'82 cafe XV750

supersporttdi - my conversion kit won't work for a XV500 ... they have a 4-bolt rear wheel spline drive and my kit is setup for the 1st Gen XV750/920 (or similar vintage XJ) 5-bolt rear wheel spline drive. In later years, the spline drive went to a 6-bolt.

JRK5892 - I didn't keep the 4" lowered forks ... determined they were too low and dangerous with not enough travel. I replaced them with 2" lowered forks and feel much better about them.

Don't mean to offend guys, but please try to keep this thread clean for my conversion kit and bike build - please create your own thread for reference material or 'what if' discussions.

even 2 inch is pushing it, i know i have had 2 inch drops on CB 750, harleys, and yamaha sport bikes blow out seals like nothing, I found the only way to keep this from happening is to shorten the spring a bit and add a helper spring in there, then cut the upper part, also that the lower unit on the damper that a tube will not do it, i use helper springs down on the lower damper as well so it is not such a END all BE all when you hit bumps, then use the stock amount of fluid, have done it this way now on about 8 customer bikes and had 0 problems wiht it, the meathod that is outlined in your picture will cause you to blow out your seals and bottom out the forks, unless you add more damper (either with emulators or drilling out the damper) if you do not want to do that do not use the tube on the damper use a heavy spring

midnightcafe - yeah, looks like the XS is a 6-bolt and I can't be certain if the spacing of my adapter hub/drum covers would be right for the XS wheels either. I'm certain the bearing combo could be accomodated though (for any different axle diameters).

JRK5892 - thanks for the tips again!

Cafe-XV750 said:
supersporttdi - my conversion kit won't work for a XV500 ... they have a 4-bolt rear wheel spline drive and my kit is setup for the 1st Gen XV750/920 (or similar vintage XJ) 5-bolt rear wheel spline drive. In later years, the spline drive went to a 6-bolt.

JRK5892 - I didn't keep the 4" lowered forks ... determined they were too low and dangerous with not enough travel. I replaced them with 2" lowered forks and feel much better about them.

Don't mean to offend guys, but please try to keep this thread clean for my conversion kit and bike build - please create your own thread for reference material or 'what if' discussions.

What about using a rear from a 750 then? wouldn't they still be the same dimensions? I'm assuming the front forks would still be the same right?

Front fork spacing and caliper location (axially and radially) would have to be the same - no guarantees, but you might be able to dig thru the parts fische sites to figure it out if it has a chance.

Could you design a kit that would work with the XV920 R? This is the chain drive euro style bike, with the dual front discs. I'm interested in this kit to fit the smaller front wheel, however it would obviously need modification to work with dual front discs. Let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew

To design a kit I would need a bike - or at least the wheels on forks and swingarm - to figure out what it would take. At the moment I'm not buying up parts from other models to figure other kits out.

I got lucky figuring out the XJ fitment as someone bought my XV kit and tried it - he ended up making minor modification to simple spacers to make it work.

This doesnt really have much to do with this thread but I have a virago 535 91 model, Can I change the rear and front wheels from the 750 and put them on my 535? If I can I maybe will be intersted in having a rear wheel both back anad front. I am a total noob so sorry if this is a simple question. Thanks

Don't really know for sure, but probably not - swingarms and wheel spacing likely changed over the generations (mono to dual shock, drum to disc brake, etc.). Search the OE parts microfiche sites between '81-83 and your year bike to see if there are any common part numbers (axles, bearings, etc). Only way to know for sure is to try it out, but you're on your own there.

Andrew,
you can sling several wheels directly onto that 920r (great bike to build from!!!), Yamaha...but really most all manufacturers are pretty good about keeping the family lines fairly simple. I know for a fact that early 90's FZ700/750 wheels will all but slot right in with a simple change in spacers (and perhaps rear?? bearings?) At that point the door is wide open for upgraded brakes/calipers etc.....never mind far superior tires. Go for it mate!

hi, i have a xv750 1982 and i want to convert it in a cafe racer too, i want to ask what foot pegs, rear brake pedal, shift pedal are u going to use.......Thanks

OMG really cool bike man love your vision on this (i hear your dad want the bike back when your finished!!!!!) :) ;) :D ;D

I have a XV920 tank mocked-up on the bike right now ... definitely more capacity and more cafe'ish (squared off, knee dents), but a little too tall in the back with my XV750 tank riser (welded) on the frame. Might pick up a different seat pan to go with the XV920 tank and have the ability to switch between the two tank/seat combos.

My plan was to use a Tarozzi universal rear set 'kit' for the shifter side (cut down/adapt the stock shift arm for linkage). Will use the Tarozzi pegs for the brake side, but will flip/shorten the OE rear brake lever.

My Dad has said he wants to ride it when it's ready, but he's done with motorcycles otherwise ... whew!

Cafe-XV750 said:
I have a XV920 tank mocked-up on the bike right now ... definitely more capacity and more cafe'ish (squared off, knee dents), but a little too tall in the back with my XV750 tank riser (welded) on the frame. Might pick up a different seat pan to go with the XV920 tank and have the ability to switch between the two tank/seat combos.

My plan was to use a Tarozzi universal rear set 'kit' for the shifter side (cut down/adapt the stock shift arm for linkage). Will use the Tarozzi pegs for the brake side, but will flip/shorten the OE rear brake lever.

My Dad has said he wants to ride it when it's ready, but he's done with motorcycles otherwise ... whew!

I plan to use the Tarozzi rear sets also. I tried to figure out how to use the stockers, but they are just too bulky and just plain ugly. One of Sepp Koch's bikes has a nice contoured billet mounting plate that I am thinking of copying. :) Matt, do you know of any tank swaps for the XV? That backbone is really wide, ain't it?

Yeah - not a fan of the stock XV pegs either.

I've seen some HD tank swaps over on ViragoTechForum, but haven't paid that much attention to them as it was never really in my plans.

This thread is great! Very entertaining and informative. I have a 82 XV920 I'm trying to build up like the Englebert bike.
This thread will help me very much!

FINALLY! I should have my new suppliers rear-to-front wheel conversion parts by the end of next week - which means that all the pre-orders should ship out by mid-Nov ... I thank those of you who've waited for your patience.

If you've been wanting a kit but have been on-the-fence due to availability let me know - can be in your hands by Thanksgiving. Or if you want one on your Christmas list, your gifter can contact me at racer6692@yahoo.com

And I promise that I'll have more build updates in this thread in the coming months - have been many other distractions this past summer keeping me from it. I want this project done for Spring '11!

great to hear that the modkit for the rear to front is coming soon!
i`m trying to copy the rear of the seat for my zerocaferacer (engelbert) right now and i got the idea from someone who build a bike like tat also to buy an old yamaha wildstar rear fender to saw a peace out of it to get the right shapefor the beautifull rear.
i just found an old fender for about 35 dollars and i`m eager to start with it.

great topic by the way !!! guess it`s time for some new pictures from you build?

greetings from the Netherlands

Back
Top Bottom