Small/flatter seat?

C

cory.ahlersmeyer

Does anyone know of a smaller/flatter seat for the KZ305 CSR? I'm going for a more brat-ish look, and the hideous seat (and the bars) on the 305 CSR must go. I can fab one up, but if I need not to....

Something like the 650?
78withpodsbiggerpic-1.jpg

or the 900?
IMG_9397web.jpg

or this?
80G1-rightfront-drkayak.jpg

Although it would make sense for a lot of the KZ parts to fit, I'm afraid the trend is= other parts don't fit. That is not a rule, but I've noticed a trend. Different year kz's won't fit the same engine a year later, that kind of thing.

If I were you: find some examples of seats you like. Come up with a design you really like. Find out what materials to use and make it yourself!

Most stock seats are bulky and huge. If you happen to find one that looks appealing, chances are the hinges, etc won't fit onto your frame..

That's also a pretty odd-ball bike. Not many of them around, so I doubt you'll ever find anyone making an aftermarket seat just for it.
I had a '76 KZ750 twin a few years back, and made my own seat for it using the stock seat pan and foam.
I cut about 4" off the back end of the seat pan with tin snips and filed it down, then cut off a big chunk of the foam. I used that chunk to make the hump on the rear. Just glued it together with spray adhesive I think and then carved and shaped it the way I wanted. I did have the cover done by a pro, but you could do something much simpler by yourself. Here's how she looked...

bikepics-2366007-full.jpg

bikepics-2365999-full.jpg

These are the only pictures of this bike that I have, but the seat process was pretty simple; basically just what I described above.
Cut the seat pan to shape.
Cut the foam off and shape a little bit.
Cut up the remaining chunk to make the bump; shape it pretty close, then glue it down.
I think I shaped the back end to its final form after gluing down the bump.
Played with the upholstery pattern on paper first, then just drew it out on the foam with a sharpie.
Deliver to upholstery doode... Wait patiently...
I did the rivets after I got it back; Simple Pop rivets with Finish washers. It didn't look Burt Reynolds enough without them I guess...

I was going for a brat style seat also. I took my old seat apart and just shaved down the foam .
Then got it reupholster . My next project will be to build a removable seat cowl .

Attachments

• beforeSeat.JPG
    beforeSeat.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 790
  • AfterSeat.JPG
    AfterSeat.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 793
  • AfterSeatBike.JPG
    AfterSeatBike.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 851
Back
Top Bottom