J.Webster Designs - CB750 - Customer Build project: "Hitch"

midnight08

Hey fellas,

Some of you may know me, most have probably never heard of me. I have been a lurker on DTT for a while and a member of some of the other motorcycle community forums. I have been meaning to post some of my builds on DTT. But for some reason or another I didn't get around to it.

I am Justin. I started my company J.Webster Designs in 2012 and have been growing it steadily since. I designs and manufacture aftermarket goodies for motorcycles and I currently specialize in the vintage Hondas. I will be growing my product line and branching out to universal fit and other brand specific parts. If you want to check out some of the stuff that I make, check out my website at:

www.JWebsterDesigns.com

Or check out the "Member Ventures" area here on DTT. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?board=115.0

I met Tim at the Barber Vintage Festival this year and told him that I would become more active on the site. So since I am a man of my word, here I am.

I tend to get excited when I post build threads and want to document everything that I am doing. But I tend to burn myself out trying to share everything that I am doing. So I am committing myself to posting pictures and information once I get to the final assembly stages.

SO. Without talking much more...

This is a customers bike that I am building for him. The customer came to me and asked to have a bike built that he has been wanting to own for quite some time. He wanted a customized CB750 of his dreams. He gave me a few guidelines, but left much of the creative aspect and design up to me. Obviously being a business owner, I have financial constraints that I must abide by which puts the axe to some of the things that I would like to do personally.

In picking a "project name" for a build, I ask my customers to name their projects. After all, It is their bike... I ask them to really think about it and not make a brash decision on a name. In this instance, my customer thought long and hard about it and eventually came to the realization of the name "Hitch." I will not go into the detail of why my customer chose this name as I am not posting this build thread on his behalf. But suffice it to say, it is a nod to a person that helped him with an important realization in his life. It means something to him and that is what matters.

So, Meet project "Hitch"

I was tasked to build this bike start to finish. He did not have a CB750, So I was tasked to find one for him to even get this project rolling. I found this 1978 CB750K in Illinois. It was a runner and relatively clean. The previous owner had made a few personal changes to it himself, but ultimately I chose it because it was mostly unmolested.

I immediately started tearing all of the stock items that would not be used off and chopping up the parts that would be modified.

I cut things, welded things, bent things and generally made things better.

First thing I did was ditch the original '78 K tank in favor of an earlier model.

And because I can not leave well enough alone... I made up some mounting tabs and welded them to the tank for turn signal mounts.

Here is the lower triple tree that I filled and smoothed.

I then made and added a pedestal to the lower triple to attach the pedestal mount Bates style headlight to the triple tree for a clean look that would flow well.

I also shaved the upper triple tree as I will be using clip ons instead of a riser mounted set of bars.

I then made a mount for the Motogadget "Tiny" speedo.

I modified the battery tray on the electrical side to house all of the new electrical goodies. This bike will be running a one piece Reg/Rec unit as well as a full Motogadget line up.

I then made the decision on the tail lights and made some threaded plugs and welded them to the ends of the frame tubes so that they would flow seamlessly into the frame.

Before: (excuse the bondo and fitment of the tail. I was making the mould for the fiberglass tail at that time.)

After:

I de-tabbed the entire frame and shaved the swingarm.

I then fiberglassed up a tail section for the bike and after a bunch of hours and work... I arrived at the final look and feel of the bike.

At this stage, The bike was ready for paint, powder coating and Polishing.

The Paint and powder colors were decided upon and the deed was done...

All of the shiny parts laying comfortably inside.

Of course, when you get paint and powder coat back, you cant help but do a "mock up" to see how it is all coming together.

So after getting extremely excited about how it is all coming together, it was time to start ACTUALLY putting it together...

And this is where we stand today...

There are obviously things that I have not covered. I will try to showcase the other modifications that have made their way on to the bike. But this at least gets the build thread rolling and on it's way.

Looking good Justin I like the look of the little Speedo on there .I'm sure there will be lots of little things on there that make this bike stand out ...

looking damn fine, i particularly like the front indicator mounts and the rear light set up, keep up the good work

Thanks guys!

Yozzer, Yes. There are plenty of little things that are not obvious, but make a large difference. I tend to believe that when subtle changes are made, people are more intrigued because they know something is different, but cant quite put there finger on it.

Spotty, Thanks! it took a while to figure out where I was going to locate the turn indicators so that it would appear as if the bike didn't have any, but they would still be functional and practical.

Here is the final finish on that modified lower triple with the pedestal mount.

I also added some tapered stem bearings from All Balls Racing.

Re: J.Webster Designs - CB750 - Customer Build project: "Hitch"

Nice! Keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakota,

They are great bikes. It is where my passion for motorcycling began. I have a sweet spot for the old Hondas.

J-Rod10 said:
Where'd you get those indicators?

let ebay be your friend on this matter, i've got the red (tail-light) version of them from there but i can't find the listing, i'm sure they'll be there somewhere

SOOOO I am pretty horrible at updating build threads. But..... This bike was delivered to the client a while back. I have been sitting on pictures till one of the big bike blogs picked it up and Bike EXIF finally did so now I can drop pictures everywhere. Check out the Bike EXIF feature and the pictures and let me know what you think.

Bike EXIF feature: http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb750k-cafe-racer

Where do you put all the wiring when you put a Bates headlight ?
I'm building my own cb750k 77 but I don't find where to put those wires !!

Thanks
JS

jsebastien - This bike was rewired using a Motogadget M-unit and a handmade harness. All those wire connections in the headlight no longer exist!

Back
Top Bottom