3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build

My chain drive kit came yesterday and over lunch today I started working on it and got the drive sprocket installed... holy shit man that 1-7/8" nut on the original drive pulley was REALLY on there no way in hell could I break it even with a 3' breaker bar. Had to run out to a nearby pawn shop and buy a pneumatic 1/2" impact wrench.... and that barely got it removed.... geez. I will say one thing... Harley's build quality is absolutely stellar... I've wrenched around on about every major brand and Harley isn't fucking around.

Got My headlight bucket put back together. We've got a new LED headlamp and a rock protector grill installed. Original bucket in a two tone powder coat.

Wow, great work on the powdercoating. I've had an Eastwood powdercoater for 20 years but never really used any trick colours and combinations like you have - very inspiring, thanks.

1fasgsxr said:
is that a "hammertone" color?

It is not a hammertone... it's a 10-15% gloss metallic.

Oh and I got the call that my wheels are ready to pickup after work... got them home and slapped the discs and sprocket on em.

Started fitting the new wheels up... Gotta wait for the new shocks to arrive before I can cut the chain to length but it lines up perfectly.

Nice, very nice. Nothing looks better on a Harley than spoked wheels with alloy rims, in my humble opinion, but surprisingly hardly anyone does it.

I got my new Burly Brand Stiletto shocks installed today. I'll get the chain cut to length tomorrow morning. Pic is with the weight on the shocks... no worries about travel... there'll be no bottoming out now in the turns... (Like we have turns in Illinois... )

Pete12 said:
Nice, very nice. Nothing looks better on a Harley than spoked wheels with alloy rims, in my humble opinion, but surprisingly hardly anyone does it.

Well.. I'll tell you what... it was NOT cheap to do.

The build is probably gonna slow down a good bit soon as it's getting cold here and I'll not be able to even think about painting until spring. I did quite a bit really quickly. Punch list is looking like this.

* Cut chain to length
* Setup handlebars and wire in front turn signals (you can see the little LED rings on the forks in the headlight picture. I'll have to add load resistors into the harness.
* Make up front brake line
* Powder coat levers
* Clean and rebuild Carb
* Powder coat engine covers and Rocker covers
* Buy Ironhead Front fender and modify it.
* Fabricate rear fender modifications. (Decisions to make here... cut struts add a hoop, don't cut struts stay mild, )
* Select and order exhaust (gonna be hard for me to not pick the RSD Scrambler exhaust.)
* Paint

3DogNate said:
(gonna be hard for me to not pick the RSD Scrambler exhaust.)

Unless you plan to go with high pipes, pick the RSD Scrambler exhaust. It's too nice not to.

irk miller said:
Unless you plan to go with high pipes, pick the RSD Scrambler exhaust. It's too nice not to.

The more I look and contemplate welding up my own design... the more it's enevitable that I go with the Roland Sands option. It evidently sounds great and is a good performer as well.

I got the chain cut to length today. I had to cut off the upper passenger peg mount and belt guard mount off the swing arm. The longer suspension puts the chain right in their path. So there's no way there'll be a passenger, but this wasn't ever gonna be a 2UP bike anyway... kinda justifies what my tentative plans are for the rear. I have a bit of wiring clean up to do up front and need to add load resistors to the turn signals, they flash way too fast.

I was able to get the footpegs and mounts done today. I ended up turning a new bushing for the brake pedal on the lathe (I melted the original when i was powdercoating... I forgot to remove it. :)) I also relocated my coil to where the horn was mounted... I'll post a pic of that when I get the plug wires shortened. Oh also my original tank and fenders sold so I was able to get my front and rear fenders ordered along with a carb kit... Hopefully my exhaust and wheels sell soon too... I could just about pay for the exhaust or at least knock out the seat also. :) I'm having fun.

I got my handlebars from the powdercoater today. I think that's gonna work great.

Also my rear fender came so I tossed the tank and seat on along with the new fender to see how stuff looks... def not using that stock seat and I think that fender is gonna get shortened for sure...

Re: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"

The bike is looking good, and I love the dual sportster name. But those pegs look off, it may just be the angle of the pic, but it looks like you would have to angle your toes inward to hit the rear brake or shifter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom