Next Project - Plate Alloy 5.5m Xtracab

XS750AU

Coast to Coast
Not a bike this time. It is time for a boat upgrade, something I can have confidence to out to sea rather than staying in Port Phillip Bay which is relatively sheltered. My old boat did a good job in the bay and we caught some great fish.
The new boat is 5.5m (18') long with a self draining deck and cabin, it does get cold down south in Australia. It is going to be a squeeze building it at my house, but I would rather do that then have to travel to a build site.
The Cebora Synchronous Double Pulse welder is being suspended on a 60mm tube rail 5m long. I made up a carriage with 4 ball bearings as rollers. By using the rail system I can easily weld anywhere on the hull with the standard 4m mig gun. The other option is $1000 push/pull gun.
The kit arrives next week, all the plates are partially cut out of 6m sheets of 5083 aluminium using a NC router.

Attachments

• Cebora Rail trolley.jpg
    Cebora Rail trolley.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 282
  • Strong back work place..jpg
    Strong back work place..jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 55XCAB.pdf
    235.3 KB · Views: 229
The weather was not kind to me this weekend, Saturday afternoon was a right off, wild, wet and windy. Managed to setup the plywood forms onto their stations. Made sure that they went on square by measuring the diagonals. They have lined up well, edge to edge and through the dowel holes. The photo through the dowel holes shows them all lined up through all six stations.
Sunday was spent cutting the pieces out of the 6,100mm X 2440mm alloy sheets. Each piece has its profile cut by a NC router, but there are small tabs every 400mm holding the piece in the sheet for delivery. Took all day to cut out all the parts and then clean up the edges.
Hope to start tacking it together next weekend, weather permitting. ::)

Attachments

• LH Lineup.jpg
    LH Lineup.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 263
  • RH Lineup.jpg
    RH Lineup.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Sight holes X6.jpg
    Sight holes X6.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 261
  • Hardback setup.jpg
    Hardback setup.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Flatpack kit.jpg
    Flatpack kit.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 268
Wow, what a project. Looks cool.

Are your bikes trapped till this is done? Not much room.

Yes, its tight alright. But there is a gate to the left that you cannot see. So luckily I can get the bike out to let off some steam.

Awesome. Building another boat is on my list in the next 10 years or so. I've got an 18' cedar strip kayak that a couple friends and I built in high school. I don't get it out much as I like since it lives halfway across the country right now.

Does that come as a kit from a vendor with all the parts in a CAD file? Very cool, looks like one big puzzle just like I like it!

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 248
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 691
Love the kayak. My first boat build was a tango skiff http://www.tangoskiff.com/ which was a simple first go. Loved working with wood but built up a dislike for sanding fibre glass.
This boat is focused on fishing not beauty. Alloy is more durable and no sanding. It will be interesting.
Yes it is a kit, their website is http://www.platealloy.com/

Attachments

• 07234878.JPG
    07234878.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 254
Dude! Building an aluminum boat from scratch is one hell of a project. I love it!
You have a photo of what it will look like when it's done?

If you go back to the original post there is a pdf with all the details on the finished boat.
Not the prettiest, but a good safe, strong offshore boat.

Pretty happy with the progress from the weekend. I have learnt to appreciate ratchet straps, basically pulled it into shape with ratchet straps before stitching it with the MIG. Amazing how accurate the NC cut panels go together.

Attachments

• 1 Pulling up the plates.jpg
    1 Pulling up the plates.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 2 Pulling the frames.jpg
    2 Pulling the frames.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 250
  • 3 Starting on the plates.jpg
    3 Starting on the plates.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 245
  • 4 Stitched to the bow.jpg
    4 Stitched to the bow.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 5 Bow plates.jpg
    5 Bow plates.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 6 As it sits.jpg
    6 As it sits.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 250
Looking good...your a braver man than me(and a better welder by the looks of it ) no way in hell Id go to sea any anything I welded together lol

wozza said:
(and a better welder by the looks of it )
I am glad I spent the extra cash to get a very good quality Sychronous Pulse MIG welder. It enables a novice to do this. I do check the penetration of the weld set up, by welding off cuts and cutting sections.

Weather was not helpful today, cold for Melbourne at a maximum temp of 10C. Weather is coming up from the Antartic!
Progress was frustrating. I though I would do the right thing and blow out the torch liner to make sure the feed was smooth. All I did was block it up solid. Guess that is one of the risks of buying second hand and not knowing how it had previously been maintained. In the end I just went and got a new liner, there was no way I could remove the blockage.
It took me a while to feed the new liner into the torch. I tried from both ends, and was successful by feeding in from the torch end.
I ended up tacking in 2 bays of stringers and frame #5. What I did get done, went together very well. The scribe marks are all lining up. Weather is not forecast to be any better tomorrow, see how we go.

Back
Top Bottom