KLR You Experienced? I am now...

Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.

datadavid said:
Tell me i at least made you go and look again its probably ground up to a fine powder or pressed into a gear cog by now anyway!

You definitely got me thinking about it! I've already replaced all the gaskets etc and just couldn't bring myself to tear into them again so I'm just going to pretend you didn't say anything and convince myself that it was, indeed, a trick of the light.

It's only half-working.

Damn you.

Maritime said:
Signing up. I'll let you know when I get your gasket kit out of Maine for you!

Legend. Cheers Mike 8)

I was going to try dremel-ing out the stock head gasket I have to enlarge it to the new bore size, but figured that plan was ripe with disaster. We're talking 1mm off the entire circumference and for the dough I've shelled out on the piston and cylinder bore then a couple of bucks on the proper fitting gasket just made sense. I'll try and bodge another job on the list, but this one felt like getting it done right.

Consider this -

A society's intelligence and level of advancement can be measured by how much of its star's energy it stores and uses. To whit, the Kardashev Scale was developed to determine this measurement as follows -

Type One - A civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy that falls on its planet from its solar system's star
Type Two - A civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy that radiates from its solar system's star
Type Three - A civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy created by its fucking galaxy

Earth, and us rabble on it, store and use about 1% of the sunlight that lands on our planet. So we're a long, long way off becoming a Type One civilization. And that kind of explains a lot. Interstellar space travel is still a pipe dream for us, and we still can't figure out how to fix pot holes once and for all. Space faring civilizations would need some serious rpm's to break free of the fossil-fuel confines that us humans find ourselves shackled by, and getting a load more wattage out of the parent star would go some way towards explaining how they tame the mysteries of serious interstellar road trips.

So anyway, a bunch of astronomers were doing their thing, looking up into the sky with their telescopes when they found something pretty fucked up. Apparently the way they look for solar systems with potentially habitable planets is by studying the light emitted from the system's parent star and looking for dips in the light emitted from the star - caused by a planet orbiting in front of it. These solar systems are literally thousands and thousands of light years away - they can't "see" the stars or planets but they can figure out a lot of shit about them by looking at the telemetry from these observations. Dip in light, good indicator of a planet orbiting the star.

These dips in light can be studied remarkably accurately, so I'm told. Importantly, they can also be used to ascertain the shape of the object moving in front of the star as well. A regular, spherical-shaped object (like a planet for example) leaves a very smooth signature in the telemetry.

So, back to the astronomers. They were looking at this one particular star, called KIC 8462852, and discovered that whilst the light emitted from the star was indeed dipping (indicating something moving in front of it), these dips were highly irregular in both shape and spacing. Planets were ruled out, as were comets and dust clouds - something weird was moving in front of the star, but they were hesitant to say what.

And then someone had a proposition - the astronomers had found the first recorded evidence of a Type Two civilization (a civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy that radiates from its solar system's star), in the form of a Dyson Sphere. A Dyson Sphere is a shell or matrix constructed to enclose a star and farm all of the light emitted from it. The constructs are unfathomably huge, and constructed - hypothetically - by self-replicating robots using materials mined from nearby planets. To give an idea of scale, the smallest of the "panels" used in the sphere's construction would have an edge length one hundred times the distance between the earth and the moon, or 38 million kilometres. Not insignificant.

Therefore, if the Dyson Sphere was still under construction there would be many irregular gaps as it rotated around the star, and the telemetry we receive here on Planet Earth would translate this as irregular dips in the light emitted from the star.

It's enough to get you thinking on a Monday morning.

Anyway, I'm going to start a Dyson Sphere build thread after this. Fuck it.

Mucking about on photoshop last night trying to come up with a colour scheme -

XGIoSlw.jpg

Thinking a satin black frame with a satin silver swingarm (black in the photo above). Need to find some OEM green side covers but they're totally unobtanium so may have to go the vinyl wrap route on them instead. Brushed steel tank with a 2K clear, and some brushed stainless steel panels and trim that I'll - ahem - "fabricate". I have to use that word reservedly - most of you guys are fabricating triple trees and entire bike frames. I'm the Great Pretender.

A big job on this rebuild is going to be restoring the plastics. They're mostly very faded, but in the areas where the elements haven't got to them (under the headlight fairing for example) the colour looks so good that I really want to get my green on. Watched a few vids and seems the best (if most time consuming) method is with various grades of sandpaper and soapy water.

It'll need new fork boots and a few other odds and sodds, but Version One is in the bag.

advCo said:
Needs more PURPLE! ;)

Sounds like something my ex-girlfriend would say! She'd paint the world purple given a paintbrush and half a chance.

Nice pics on the doohicky mod. I don't have a KLR but I've heard of the fix. I want one. You were right about the C model. It looks more sleek than most. Pretty cool.

Dropped off the frame etc and totally changed my mind at the last minute. Satin silver, not satin black. We’ll see how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

canyoncarver said:
Nice pics on the doohicky mod. I don't have a KLR but I've heard of the fix. I want one. You were right about the C model. It looks more sleek than most. Pretty cool.

Make it happen mate, these bikes are brilliant.

I'll watch too, this'll be fun

Mr.E said:
I'll watch too, this'll be fun
There are the big three jap 650 thumpers (klr, Dr, and xl) going on here right now. Well yours is a 600, but it's ok, it's really trying :)

Oh and Eric's German Canadian thing-a-ma-bob. ;)

I like it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
There are the big three jap 650 thumpers (klr, Dr, and xl) going on here right now. Well yours is a 600, but it's ok, it's really trying :)

Oh and Eric's German Canadian thing-a-ma-bob. ;)

I like it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Does that mean I have a little jap thumper?

Bought a new Rigid toolbox yesterday (fairly confident I could drop that thing off a mountain and it'd scoff up at me from the bottom asking if that's all I got) along with a decent drill - I need to drill through the frame and subframe to strengthen the thing up as the stock bolts are known to fail.

One thing I'm not especially looking forward to is cleaning out all the gunk from inside the tank. There's rust in there but that's not the worst of it - there's this kind of solidified pale sludge (not varnish) that's got me thinking it's time to wheel out the big guns - namely the methyl ethyl ketone, or MEK. That shit's unruly - I used it on the CB tank to get the varnish out and whoa nelly did it get the varnish out. It also melted an eyeball and I now dribble at the dinner table. Full respiration mask is de rigueur with this stuff - it does not mess around. So, that's today's job. First need to make some rubber bungs to block up the petcock holes.

Theme song for the day - Jambi by Tool. Have at it.

^^^ Edited to mention - it's not really a decent drill at all, it was the cheapest Home Depot had. But it has adjustable speed which my other drill doesn't (which was even cheaper. That thing's so damn fast if it snags I do an impressive if rather dramatic impression of a cartoon whirlwind)

If everyone else is joining in, I might as well too. Also, Tim has it set up for DTT to host images. No need for Imgur, Photobucket or anyone else. See: Gallery. And if you use your phone to post, then you can put the images right into the body of the post. No need to separately upload and link.

irk miller said:
If everyone else is joining in, I might as well too. Also, Tim has it set up for DTT to host images. No need for Imgur, Photobucket or anyone else. See: Gallery. And if you use your phone to post, then you can put the images right into the body of the post. No need to separately upload and link.

I second this one. Using an external image site for posting is gonna bite your ass sooner or later.

Welcome aboard gents - would love to reassure you that you won’t regret it but quite frankly all bets are off.

Spent a good portion of the afternoon congratulating myself on how brilliant I was for carving a rubber bung out of some flooring mat. Then poured the methyl ethyl ketone into the tank and immediately found out the hard way that my rubber bung was for shit.

It was a bad scene.

Garage looked like a messed up version of Breaking Bad - me in a respirator mask mopping up a chemical that literally melts eyeballs.

Thanks for the photo tip - I’ll check out Gallery as soon as my eyes have stopped bleeding.

So, MEK.

It’s the Louis Cypher of chemicals. Substitute Robert De Niro in Angelheart for 4 litres of methyl ethyl ketone, slowly un-peeling a hard boiled egg while referring to it as a human soul and you get the idea what this stuff is capable of.

I ended up pouring it all over my shoes, chair and garage floor while trying to decant it out of my tank and into a water bottle. Thank fuck for snow - shovelled a load into the garage to mop up the spill and have my shoes buried in a snow bank.

Would I recommend this stuff?

Absolutely. It’s hhahgdnnejnnd x xnnsnznnxnfjejijeurjbfbdbsnsjaksbgggggggggggggggghhjjjjjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back
Top Bottom