FRANKENHONDA II the 1982 DOHC CB 750F2 Build

The Jimbonaut said:
I did some fibreglassing on my old VW bus which ended up being an abomination - what you're doing here is pretty inspiring. I might have to give it another go...

Mate I don't want to sound like a dick or anything but I noticed the cylinder head intake and exhaust ports don't have any shop cloths stuffed into them to stop any shit falling inside. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

Fair call it was covered up until this break, luckily this time around all my sanding has been done wet out side the garage.

But I should definitely stuff something in there I don’t think fibreglass dust helps combustion any

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

teazer said:
Just a thought, but if you took a straight line from the bottom of the seat to front of the tank and painted it black below that line, would that work with the tanks side shape? It might just disguise the shape enough to provide that table top look as I call it.

Or just copy the way that the CB900 in the shout box did it to tie the two lines together.

I believe I will probably tackle that line last, it definitely won’t be happening this break. I’ll add it to my ever increasing list of further modifications required

So this is pretty rough, and who knows how many weeks from finished. But this is the loose idea

I haven’t done anything other than free it from the tank and cut out a rough shape

(Rookie error #209 always use releasing agent)

There is a heap of work to come plus need to figure out how I’m going to put it I put one photo in with it spun around

Last few sketches are from Old man Murphy explaining the angle that the front fairing should be placed on, so the angles decided just have to imagine the right shape now

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 206
With all due respect to whoever Old man Murphy is, someone is being really silly here. There is no "pivot point" that's BS from a design point of view and has little or no relevance IMHO.

What are you looking for? I know you don't have the final answer of all answers, but what have you seen that you like? What do you want it to look like. BS about bone lines and pivot points is just not part of the discussion.

One often wants a slight rake angle on a front number plate. Why? because it helps in some small way to direct air over your head, but too low and it simply causes air to crash into your chest or worse your head. It "looks" right because that's what Norton and others used to do before fairings were more common and they did it to get a small improvement in drag when tucked in on the tank at the IOM.

For the rest of us in the real world, all we want is something that looks nice and that's a totally personal choice. On the Phat Trakka, I tried a couple of cheap aftermarket headlamp-fairing arrangements and they sucked. What I wanted on that bike was a front number plate that looked somewhat reminiscent of a Flat Track bike, so that's where I looked for design inspiration.

In the end I couldn't find a shape there that worked but noticed that a couple of Motocross or dual sport bikes had interesting shapes of front plates and that's the shape I adapted. I took an 8x11 white plastic side number plate and bent both sides back with a heat gun and a piece of wood to act as a former. Then I trimmed the bottom and top of the sides to get a more hexagonal sort of shape and then cut holes for the headlamps and mounted it parallel to the fork tubes.

http://pinkpossum.com/miscbikestuff/PT-2.jpg

That may not be the look you are going for but hope it gives you a place to start thinking.

Dude you drop that thing a few inches and chop about 5” off the bottom, could be in business

stroker crazy said:
It looks like you could be on the right track.

(don't listen to all this talk about trash cans!)

Crazy

Lol all good, all for constructive criticism, unfortunately Old man Murphy, is my old man and he’s got the street cred with me, the sketches are just how he explains stuff

Based on that the angle is sorted

Now what I’m doing is narrowing the fender, or actually I guess I’m making it more rectangle

Once I have the front shape sorted I’ll look at building the underside and sides

Unfortunately it’s a little too late for me to break out the angle grinder as jnr is going down for his nap, unhappy baby = unhappy wife = unhappy life so I’ll pack it in for now come at it first thing tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
Not sure if this helps but your fairing made me think of this one, the angle may work for you.

Attachments

• 2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-buyers-guide-1 (1).jpg
    2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-buyers-guide-1 (1).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 202
So today I got out the angle grinder to try and release the fairing that was hidden within the fibreglass

I’ve cut it into a nicer shape I can see I will still need to build the top section up to create more of a rectangle

I also propped the top out a little further as before it was basically resting upon the instruments

Slowly starting to come to life if the seat is anything to go by I should nearly be done in another 8weeks

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 196
much better! almost looks like a starwars droid or something. are you going to do a single headlight in the center or the projector beams/led offset or something?

MiniatureNinja said:
much better! almost looks like a starwars droid or something. are you going to do a single headlight in the center or the projector beams/led offset or something?

I’ve got three of these was thinking offset but I’m not sure

One thing that was really important to me was the flow of the bike, a lot of the time I see builds and they look like the head light tank seat we’re all slapped together but don’t tie in together.

This is why I baked my noodle for so long with the seat it was paramount that it tied into the tank.

I’m still not 100% on this fairing, I really like the old school headlight no fairing set up, but I was thinking it would be windy AF at highway speeds over long distances.

I really want this bike to be my cruiser for long rides, the R1 is shitloads of fun but on a long ride gets real uncomfortable, and I’m not getting any younger.

This is why I put the 2.5” risers on, and have the rear sets nearly in a stock position. Function and form, just a pain that they’re so hard to marry up into something that is aesthetically pleasing.

Attachments

• IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 225
So I wasn’t happy with the fibreglass attempt and decided to give the perspex a crack again

I cut a piece and made sure it was all square then placed it upon the tank using the the fibreglass fairing to help press it down as I heated it with the heat gun

Looks a lot neater

Still don’t know if I’m feeling it, I fly out to work soon so I’ll have 6 weeks to mul it over

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 215
There is something about it that is just not right, but I cant put my finger on it. Maybe it needs to be wider, or get wider up top...just not sure, but I like where its going.

I can't stop wondering if the using the tank ridge for the fairing is overkill. I love it on the seat cowl, but maybe a flat - or slightly convex - fairing up front would look good.

Great work. I like the tank ridge but for me the fairing is too rectangular, or maybe I just like things to be curvaceous. Good luck I am sure you will get there in the end, just like the seat, which is fab.

The Jimbonaut said:
I can't stop wondering if the using the tank ridge for the fairing is overkill. I love it on the seat cowl, but maybe a flat - or slightly convex - fairing up front would look good.

I’m starting to think you’re right about the ridge

I had the old headlight from the original Frankenhonda, so I just thought I would try it out.

Although the diameter is probably a little too small the headlight seems to look a lot better than any fairing I’ve come up with this far

I’ve attached a photo of a cardboard template I was trying to make up, but nothing I do seems to sit right with me.

I hate to give up on something, as usually I’m quiet persistent when I have my mind set on something, but everything I seem to make or even when I search on line I just can’t find fairing that suits it in my eyes.

But when I see her with a headlight it seems better

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 204
I like the look with the old headlight, maybe a mini fairing on top to deflect the air up? It would hide the instruments too. I love the gold rims 8) Not so sure about those throttle cables

Back
Top Bottom