JANUARY 2010 BIKE OF THE MONTH - VOTING!

Vote for your choice for Bike of the Month!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
Presented here are the nominees for January 2010 DO THE TON Bike of the Month :)

Along with bragging rights the winner will be featured on our lovely banner across the top of the site for the month of January! We get over 500,000 page views each month - the winning bike will be featured on every single one! Surely it will add at least $1 or so to the value of your already priceless bike ;)

Cast your vote! You can only vote once so make your choice carefully!

Nominees - please post your write-ups, pics and convince people to vote for your bike! If I've gotten any of the names of the bikes etc. incorrect in the poll just let me know (I took the info from the nominations thread).

Let the games begin! Voting will close sometime late in the evening December 31!

You'll find them in the Nominations thread - I want the nominees to post in here with their stories and pics.

Oregon CB750

Hi guys,

Sorry I am not on here much. My internet access is limited. I am honored to be nominated by you guys. Thank you all.

So I have not been riding motorcycles that long. I just didnt understand why people liked them. They were loud, dangerous and it seemed like you always had to depend on the weather to ride one or not. It seemed so out of control and one wrong move could turn things into a disaster. Well, after my wife convinced me to get one I realized those were all the reasons that make riding a motorcycle fun. They are dangerous and all the soccer moms in their
SUVs seem to have it out for you but for some weird reason that makes it a rush. I was hooked. Everyone around here rides newer Harleys so I wanted something different,something old because old stuff always has more character. I love Bob Hansen's CR450 and I wanted to build a 450 but none could be found when I was in need of something to build. So, I found this CB750 thinking it might work because at least it is kind of old. I bought it and then found out there is a huge fan base for this bike and lots of potential. This bike has me hooked on old bikes and I am sure it will be a life long problem. Here is some info on the bike.
Sorry if that was all too much info, I am just excited that I was nominated.

1971 CB750
836 big bore kit
CR450 tank and seat
CB900 headlight
Newer Kawasaki brake master cylinder
CB350 speedo and tach
Tail lights from the truck stop

Thanx again for your votes

Jacobsbike.jpg

bikeweepingtree.jpg

bikewingemblem.jpg

bike-double-windows-bw.jpg

I have owned this bike for about 6 years. It is the first and only bike that I have owned. I was inspired to build a cafe from an english motorcycle magazine that had a honda 500 twin with a black bomber tank on it about 5 years ago. The project was started and then left in bits while life went on around it. The inspiration finally came back about 2 years ago and the original plan was to modify the original bits and add some homemade custom bits along the way. After spending countless hours moulding a seat adding knee dents to the tank, stripping and modifying the frame, polishing bits... well you guys no the drill. i finally layed some paint on the frame, tank and seat added some decals and then managed to knock the f_____g thing over and dinged the tank and seat. I was gutted all that work wasted. I left it in a corner and closed the door. 6 months past when one night I was on the dreaded ebay and came across a 68 cb175 tank with the chrome side covers and rubbers ( rear as over here let me tell you). I won it and the inspiration was back. I prepped the tank and then headed for the auto store to find a colour. "green is nice" (classic line from an aussie movie, running on empty) so green it was. I couldn't bring myself to spend the hours to remake the seat so a nitro heads one was purchased from Dues along with the indicators and taillight. Some motobits rearsets were ordered and fitted. A set of cbx250 clipons were drilled out to 31mm and flipped upside down for the bars, front hub was drilled, battery and wiring was hidden in the frame, front fender bobbed, rear fender made from part of the cutoff front fender, fork seals replaced, gaskets replaced, air filters, exhaust modified etc etc.
All through the process of this build this site has given me inspiration. Some of the builds on here are just amazing. i'm stoked to say the least to have my bike nominated considering the quality of bikes on this site.
Anyway enough of my dribble here's some pics.

smallversion2-006.jpg

Finished-015.jpg

Finished-029.jpg

Finished-045low.jpg

lets get these pics up here... IMO there should be a min number of posts required to be nominated... (this is not a shot at anyone at all please do not take it that way) just saying there should be a 100 min post to be nominated, only right that the people up for this are giving to the site if their bike is going to be the banner rep'n it

First off, thanks for the nomination, really appreciate it.

So, a little about the bike. Not much to say really, its a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 D1 and I picked it up around three years ago. Mechanically it was in decent shape but cosmetically it had seen better days. That first winter I worked on cleaning it up and making it semi-presentable. This involved the following:

• clubmans
  • homemade fiberglass seat
  • wrapping headers
  • shortening mufflers
  • paint...everything
  • lots of aluminum polishing
  • pod filters
  • electronic ignition and new coils
  • removed head for cleaning

Mechanically, I cleaned the head, reshimmed the valves, installed electronic ignition, and fixed the carbs and replaced some bearings. Right now it is as reliable as a modern bike. Starts on half a kick and never gives me any problems. Total blast to ride too. Exhaust note above 5K is addicting ;D

Like a lot of our bikes its still a work in progress. Over this winter, I'll be installing new lower gauges and instrument panel.

Now a couple of pics. First is how it looked the day I got it. The rest are various ones since the work.

beforeLeft.jpg

PortugalCove.jpg

PortugalCove_2.jpg

MiddleCove2.jpg

harbour.jpg

Waterfront_1.jpg

i love the bike too......you may think im a dick but this bike was on the banner for how long? i think whats fair is fair....

yeah, but he shouldn't be excluded from the honor of winning BOTM just because someone used a pic of his bike when they decided it was time to change up the banner. I think he should stay.

Nope - HerrDeacon's bike was nominated fair and square and if he wins, his bike will again grace our site banner :)

It's a tight race for the win this month across a number of bikes - vote for your favorite and convince others to vote for it too!

No worries - HerrDeacon's bike did indeed have a fair amount of time as our site banner - mainly because I was so tired of looking at Noel's 550 ;) and his bike was made into a nice banner when I asked for something to put up there.

I don't think it will unduly influence voters, and there's a good amount of solid competition this month - its a tight race for the win, but with over two weeks to go its anyone's to win at this point!

Tim, You are as fair as they come, I can tell.

I agree with Joe's point about "membership". There is definitely a community here and there maybe should be a "minimum number of posts to be considered" invlolved here in the future. Nothing against any of the builds here. They are all beautiful!

The minimum posts idea sounds like a good idea to me, and the 100 suggested by JRK sounds fair enough IMO.

Brilliant pictures and backstories guys, love your work.

- boingk

JRK5892 said:
lets get these pics up here... IMO there should be a min number of posts required to be nominated... (this is not a shot at anyone at all please do not take it that way) just saying there should be a 100 min post to be nominated, only right that the people up for this are giving to the site if their bike is going to be the banner rep'n it

:)

Agreed. I was hinting at that myself in the nominations thread...LOL

Best of luck HotFunk 67.

--Chris

Definitely something we'll consider for next month's contest - the tenure of the membership, be it by number of posts, or the number of months since the member registered, or some combination.

Here's a reprint of last months write-up, so unless you missed it last time just skip to the pix.

"Espresso Love" started life as a 1974 Honda CB450 that I bought for $250. I've kept very poor records of the expenses, but I'd estimate the total cost to be somewhere between $1000 and $1500 plus countless hours tinkering in the garage over about a year and a half.

This was my first attempt at a bike build and I guess what I'm most proud of is that everything on the bike that I thought I possibly could, I built or did myself. This includes the tank and seat which were carved out of styrofoam blocks and fiberglassed (my mom did the upholstery), the clip-on bars, the headlight bracket, the exhaust, the rearsets, the wiring harness and electric upgrades, the license plate bracket, the disassembly lacing and truing of the wheels, mounting the tires, drilling the brake disc, refacing of the gauges, polishing and painting.

Thanks, CC

Before:
1.jpg

After:
DSC01860.jpg

DSC01778.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom