Work / Shop Aprons / Tool Rolls

johngofast

Over 1,000 Posts
I've Been working on some designs for shop aprons and tool rolls, here's a finished sample of one of the aprons.

All of the hardware is solid brass, the canvas and webbing (strap) are 100% cotton, has an upper pocket that will accommodate most cell phones (including iPod 4 and 5) or your safety glasses, a large lower pocket will fit an iPad / tablet, there are two mini pockets for small items like nuts and bolts, the upper straps are crossed to keep them off your neck, lower back strap has a brass clasp that attaches to a D-ring.

I'd definitely love to hear your constructive criticism, features you'd like to see...

null_zps4346c657.jpg

BACK:
null_zpsfa3437a3.jpg

null_zpsa879ae60.jpg

null_zpsa28524a0.jpg

null_zpsd38a5654.jpg

Re: Work / Shop Aprons

Very nice.
I'd like to see a version in leather. That would work better for welding or at the blacksmith forge. Also, something absorbent like cotton would reek of chemicals if fairly short order. For instance, I use kerosene in my parts washer. There is always a little splash.

I like that it accommodates an iPad. Not so sure about the front/center location, though. Might be too subject to damage and be in the way while you work. All the way to one side might be functionally better. I have been thinking about using my iPad as a PDF viewer for service manuals while at the lift table.

A dedicated pocket for a small LED flashlight would be excellent, and one for a magnetic retrieval wand. I use those two things all the time.

Can't tell from the picture, but will the Ipad pocket fit an Ipad with one of the bulkier/shock absorbing cases? Seems like most people with Ipads that get used outside of the living room have a case that adds a fair bit of bulk.

nice work ;)
thats a good design i used to wear an apron daily as a machinist and we had one of the guys who made them
we used a similar strap layout it is the best way,like yours, that crosses in the back,not hanging from a loop around your neck, those really suck
i always thought some logo patches or silk screen work might make a nice apron more sellable

xb33bsa said:
strap layout it is the best way,like yours, that crosses in the back,not hanging from a loop around your neck, those really suck

I suffer from chronic neck pain if I have even the slightest weight hanging from my neck.

Many years ago, I was having a lot of neck trouble. Turned out to be the notebook that I was carrying in my shirt pocket.

may i suggest 2 sizes yer gonna need it not me i would be standard size but
SS = standard size
FF= fat fuck
;D

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Very nice.
I'd like to see a version in leather. That would work better for welding or at the blacksmith forge. Also, something absorbent like cotton would reek of chemicals if fairly short order. For instance, I use kerosene in my parts washer. There is always a little splash.

I like that it accommodates an iPad. Not so sure about the front/center location, though. Might be too subject to damage and be in the way while you work. All the way to one side might be functionally better. I have been thinking about using my iPad as a PDF viewer for service manuals while at the lift table.

A dedicated pocket for a small LED flashlight would be excellent, and one for a magnetic retrieval wand. I use those two things all the time.

ADC,

I have a boat load of flame resistant fabric samples waiting for me to test. I plan to offer a welders apron, it would be like this, but with a small flap over the lower pockets, it would also be non-absorbent.

I have tested a few Kevlar fabrics while welding and they have done better than leather in the same test.

I did not mention, but these apron shown will be produced in waxed canvas, the canvas shown is obviously absorbent, though it is a tight weave and most liquid rolls right off.

The Ipad will not fit in the center area, only the outside right bottom pocket, other tablets might fit in the left pocket.

I too use a magnetic wand often, mine is a retractable pencil size and would fit in either of the upper pencil pockets, what type do you use? I have also thought about imbedding a flexible magnet into the face of one of the pockets so while working you could just stick a small screw or nut to it on the outside..

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.

Nice idea!
I'll second the leather notion.

Another thing I noticed is that the central lower pocket has been divided but is large enough for things to get lost in it.
This is a bad idea, for the last thing I need is more places to loose tools. I loose them all over my shop anyway.

If you leave the central pocket in tact and square, and then add the smaller pocket inside the larger pocket it might work better. (think jeans with the watch pocket)

Crossing straps are a great idea, don't loose that.

I use a pen-type telescoping magnet. Yes, a pen pocket works fine for it, but then where would you put your pen? <G>

I like the magnet idea.

An oilcloth kind of fabric might be just right for the job for everything but welding or the forge.

I usually have to put a different shirt on for welding anyway. I don't wear leather to weld anymore, because I don't do stick welding. There is virtually no splatter from TIG welding. More important is UV protection to avoid sunburn. I have a long-sleeved cotton shirt dedicated to that job. Way too hot to wear my leather welding sleeves during the summer. Don't really need them for TIG.

78cb550 said:
Can't tell from the picture, but will the Ipad pocket fit an Ipad with one of the bulkier/shock absorbing cases? Seems like most people with Ipads that get used outside of the living room have a case that adds a fair bit of bulk.

Yes, it fits with my Otterbox case and that's one of the largest I know of.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
I use a pen-type telescoping magnet. Yes, a pen pocket works fine for it, but then where would you put your pen? <G>

I like the magnet idea.

An oilcloth kind of fabric might be just right for the job for everything but welding or the forge.

I usually have to put a different shirt on for welding anyway. I don't wear leather to weld anymore, because I don't do stick welding. There is virtually no splatter from TIG welding. More important is UV protection to avoid sunburn. I have a long-sleeved cotton shirt dedicated to that job. Way too hot to wear my leather welding sleeves during the summer. Don't really need them for TIG.

Haha, it has two pencil pockets, are you suggesting a third then?

I plan to make three versions; a cheap tie string with three pockets (still waxed canvas) somewhere in the $20 range, the version shown, and a welders apron. A few friends that are tattoo artists have asked for other features so possibly a version for that. Custom pockets and straps is quite easy and I plan to make a lot of these to order. Aside from the cheap version.

As for sizes, I still need to measure the range, but the apron front is wide enough and long enough to accommodate a larger person. The strap also has a wide range of adjustment.

iPads/tablets are getting smaller anyhow, and most people would use the pocket to transport the pad back and forth, not keep it in while working (what's the point of having a tablet shoved in your pocket - it should be propped up with your parts diagram on it or whatever).

A split leg option might be good - velcro closure or zipper or something. A lot of times I'm kneeling, stooped over etc. and having the apron get in the way would be a problem.

This is awesome man, great design, execution, and attention to detail. Put me down for a SS when you go to production!

Tim said:
A split leg option might be good - velcro closure or zipper or something.

I like that idea. I work a lot at lift tables sitting on a rolling shop stool. Split leg might be better for that. Maybe a tie string in the back of the apron to tie it to your leg.

Work / Shop Aprons

The iPad pocket would be better off in the middle if you end up going that route. Off to the side would mean the tablet would teeter-totter on you hip bone.
Check out Lee Valley Tools for some inspiration, they always put useful features into everything they sell.

It might be cool to have an embroidered ruler across the front. I'm forever having to locate where I left my measuring tape and I would be nice to just hold something up to my stomach. ;D

I'd prefer a simple apron with very minimal pockets.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
I like that idea. I work a lot at lift tables sitting on a rolling shop stool. Split leg might be better for that. Maybe a tie string in the back of the apron to tie it to your leg.

Yeah, split leg would be a cinch, I don't think I'll do that standard, but it will be a free option.

Back
Top Bottom