Kawasaki G3SSE Engine Died

dgreen

I have a 1975 Kawasaki G3SSE that I was able to get running last summer, but I have not ridden it much. The oil pump is disabled and the previous owner said he would mix with a 40:1 ratio. Yesterday I took the bike out and needed to add more fuel so after spending some time reading online I decided to do a 32:1 mixture because I was going to be riding it a lot more than usual.

I was able to ride the bike just fine for about 10 minutes and then it suddenly died on me. I pulled the plug and and it was pretty black so I scrubbed it with a wire brush and the bike kicked over and ran for about 30 seconds, but as soon as I gave it gas it died again. I couldn't get it to restart after that. I tried cleaning the plug and made sure I was getting a spark, I pulled off the carb and used a some wire from my brush to try to clean out the jets, and checked the air filter to make sure it was clean.

Any idea what could be going on? My first thought is that I had too much oil in the mixture and the jets are gummed up and I didn't get them clean enough. Any other ideas?

Do the following:

-Check if you have good spark
Remove the spark plug boot and hold the spark cable 2MM from a clean and not painted metal surface on the bike, e.g. cylinder block.
Kick the bike over and check if you get a nice fat spark (best to do in a darker room without a lot of light)

-make sure the oil pump is disconnected,if you run premix AND the oil pump, no wonder youre plugs will foul

-take off the carburetor and clean it, not only on the outside but also blow trough all passageways and orifices,use carb cleaner and pressurized air to blow all orifices trough, these smokers are very sensible on blocked carb passageways

-buy a few new plugs and run the bike over a longer period of time, I had the same issue with a 2 stroke taht was standing to long you need to get the excess oil out of the system

-check the ignition and check the adjustment of the ignition

maybe you can post a video of the bike running?does it smoke a lot?

Sorry for the super late response to your reply to a post I made back in October (included below for reference) with work and having a baby I lost track of this project almost immediately after I tried to start. I just cleaned the carb and jets again very well and replaced the spark plug. The bike fired up on the second kick. The only issue is that now it seems to be idling very fast and there is a lot of white smoke coming out the back. Would that have anything to do with my mixture?

I really appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom