New horn ain't working

adventurco

Nick Ol' Eye
DTT BOTM WINNER
Got a 12v horn in to complete the 6v->12v conversion, but having issues.

Horn switch works perfectly as described in manual (continuity from LG to ground only when button is pressed). Horn beeps when hooked directly to the battery. Horn doesn't work at all when hooked into the harness. I tried switching the leads on the horn but no luck. Any ideas?

check the ground is good, usually why it won't work, also try your meter on 12V and clip it to the wires and hit the horn button to see if enough juice is getting to them.

Black. Test light shows power at the black wire. So must be an issue with the switch getting a good ground?

My damn voltmeter is acting up. Not reading anything at the battery even though the lights are working bright as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Fixed the voltmeter. 13.0v at the black wire. No power to horn with switch engaged though.

I swapped the stock bars out for a set of powdercoated ones. Does the horn switch ground through the left hand control and need to contact bare metal on the handlebars?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

With the bike turned on, disconnect the light green wire from the left bar control and on the harness side, ground out the wire. The horn should work at that point.

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Sonreir said:
With the bike turned on, disconnect the light green wire from the left bar control and on the harness side, ground out the wire. The horn should work at that point.

Yep. So should I strip some powder coat off the bars?

Yeah... if they're coated, that might be a problem. Button usually completes the circuit to the control, which grounds through the bars.

Back
Top Bottom