Salzburg '73 CB350 - Summer Riding Update

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Paint tank / front caliper mount

You've got some interesting stuff going on there.
Nice to know about alloy prep/painting from someone with experience of preventing corrosion on alloy

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Paint tank / front caliper mount

The weather has been great these past few weekends and I decided to get the paint on the tank and tail before my luck runs out.

Untitled by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

I also shot some other parts for a second CB350 project bike.

Two tone paint on a stock tank for the 2nd project bike.

I'll post the finished photos soon. I let the clear dry overnight with some 300w shop lights in my makeshift paint booth.

I've only ever shot single stage Nason paint before and not base/clear. Wow what a great product. It cost a bit more $, but holy crap this is great paint. Tape can be pulled off in 30 minutes, it doesn't build up high on the edges, no sticky overspray... I had feared putting on the clear and getting runs, but it shot fine. Two med-wet coats and it's super glossy. Total cost was $330, but I've got about a pint left of red and no white. Not too bad for painting two bikes.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Final paint work

Did anyone else read this whole thread in a German accent? haha keep up the great work. It looks fantastic

Starter plug will be shipped tomorrow
Nice paint 8)

I must congratulate you on your exceptional taste in tank and colour scheme!! :D
P1070065.jpg

Great work so far!

I'm starting to gather parts to get the assembly portion of the project moving. I'm sourcing a lot of high quality inexpensive used parts on ebay. So far I've got:
Ninja EX500 brake caliper/rotor/master cylinder & handle
Ninja adjustable clutch perch & handle
DL650 left side switch cluster
GSX250 tank & petcock
450 forks, stem & axle
GSXR 750 steering damper
Motogadget

I'm still performing my engine paint test and hope to have results soon. I'm also testing Duplicolor 500F engine paint. So far the un-treated parts don't hold paint very well.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: paint finished - buying parts

I'm starting to do a bit of mock up on the frame so I can get it to powder coat soon.

Anyone know what model side stand I should use? My stock one isn't long enough.

Mock up by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: paint finished - side stand question

What style is your current one? The one we are building has the pegs built off the bracket...

Tifun said:
What style is your current one? The one we are building has the pegs built off the bracket...
The foot peg cross member will be removed. I've already cut off the tabs that hold it on. I plan on relocating the side stand towards the front of the bike so as not to interfere with the rear set.

I think I've seen people use GSXR side stands, but I don't know the length.

The paint looks terrific. The whole bike is really shaping up.

As far as the sidestand, why not just make a longer piece? Its a pretty simple deal.

VonYinzer said:
The paint looks terrific. The whole bike is really shaping up.

As far as the sidestand, why not just make a longer piece? Its a pretty simple deal.

I don't really want to make a longer attachment angle. I think it would look a bit odd with a 2"+ tab on the frame and a 7" stand. I'd really just like to have a 9" stand.

I've got a spare stand from a 750 that may work. Ill even cut the braket off the frame if its something you'd be interested in. Ill at least measure to give you an idea.

Keith

Side stand by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Got my new side stand installed. It's off a GSX1000. Only cost $10. I'll probably make money selling my stock side stand & center stand. ;D

It fits up nicely and doesn't interfere with the rear set. I'll have to cut off the little kick rod and move it 3" down the stand.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: rear fender mock up

Mock up of stub rear fender by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Still chugging away at the project. I'm mocking up a stub of a rear fender before I send the frame out for powder coat.

I'm bolting it at the top of the metal electronics tray. I still need to clearance & cut out for the chain. It's the stock rear fender flipped back to front. I plan on painting it black. The chrome was terrible.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: rear fender

I'm sending her out for powder coat tomorrow. Anyone see anything that I should weld on now?

Rear brake pull switch will be a chrome bolt on kind to the right side shock bolt. Rear fender is bolted at the top and has a brace under the electronics tray.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: rear fender

Man, your bike is BEAUTIFUL. Outstanding work so far! What seat are you using?

Back
Top Bottom