Battery size

yozzer74

Been Around the Block
Hi does anyone no what's the smallest battery I can use on my gs550 scrambler build I need the battery to be as small as possible size wise . Thanks

Seen this one would it be ok ??

Attachments

• IMG_1318.PNG
    IMG_1318.PNG
    358.1 KB · Views: 205
I went through something similar with my little CD175 twin - got a smaller battery but was concerned the relatively primitive charging system needed a fairly large battery to absorb voltage output spikes, so, went back to a lithium battery with the same ampere-hours. Didn't save any room to speak of and it was a really tight squeeze to fit it in, but at least no acid leaks.
Anyway, might be best to check that the Suzuki doesn't have a similar issue with its charging system and I gather you've deleted the electric starter - that little battery isn't going to turn it?
Pat

GS charging systems have a pretty bad rep, but if you switch out the OEM shunt style RR and replace it with a series RR (Google SH775, Polaris, etc) you pretty much eliminate the problems.

LI-ION battery cells aren't very expensive. The engineering and electronics necessary to get them working properly for motorsport use, is.

Don't go cheap on LI-ION, especially on a vintage bike.

Have you considered a battery eliminator? http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73623.0

Hillsy do you know we're i could get one of those r/r from as I'm in uk can't find any over here. Thanks

1fasgsxr said:
The guy 2 post above you makes them here in the US. Sonreir

Unfortunately, all mine are shunt type. I still recommend them for the GS, but if you're specifically looking for a series regulator then you want MOSFET (preferable the Shindengen brand). Expect about $120 price tag for those.

The SH775 is a series type. This type works by limiting the power out of the alternator by varying the resistance. Basically, this prevents your alternator from putting out full power unless it is needed.

The FH020AA is the shunt type were were talking about. With this setup, your alternator is always putting out full power, but the regulator bleeds whatever isn't needed back to ground.

Series type is generally considered to be superior, but is usually more expensive, too.

Back
Top Bottom