CB650 - Alternator oil valve?? What the heck is this?

braaap!

Hello!

I had some leakage from the alternator and after cleaning everything, I saw some leakage coming from this part (see pic) - I pulled on it and oil started pouring out....

What is this for?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 15.24.41.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 15.24.41.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 211
Thanks! That’s what I thought. I already changed almost all the gasket on the engine. I do have that o-ring in the kit.

When replacing it, should I put the engine in gear or in any case engine oil will pour out?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

after further research, I don't believe it to be the neutral indicator switch. See where it is -no wiring attached to it.

when I google neutral indicator switch for CB650, nothing comes up that looks like this :-/

bizarre nothing is mentioned about it anywhere, not even in the maintenance manual...

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 173
braaap! said:
after further research, I don't believe it to be the neutral indicator switch. See where it is -no wiring attached to it.

when I google neutral indicator switch for CB650, nothing comes up that looks like this :-/

bizarre nothing is mentioned about it anywhere, not even in the maintenance manual...

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb650-1980-a-usa_model7223/partslist/E++13.html#results

The above link shows it as simply "Plug A,oil Path"

so you're right, it's an oil plug. I would just replace the oring if it's leaking

probably had to drill that hole in the case for oil at some point inside there, and that's just a tool access hole... so they plug it

A neutral indicator switch would be located near the transmission :) It typically operates with a little spring loaded plunger that moves up and down with detents on a shaft in the transmission when it is positioned in Neutral. Makes ground, the N lights up.

Anyhow - you're looking at an oil plug as you've discovered. Perhaps in one iteration of the engine it ran a wet alternator. Some Honda motors do I believe.

It appears to have a washer between it and the interior engine cavity. Perhaps copper? I expect the alternator cover prevents the plug from backing out.

The XS650 has something similar but is a permanently installed steel freeze-plug type thing if I recall.

correct, Thats an artifact from drilling the main crank oil gallery and then it was used to plug the end of the hole where the tool entered. Simular to a DOHC head cam end plugs.

Awesome!

Thanks guys!

It's not a washer but a rubber O-Ring that goes around the plug. Ordered it - it should resolve my leakage.

And yes, the alternator cover prevents from pulling back.

:)

Back
Top Bottom