FZR600 Neo-Cafe

Why thank you old chap. It's very rare, so I'm keen to retain it. I've started painting the seat unit to match, which is going to be a major job of work!

I've been mulling the engine. As aforementioned, the barrels really need a rebore, gone beyond the potential salvation of a hone. A rebore means new pistons, which means big money.

Been reading around and the mid nineties YZF motor is very similar, but has a fraction less stroke and a smidge more bore. However, with the addition of a custom cut 5mm base gasket the YZF top end mates seamlessly to the FZR bottom end to give 660cc and, properly set up, just North of the magic hundred horsepower - ton up power for ton up performance.

This should also save me pennies as over here entire YZF (or FZR600R) too ends in good order can had quite cheaply, so I can get more edge for less wedge.

Just found this thread. I'm in :D

Good to see a fellow Brit on here doing it. Liking that you've chosen an atypical bike/model and doing your own thing with it (much like my build), cool.

Shed built on a budget sorts the men from the boyz I reckon, but sometimes a spend is a must, bite the engine bullet and you'll move the project along nicely.

The Limey said:
You're not a million miles from me Colin. I'm on the boonies near Northampton.

Ah no, you're not too far, have you been to the Skins Cafe in Brackley, great coffee and sell some nice riding kit?
Not a local, but not far from some biker mates (Honda 400twin cafe, Harley FatBoy and my Honda CBX Scrambler), enjoyed a ride out just before the weather changed.

I know it - I was based at the cop shop there for a while - but never frequented it. Once I've got this bike sorted I'll be visiting a few such establishments ;)

Started rubbing down the engine covers for paint. Going for a matte black.

Some good news. The clutch has few signs of wear, looks very new in mileage terms, so some pennies saved there.

Well that's always good. Glad to hear you figured out how to freshen the motor cheaper for more horses too.

Things are going slowly at the moment. The weather is cold, -9C last night, barely above freeing by day, which makes the workshop rather painful to be in! It also makes it impractical to be applying paint.

On top of that I've knackered my shoulder and I'm supposed to be resting it completely for 6 weeks - bar the therapeutic exercises I've got to do - or risk needing surgery to fix it.

Still, things haven't stopped completely. I've sussed the final mounting of the seat unit and it's now got a solid white basecoat, so next stage is to start masking for the red stripes to be sprayed on.

I've also got new levers and front master cylinder on the way, as well as some spanking new grips.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, Try not to make it worse. Good to hear you're keeping at what you can.

It's -5ish here in East Anglia, I've got a Z1170 engine to get back together, but it'll have to wait until the weekend.

Get well soon, I hurt my shoulder cycling, it took ages to heal.

:eek: sorry to hear about the shoulder! I've had 4 surgeries on my left shoulder and 3 on the right, all from racing accidents 8) Rest it and take care of it, surgery is no fun :( Bike will still be there when you are healed ;)

Had me elbow pinned back together some years back. Combination of advancing years and favouring my bionic arm have weakened the shoulder making it unstable and now I got an impingement problem. Hurts more than Hilary's election night. Major bollocking from the Doctor - rest it or risk surgery.

On the plus side she's an attractive blonde lady, and when she was examining me she kept rubbing her norks on me so it isn't all bad!

The Limey said:
Had me elbow pinned back together some years back. Combination of advancing years and favouring my bionic arm have weakened the shoulder making it unstable and now I got an impingement problem. Hurts more than Hilary's election night. Major bollocking from the Doctor - rest it or risk surgery.

On the plus side she's an attractive blonde lady, and when she was examining me she kept rubbing her norks on me so it isn't all bad!

I should image you will have to go back and have her look at it quite often then just to be sure it's progressing properly ;D

Today I've done some more masking and painting of the red stripes on the seat unit. Boring, tiresome work.

I've also rubbed down and painted the bar end weights in satin black. The Devil in is the detail ;)

Slow progress...

Attachments

• WP_20161203_14_02_46_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20161203_14_02_46_Pro (2).jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 270
Back
Top Bottom