The perfect bike - Or, hey Levi look i made a new project thread too ;D

And yeah, kanticoy and Irk have helped me research a bit on the sides too. My wheel is 36 spoke, but newer crf's and such are often 32 spoke. So if I get the transalp hub, a modern wheel, and my current cush carrier, it should all work, as the transalp hub is a direct fit for my current swingarm. If I get an aluminum swingarm later at least the width of what I have, this'll all go together nicely.

So back in November I agreed to meet the shady trash bag man in the woods near Chattanooga. Two days later I emerged with a fever and a hurt ankle. But that's another story for another outlet. The aim thing was, a group of us had been riding mostly single track all weekend and laughing at each other's mishaps. I had the XL and Meatwad with me, and they both killed everything I threw them at. Y'all haven't met Meatwad, he's awesome tho. I'll have to do some back story on that little bike sometime. But, the XL's performance did confirm to me that I needed a lower gear for first. Too much clutch slippage going on for what I'm doing. It never failed, it just wasn't quite where I wanted. Otherwise it was awesome. So, I got back and said that I'd tear it down after that trip and get into the meat. But first, another quick ride out in a snow storm we got.

Attachments

• IMG_20171209_182716_853.jpg
    IMG_20171209_182716_853.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 346
There were plenty of idiots out, lots of abandoned suvs on perfectly flat roads, a huge 4wd truck that managed to hit the only tree in a long straight, and territorial atv snowplow ppl hellbent on running others off the road in the name of making the road safe. It was a fun ride and my phone died.

After that ride, it was time. Christmas was here, my awesome wife got me some awesome doodads to bolt on it and a torque wrench, I had no more excuses. So then this happened.

Attachments

• received_10159831224070174.jpeg
    received_10159831224070174.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 345
Mr.E said:
...So then this happened.

So then WHAT happened? You had an explosion in your shop? HCG (Mrs E) went nutz w/ that hammer? Santa's elves got into the e'nog and tried to "help" you? Ichiban Moto came and helped?

I decided to see what makes it tick. Literally. Remember that sound it made at mid O? It had been making it the whole time until now. But more on that later.

First, a bit on magnesium engine parts. If anyone read my Elsinore build, you may recall the issues with magnesium I ran into there. Basically, it "can" last forever so long as you don't expose the raw case to things like... air and water. Easy, right? Especially susceptible are areas where water can puddle, like the little corners on cases when it's on the side stand. Over years, alkaline in rain/swamp/water can eat away at the case just like rust. It just takes a scratch thru the coating. This bike wasn't bad. Just a few spots on the clutch cover to blast out deep and fill. Then a few good coats of ceramic engine paint to seal it back up. Someone back in the previous ownership did paint the covers, but looks to have just painted over the original paint. That's also bad. It creates pockets of sealed in trash that will continue to corrode. Look at the pic of the bare cover where the dark lines are. That's where the moisture has been trying to get under the paint. If left unchecked, it will rot like rust. Don't be that guy. Don't stop till its clean, and then seal the hell out of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20180114_143127.jpg
    IMG_20180114_143127.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20180114_215619.jpg
    IMG_20180114_215619.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20180127_103335.jpg
    IMG_20180127_103335.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 339
One of the things on my list was the transalp hub for a rear disc brake swap. From what I could tell, my sprocket carrier was a direct swap. So after a gamble on eBay, I got a nos transalp hub. It fit great with the carrier and axle. It even came with new bearings and seals. It is 32 spoke, so I've got to get a hoop and spokes, then I'll be in business.

Attachments

• IMG_20180127_111401.jpg
    IMG_20180127_111401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 335
Mr.E said:
One of the things on my list was the transalp hub for a rear disc brake swap. From what I could tell, my sprocket carrier was a direct swap. So after a gamble on eBay, I got a nos transalp hub. It fit great with the carrier and axle. It even came with new bearings and seals. It is 32 spoke, so I've got to get a hoop and spokes, then I'll be in business.
All dat bling on dat dirty swing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Well, a couple updates while I try to wake up. Last week I figured out the sound of the rattle. It's the left counter balancer bearing acting more like a ball joint than a bearing. Luckily I've got that spare bottom end. No pics, just a short video, and I didn't upload it. So you'll have to take my word for it, it was bad. Old bearing practically fell out. The new used bearing from the spare bottom, not so much. Suffice to say, after much work, the old greasy rag trick finally prevailed. If you don't know that one, look it up on YouTube. I've had limited success with it before, but usually think of it in terms of "as much work as this takes, something else like a welded bolt would be faster." But I was trying to save the bearing.

So, bearing out, dropped it in the other case, good to go. Wait. "Dropped" it in the other case, as in, I should have mic'ed the old case to know it was egg shaped and useless now. Oh well, swapping left case now. Installed the bearing back in the case I pulled it from, and checking the counter balancer for wear.

3067-060218073936.jpeg

The shaft checks within .0005". Guess that will do. Oh, wait, I've got a spare shaft too. It checks the same. But just because the first one has some scuffing on the bearing end, I'll use the spare also.

Next up, this nos Transalp hoop will sure look good with that hub from a few posts back.

3067-060218074145.jpeg

Need some spokes next. And then some more ingredients will trickle in.

Lastly, I needed a flywheel puller. But it was Sunday evening and the weather was bad. 22x1.5mm. What's a guy to do? Oil pan bolt from a dodge truck oughta work.

3067-060218073734.jpeg

It even fits a bare 3/8" drive ratchet end too. Turned out to be perfectly sized to lift the flywheel and not make a mess.

Gold don't get ya home.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
Gold don't get ya home.

Good thing it's gonna be in the woods then. Plus I heard Suzuki's never leave home either

Mr.E said:
Good thing it's gonna be in the woods then. Plus I heard Suzuki's never leave home either
Throwing down the gauntlet. Road/ off-road shootout in June.

I get it, old mutton chops is to scared to accept the challenge.... Its ok buddy.

Back
Top Bottom