www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: cl360 Pamco installation / kill switch question  (Read 1017 times)

Offline hillset

cl360 Pamco installation / kill switch question
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 20:32:19 »
Hi Everyone,
     I have a 74 cl360 and I just finished installing a Pamco electronic ignition.  The installation went fine and I have a spark in both plugs, but I noticed after I installed the unit that my handlebar kill switch no longer works.  When I put the handlebar kill switch in either of the "OFF" positions, I can still press the start button and get a spark. 

Initially, I thought I made a mistake in wiring the Pamco unit to the black/white stock wire that runs from the kill switch to the coils, but when I tested the black/white wire with my voltmeter and the coils unplugged, I can see the voltage output drop to 0 with the kill switch set in the "OFF" position (see the attached image).

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I have the red wire from the Pamco unit attached to the black/white stock wire from the left coil at the connection to the other coil (see image).  I also haven't actually turned the engine over and tested timing with the new Pamco unit installed, I've just checked for spark in both plugs.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  I've been staring at wiring diagrams all afternoon and I'm not really sure where to go with this.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can check or if I've incorrectly wired the Pamco unit to the kill switch, and thank you for your help.

Offline millermatic187

cl360 Pamco installation / kill switch question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:47:33 »
I’m pretty sure the red wire has to go to a 12v switched source, like the ignition switch. The kill switch is only a ground (completes circuit) not sure where the other 12v is coming from, but don’t get the wiring confused. Honda used green and black as ground wire color. Looking at the Pamco diagram it looks like the green wires from the Pamco unit are being used as signal wires to the coils ( blue and yellow) just my 2cents I may be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2017, 12:51:01 by millermatic187 »

Offline hillset

Re: cl360 Pamco installation / kill switch question
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2017, 12:58:17 »
Hey Miller- Thanks for the reply.  I wired the red wire to the black/white wire from the kill switch per this diagram from the Pamco website (cb360ignition.com).  Are you saying I should take the red wire from the Pamco unit and disconnect it from the black/white wire from the coils, then reattach it to the ignition switch (where I put my key)?  Sorry if I sound basic, I'm still new to wiring.  Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2017, 14:04:52 »
The diagram you just posted looks correct to me.

Pamco gets power on the red wire from the black/white wire leading from the kill switch. The black/white wire also provides power to the ignition coils.

If the kill switch is in the off position, there should be zero volts on the black/white wire and therefore no power to the Pamco or the ignition coils.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline hillset

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2017, 14:34:40 »
Hey Sonrier- Thank you so much for the reply.  What you said is what I was thinking as well, red wire from the Pamco gets power from the black/white wire from the kill switch to the coils.  if the kill switch is in the off position, black/white wire should have no power, and pamco should have no power.  This is what I confirmed with the test I posted in the first picture (kill switch in OFF position, black/white wire reads 0v, kill switch in RIDE position, black/white wire reads 13.5V).

I'm still confused as to why I'm able to start the bike with the kill switch in the OFF position.  If the black/white wire has 0v with killswitch in OFF, how does pressing the start button still allow the bike to start? 

For example, I put the red prong of my multimeter on the black/white wire, grounded the black, and switched the kill switch to OFF.  The multimeter showed 0V.  When I put the kill switch to RIDE, the multimeter showed 13V, which tells me the kill switch unit and the wiring leading from the battery --> killswitch --> black/white wire is working properly.  However, with the kill switch still set to OFF and the multimeter still showing 0V, I pushed the start button and heard the engine try to start.  How is that possible?  Is there something else I should be checking?

Thank you so much again for your help Sonreir, I really appreciate it.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2017, 14:37:36 »
The starter circuit on the 360s is not tied to the ignition circuit. If you press the starter button with the kill switch in the off position, the engine will turn. There shouldn't be any spark though.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline hillset

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2017, 15:06:04 »
  :o I'm an idiot...thank you so much for your help Sonrier, I really appreciate it.  Just checked it and you are correct, with killswitch in OFF there is no spark.  Now I need to work on getting it to idle with the new pamco, currently its just sparking but not starting up.

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 15:12:27 »
If it starts backfiring but still won't idle, you might have the trigger wires swapped from left to right.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

Offline hillset

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2017, 15:38:20 »
The trigger wires are the blue and yellow wires from the pamco unit to the coils?

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2017, 15:41:10 »
Yup.

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics