Project name: Smokin Jack? CB750F build

hapakev

This is my first project and first post on this forum. My ride is a 1978 CB750F, that I bought non-running, missing the whole rearend and all the lights. I got it all for the low, low price of $420 and a bottle of Gentleman Jack.

I found out the motor needed gaskets, rings, seals, top end rebuild and was a b!tch to get parts for. So, I pulled the motor and aquired a 73 CB750 motor. I rebuilt that motor with gaskets, HD studs, new seals, a valve job and a ring and hone job. Then found the case cracked/sealed with JB weld behind the drive sprocket. Damnit!!

I bought a non-titled 76 CB750F with 9k miles. Pulled the motor, carbs, seat, rear wheel and gauges for my bike. I still have most of the rest of that bike. I also found a 77 GL1000 roller that i robbed the wheels from. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the 76F lowerend with new seals, the internals look brand new including the cam chain guides. Im gonna switch over the HD studs, rings and 73 top end. The 76F top end will sit on the couch until I get around to sprucing it up.

I rebuilt the brakes, the front forks with progressive springs, put progressive shocks on the rear, superbike bars up front. I chopped up a stock seat pan, narrowed it and finished the rearend. I have a stock set pan thats waiting to be shortened and upholstered, a GL1000 front end and 76F rear wheel waiting to be swapped in and some other little cafe bits that are waiting in the wings.

Heres how it sits now, (pretty much)

100_1062.jpg

Re: Project name: Smokin Jack?

Great job. I really like the lines of that bike. That may be something I look into in the future :)

Before

IMG_0120.jpg

After

IMG_0253.jpg

A step in the right direction. More to come.

Made a little progress today, while the baby and wife were napping.

IMG_0263.jpg

May I ask how you installed a spoke wheel with the rear disc brakes? I was thinking of doing the same with my '78

You need to find a 75-76 cb750f rear wheel, its an 18" rim, same width and with a disc. If you use the sprocket carrier from your wheel, you dont need to modify any spacers. I found and installed a 77GL1000 front end with wheel and all. Start searching Craigslist buddy ;)

What do you guys think?

I raised the fork legs in the trees to see how much I need to lower the forks. Looks good to me. Its about three inches, so i'm thinking 2" internal and 1" up in the trees. This leaves me with 5" of travel under the lower tree. What do you guys think?

FxCam_1310046949261.jpg

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep it, haha. The exhaust will definitely help with the looks and tuning 8)

It finally feels like I'm making some good progress.

It's been a while since I posted here. I added Tomaselli Commander clip-ons and a tank with better paint. I got the bike assembled and running, then found the rear wheel was way out of true. I asked the shop that replaced the tires to check if it was true ??? . I trued the rear wheel at home and re-installed it. The rings must have finally seated, cause this thing takes off like a rocket all the way to redline. There is a slight headshake on decel, so I have a few things to check, but all in all its a blast to ride! Here are some pics.

FxCam_1315369692306.jpg

FxCam_1315369775808.jpg

IMAG0148-1.jpg

IMAG0151-1.jpg

A little update. i switched out the Cycle X ignition, for Hondaman's ignition (SOHC4), because I like the idea of being able to disconnect it and go back to point & coils operation if the unit quits on me, plus its got warranty. Tightened the head bearings. Trued my front wheel, which was way out, and found a bent spoke or two. The thing doesnt want to get trued, so i will be switching over to my GL alloy front wheel and probably re-lacing my rear hub to the GL rear rim. I dont have money for new spokes, so it's gonna be another budget build. I'm picking up a another MAC exhaust, that has the correct port mounts for the early CB750 head and is also Black, which is nice. More riding and tweaking to come.

Back
Top Bottom