used a larger battery like you described. I usually test (when I have the time) with a solenoid hooked up. Generally if the starter jumps like you described though you have a good starter. A stator, regulator/rectifier not being present would not effect what your talking about. They only have effect on the back end (charging). I would advise getting the correct size battery, fuses and a solenoid and going from there. I bet your problem disappears. This is just a guess but I'm thinking your starter can't deal with the bigger load from the larger battery. I'd be worried about killing the starter motor using the bigger battery. If you need help with how to wire the solenoid in just DM me.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I assumed the same about the charing system, none of it was necessary to get the motor to start. I've tried it with the solenoid and the correct size battery to no avail. Though, I have worked on many other things since them, so maybe I have fixed it without knowing.

I'll go back and use the right size battery and hook back up the solenoid and see what I get, thanks.

If that doesn't work and this is a worse case scenario. Is that your starter gear is broken or dislocated in some way (actual gear in the motor that connects to the starter motor)If you've got the starter out of the bike. Look in where the teeth of the starter motor go in to the engine. No weirdness, the teeth of the starter mate up smoothly when inserted with no undue wiggle? That's worse case tho.

I say finish it and ride kick only! Get that thing on the road good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

I know that the starter gear is good, I've had the left side cover off many times to ensure everything is kosher.

Haha, i hear you, I have another 360 that I ride, this one is the crazy project that's a LONG way from being done.

Back
Top Bottom