Single rail trailer for behind the family car.

irk miller said:
I'm thinking on tongue weight, it should be no less than 14psi and no more than 25psi.

ill stick my mangled finger in there and slowly up the tongue weight, when blood squirts out again, ill call it good.

Hurco550 said:
So since there has been a bit of conflicting advice here on tongue weight and what's the proper amount (and I appreciate all the advice none the less)
Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the overall weight no matter what you’re hauling. The easiest way to achieve this is to reposition the load over the axle (eg- moving the chock), rather than repositioning the axle under the load. (but then most trailers don’t have the option of moving the axle/s)
Once you determine what axle position nets that 10-15% tongue weight for each bike you’re hauling, you’ll be able to position it quickly with each transition.

Well you do haul shit for a living. He's using the same idea as a 53 ' trailer, you pull a pin and slide the bogie(axles) forward or back to adjust tbe weight over the tractor axles(hitch). Moving the chock might have been easier unless the bike is long enough you cant keep the wheel on the front or back.

Re: Single rail trailer for behind the family car.

I made up the axle frame mounting plates, squared and centered it up and welded it in. When I flipped the main frame over, it had a little more flex than I had liked, so there will be some tubing bent up and welded in to help counteract the flexing.
c82d10aaf93cd2eacbcc6602feda8165.jpg
1ca491558dd0850f885115bb3c119c15.jpg
2fd6cb7b107202e546a9041158d8d200.jpg

I started bending up a little more 1" square tubing to make some rail supports to help keep the flex down, and also mounted up a wheel and stub axle so that I can start working on fender mounts. We are getting closer.
c71944aa94cb354870769da739419622.jpg
d22003fe21feca2b673a6a08847e4627.jpg
197af3636d6924cd2402c0ed361f4c44.jpg

I'd like to recommend a short horizontal piece of angle and a vertical one also for the front tire to fit in to. They don't have to be very long to accommodate any size wheel and are much more secure than a channel which is very width dependent. Strapping the front wheel down diagonally between the two makes an ultra secure backup that will hold a bike very positively even if all four other standard tie downs fail. Will you be adding a horizontal cross beam for front tie downs?

jpmobius said:
I'd like to recommend a short horizontal piece of angle and a vertical one also for the front tire to fit in to. They don't have to be very long to accommodate any size wheel and are much more secure than a channel which is very width dependent. Strapping the front wheel down diagonally between the two makes an ultra secure backup that will hold a bike very positively even if all four other standard tie downs fail. Will you be adding a horizontal cross beam for front tie downs?

Yep, that's actually exactly what I'm planning, I just haven't finished fabbing the "wheel chock" part yet. I drew up the "big dimensions" on autocad for the basic layout, but I am largely winging this as I go to be honest. (I'm a hack man, its in my blood haha)The material I have on hand has really dictated how this thing goes together. I will also be putting in a bar of sorts across the bottom of the "rail" to use for tie downs, as well as some points out back to keep the rear wheel planted.

irk miller said:
Where will the ramp go when in transit?
I'm going to build a hinged aluminum ramp that will stay attached to the trailer. I made the trailer frame long enough that at a 90 degree angle it will still clear the bikes. At least the ones that I own. If I ever end up with a chopper I will be s o l

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I got a little more fab work done on the "wheel chock" area. I had originally planned on making one with a hinged rear section that will flip up to capture the back of the front tire, but I decided to just use a forward slanted v shaped piece welded to the rails. It is plasma cut out of 11 gauge (about 1/8" thick") sheet. the pieces on the top tube are just 1/4" flat bar and are not welded out yet. I'm hoping with the slant of the bottom of the chock will capture the tire into the front v well enough to hold the bike up until I can get straps on it. More to come.
533ba5500af57d0579f2d852c05ac982.jpg
fc47bdaa3603e359a7ada784d9a353f8.jpg
309ca4cb2d50e094480712187bc1d29a.jpg

Half-assed welds aside, that's a pretty cool design. Man, who the hell teaches those kids to weld like that?

irk miller said:
Half-assed welds aside, that's a pretty cool design. Man, who the hell teaches those kids to weld like that?
We don't half a$$ anything, we whole a$$ it. Lol

Should work All I did on mine was add a short section of ~2" angle iron, open-side down in the rail as a hump to hold it in the chock. On flat ground, it holds the GL1000 long enough for me to get the straps on. Also, it isn't so strong that I can't back the front heel over it when unloading. I've now loaded and unloaded several times by myself with no "incidents".

I decided that I didn't trust my math enough, so I decided to bring a set of tires in, one is for a 21" dirt bike rim and the other is the stock tw200 front tire. Both fit like a charm and it should also work for pretty much any size in between. If anything the front "v" is a bit on the wide side for skinny dirbike tires, but I had to make it wide enough to accommodate the tw200 knobby. I can always make an adapter than slides over that v and makes is narrower if I have too.
7e8350d8c1dbed16aa9b167136eb9819.jpg
6170f133e17471acf458c8cc1d8b7d3b.jpg

You should create a similar "V" to capture the bottom of the tire. It is a good idea for the back as well, but optional in my opinion. On trailers with channels, I have seen the tire "walk" over to one side until constrained by the flange on really long trips. I realize your rig has a fairly confined space already and the wheel could only move so far, but being such a simple job it is cheap insurance. Plus, it has to be easier on the tire being clamped into the v with twice the bearing area, though I've never heard of that being an issue. Going to be a nice project!

jpmobius said:
You should create a similar "V" to capture the bottom of the tire. It is a good idea for the back as well, but optional in my opinion. On trailers with channels, I have seen the tire "walk" over to one side until constrained by the flange on really long trips. I realize your rig has a fairly confined space already and the wheel could only move so far, but being such a simple job it is cheap insurance. Plus, it has to be easier on the tire being clamped into the v with twice the bearing area, though I've never heard of that being an issue. Going to be a nice project!

I agree, if you look at post 50 at the top of the page, you'll see that the bottom is bent in a v shape. Its not quite at an acute of an angle, but it is a v none the less, and also angled forward which should help as the wheel will be trying to "roll" into the front v on the upright.

The rear will not have a v shape, since the bikes I will be towing will have several different widths of tires ranging from8" wide on the tw to 4" wide on most other stuff. I will have tie downs for the rear of the bike as well to keep it planted, and will likely have a piece of alloy diamond plate where the rear wheel sits to try to help keep it from moving around as well

I haven't forgotten about or given up on this project, just got a little bit delayed. It's a good thing I didn't finish it since now that I decided on a big front tire on the tw200 I would have had clearance issues. I had to remove the two rails that I had stiffening the frame up. I'm not sure what I will do for bracing to replace them yet, but at least the wheel fits now. I also made a new front chock for The Wider Tire, and will likely have to make a removable one that has a narrower v for when I haul a regular motorcycle on the trailer.
8cf00d58868a3395d3d9b304ae111d76.jpg
256085347fd0f0a3d954dcedafbd83ef.jpg
7ffc06248e4c6201583ff8bc630f73d2.jpg

Hurc that is cool as hell man.. I have been wanting to fabricate up something similar for some time. How much did all the steel set you back ?

Make sure you reach out to me when you bring thd bike and trailer down I-75. I'd love to run out to the Rocky Top (Lake City) or Norris exit to meet you and see the beasts! I live ~10 miles ftom either.

Back
Top Bottom