www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: cl360 Pamco installation / kill switch question  (Read 838 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Re: cl360 Pamco installation / kill switch question
« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2017, 21:33:05 »
You're fine on compression, I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.  You're only taking the valve cover off to replace the cam.  No need for total disassembly.  You can get the pistons down enough to inspect the cylinders for condition.  Won't hurt to check specs, but I wouldn't even pull the head unless necessary with your compression numbers.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:34:56 »
The cam isn't 'all hard, it's actually pretty soft cast iron with only the lobes 'hardened' (they are still pretty soft really)
You tweaked the extension and cracked it, the break is too clean for it to have been cracked previously. If cam is good, just have an extension turned up in steel, drill and tap cam then screw it in place (probably more expensive than getting a good used cam tough?)
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline hillset

« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2017, 19:54:17 »
Hey crazypj- Thank you so much for the reply.  This makes sense, I would assume it would be cheaper to just buy a used cam.  I was looking at the ebay post irk sent for a used cam, but money has been pretty tight recently and I couldn't afford to buy it before it was sold, so I'm still looking.  I was planning on just watching ebay until a decently priced cam in good condition came up and I was able to afford it.

What's a good price for a used cam?  Is there a price I should definitely jump on if I see it (assuming the cam is in good shape), or a price I should definitely let go?

Do you have any other suggestions on places to look for used cams?  Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.