Tank liner sealer

Yogi

Hey all, just bought a 1972 cb500. PO did a cappy job lining the tank with Kreem. I am currently in the process of removing it with acetone. Assuming this works, do I need to reline/seal the tank with something (e.g., POR) to prevent future rust, or can I just keep it topped off with gas?

If the acetone doesn't work I would try MEK. You can clean rust out with muriatic acid followed by phosphoric acid to remove all the rust. As long as the tank doesn't leak I wouldn't seal it, but if it does I would recommend using the Caswell tank sealer. I have used it on several bikes. it works great.

I've had luck with red kote sealer from Oreillys also. Works great after acetone pre rinse. If it doesn't leak i would second not using sealer. I had poor results with Kreem also

A length of small chain in the tank swished around with the acetone will help.

Red Kote is thinned with acetone, and is a two-step process so it might be easier if you're already using acetone. I haven't used Caswell yet, but I like RedKote and POR 15.

The Caswell kit is a phenol novolac epoxy 2 part system, IMHO its better than any of the 1 part systems. this type of epoxy is what Airtech lines their fiberglass tanks with. That being said, it doesn't mean the others wont work, I have never heard of anyone having issues with the caswell kit and have heard shitloads of stories of kreem and red kote failing.

Thanks for the advice. Acetone worked (after long soak and swishing around with chains in the tank). Then a round of Metal Recue. First time I ever used that, and it worked well too. So far no leaks!

Agreed above, if no leaks don't seal it. It's just a future failure point.

Yogi said:
Thanks for the advice. Acetone worked (after long soak and swishing around with chains in the tank). Then a round of Metal Recue. First time I ever used that, and it worked well too. So far no leaks!

Yogi,
How's the tank working out? Are you seeing any rust after 30+ days?

Back
Top Bottom