www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Replacing mirrors with rear camera  (Read 554 times)

Offline Falcors750

Replacing mirrors with rear camera
« on: Jan 12, 2018, 15:45:15 »
As the headline states, I want to clean up the frontend and I'm looking for a rear view camera/monitor that is 1080p and sleek in design. The only one that peaked my interest was the sykik x21f. Any reviews from current or previous owners or any recommendations on better equipment

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
Re: Replacing mirrors with rear camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2018, 18:41:42 »
In regards to your question, what size screen are you willing to put up with and their placement?    Are you thinking two screens, one for right/left, etc?   The model you mentioned is interesting but it looks like it's designed for front/rear instead and you get to look at one image at a time.  Not sure about that though.

I know you aren't the first to ask this but I don't remember where else I saw thread on it.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2018, 18:43:20 by canyoncarver »
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2018, 19:53:15 »
Is that even legal per DOT?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline Ichiban Moto

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Bad Ass Cafe' Style
    • Ichiban Moto on Youtube !
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2018, 11:12:54 »
just put a button camera on the back of your helmet with a video feed to your heads up display

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2018, 13:09:31 »
How is a video display and two cameras more clean than a mirror?

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2018, 14:54:09 »
just put a button camera on the back of your helmet with a video feed to your heads up display
I smell a new video

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2018, 01:29:22 »
Is that even legal per DOT?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

Pretty sure it isn't legal anywhere yet (but maybe in a few years?)
 Could stick to the letter of the law and have smallest 'legal mirrors mounted toofar in to centerline then use monitor and rear view camera's. Main problem I found when I tried it was it only visible after dark, monitor couldn't be angled properly to see anything meaningful due to reflections from sun or bright sky. I thhink it would be possible to locate monitor inside a tube but then it would need to be fixed way ahead of headlight relatively high up probably way uglier than fitting decent mirrors. I gave up on idea as it was taking too long to get results. Still have couple of camera's  plus 5" & 7" monitors. (not selling anything, will either use in truck  or return to idea sometime, had a few 'new' idea's since I first tried 3~4 yrs ago)
 Connected to a HUD would be neat but I don't know enough about them except good ones were real expensive last time I looked? (military only  :o )
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 01:31:49 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2018, 12:11:34 »
I ran around Toronto for many years with no mirrors (also no signals, chainguard, front fender...) and never got hassled for it.

That being said I like my mirrors and have since sold the race-bike I happened to have a plate on :)

Neat idea for a single rear view camera and display, but having to look down at the gauge cluster to see what is behind you is counter-productive.  You might as well skip the camera altogether and run without mirrors.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."