CB450 Tracker

Ive enjoyed watching this build. I spent a lot of time behind a 2 axis proto trak. You sure are putting yours to good use (way more exciting than making food production equipment lol)

NoRiders said:
This is coming on well.....engine will look super clean. Machine work is ace.

I'm contemplating my engine cases and what to do with them...thinking black case with vapour blasted covers could look sweet.
Thank you, getting close now. I was going to go with vapour blasted covers but decided to go with satin black powder instead.
Hurco550 said:
Ive enjoyed watching this build. I spent a lot of time behind a 2 axis proto trak. You sure are putting yours to good use (way more exciting than making food production equipment lol)
Thanks, having a lot of fun with the mill, and haven't even looked into food production equipment yet haha. I'm pretty keen to get that third axis working though, now that'll be fun.

I got the cylinder head painted yesterday, and then rubbed back the fin edges to match the cylinder. The head has lapped valves, new valve guide oil seals, and all put together with assembly lube, so it should be good to go. I need to get some new cylinder head washers before I bolt it together, but as I have to go to Indonesia for work on Sunday I fitted the old engine covers to the cases and then filled up the crankcases with oil until such time as I get home and start working on it again. The bottom end was all assembled dry, so the oil will have a chance to get in and keep everything lubricated until I'm ready to get back into it.
I also put a shot of colour on the tank, so I need to rub that back flat and then spray the design on. I'm thinking a gold strip down the centre of the tank and tailpiece broken up with a white pin line, but it's all subject to change, depending on how I feel that day haha.

Attachments

• DSC00215a.jpg
    DSC00215a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC00216a.jpg
    DSC00216a.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00217a.jpg
    DSC00217a.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 257
advCo said:
That head looks trick.

Thanks advCo, I'm pretty happy with it and my brother came over this afternoon and he was very happy, so all good there. I wish I was a better photographer though, my photos always look terrible - I think it looks better in the flesh.

I know a little about photography (I know a little about almost everything, guess that's what happens when you get old ;) ) I did actually win a national competition once though
Taking good pictures of something black, on a white surface with polished shiny bits is about the most difficult thing you can do, even professionals have problems with it. I think you did pretty good

crazypj said:
I know a little about photography (I know a little about almost everything, guess that's what happens when you get old ;) ) I did actually win a national competition once though
Taking good pictures of something black, on a white surface with polished shiny bits is about the most difficult thing you can do, even professionals have problems with it. I think you did pretty good
Haha, thanks for that, I feel better, but it still doesn't help with my other photo shots...

I hung the cylinder head in the frame to see how everything would line up and it appears that I'll need some offset adaptors for the throttle cables to tuck them inside the tank, no big deal. I also made up the brackets to mounts the back of the battery box to the inner rear guard, a plate for the starter solenoid and a blanking plug for the tacho cable.

Attachments

• DSC00219a.jpg
    DSC00219a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC00220a.jpg
    DSC00220a.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00221a.jpg
    DSC00221a.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 245
Are you carb tops one piece or two piece? (not that it really matters) I made new 'top flanges' for an old set I have, should have angle drilled for cable adjuster threads but didn't think about it at the time. There are probably pics on here somewhere but I don't remember where as they could be in someone else's build thread? I'll see if I can find the original pics

The carb tops are one piece pj, but I bought some 45 degree cable adaptors from Mikunioz that were only AUD8.80 each. I did consider making some but these ones have the nylon sleeve inside so all good there.

Had to go back a way, Looks like I modified carbs in 2008 or 2009. I couldn't get a decent clearance under tank, the welded flange was just about in exact same position as cable exit, even angled entry adjusters wouldn't originally work. Couldn't find pictures so probably on XS650.com somewhere?

Attachments

• DSCN7567.JPG
    DSCN7567.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
  • DSCN7563.JPG
    DSCN7563.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 240
crazypj said:
Had to go back a way, Looks like I modified carbs in 2008 or 2009. I couldn't get a decent clearance under tank, the welded flange was just about in exact same position as cable exit, even angled entry adjusters wouldn't originally work. Couldn't find pictures so probably on XS650.com somewhere?
That's a nice way to do it pj, I received my angled adjusters and they fit perfectly, so all good there.
Finally got back from O/S and my brother came around and helped me install the cylinder head. That was easy enough but getting the cam timing done and reinstalling the camchain was a PITA. All done now though, and the engine is back in the frame. I need to finish polishing the cam covers and they can go on once the tappets clearances are adjusted.

Attachments

• DSC00225a.jpg
    DSC00225a.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 258
This plan is finally coming together..

I got back home from overseas and started doing some work on the bike. Made up a mirror stem to suit a $6.50 mirror from ebay. It's a lot smaller than it looked in the photo, but this happens to me all the time. Anyway, all good, mirror finished and legal.
https://i.imgur.com/uuyxuCm.jpg[/IMG]]

I made up a gear lever, cutting it out of some 6mm plate and then filing, filing and more filing. I only have it tacked together now so that I can adjust the position when the seat is in place. I know it can be moved on the splines, but sometimes they end up between the splines, so I'll just wait.
https://i.imgur.com/ThPoJLa.jpg[/IMG]]

I also assembled all the drive gear and alternator and fitted both covers. I have fitted the exhaust as well so that I can make up the rear mount for it and then get it painted. The footrest mounts that I made previously won't fit now because the exhaust is in the way, so I'll make up another set and put the old ones into the ever increasing pile of redundant parts that I have made for this project. I am pretty happy with the engine colour though, the satin black sidecovers go well with the flat black engine cases, and the polished bits stand out quite well.

Attachments

• DSC00231a.jpg
    DSC00231a.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC00235a.jpg
    DSC00235a.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 237
The tacho was getting a little crowded from the cables so I made up another bracket to move it forward 12mm. I fitted it up and there is a lot more room there now, so I guess the next thing to do will be connect up all the cables. They will all require shortening so I will get the scope iron out and get started on it. I also need to make up new rear footrest brackets and incorporate the muffler mount in the rhs one, then I can make the mounting bracket and weld it on to the pipe, then get it painted.

Attachments

• DSC00239a.jpg
    DSC00239a.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00241a.jpg
    DSC00241a.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 222
I made up the choke cables, which worked out OK, but then my scope stopped working. The problem is the little carbon block inside, so I've ordered a new one - the throttle cables will have to wait until I get it.
https://i.imgur.com/KxJAxn0.jpg[/IMG]]
I welded the starter solenoid bracket on the top of the inner rear guard, which tucks it out of the way but is still easy to work on.
https://i.imgur.com/uRQCGGb.jpg[/IMG]]

Today I made up the new rear footrest brackets. The right hand side one has a bracket for the exhaust so that is tomorrow's job. I have used old school footrests, which match the front ones and don't look too bad.

Attachments

• DSC00247a.jpg
    DSC00247a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC00249a.jpg
    DSC00249a.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 229
Back
Top Bottom