DIY...Walnut motorcycle service bench

Re: Walnut service bench

Cut the remaining mortices this morning.

11494-080718134946-40112471.jpeg

Dry fit the base together a piece of 2"x 10.5" Oak as the fulcrum.

11494-080718134946-40142172.jpeg

I was thinking of something a little more substantial for the center stand to rest on.

Dug an old piece of 2"x 11" Walnut for this. Nice that it will match the rest of the work top.

11494-080718134946-40151253.jpeg

A last minute mortice to fit the 2".

11494-080718134946-4016430.jpeg

Then one last freaking mortice for the end piece.

11494-080718134946-4017705.jpeg

Glue drying...thank god.

11494-080718134947-4018275.jpeg

a little late now, but heres a handy tip on glue ups;
lay some masking tape down where you don't want your glue to go, once it dries you just peel up the tape. VERY handy on inside corners where it is difficult to remove dried glue, saves time and looks better than a sanded corner.

watching this with interest!

doc_rot said:
a little late now, but heres a handy tip on glue ups;
lay some masking tape down where you don't want your glue to go, once it dries you just peel up the tape. VERY handy on inside corners where it is difficult to remove dried glue, saves time and looks better than a sanded corner.

watching this with interest!

Dagnabbit Dude. LOL. where were you a couple hours ago!!! haha. Yes too late now.

trek97 said:
Dagnabbit Dude. LOL. where were you a couple hours ago!!! haha. Yes too late now.

A sharp chisel also works very well for removing dried glue, but prevention is the best way

doc_rot said:
A sharp chisel also works very well for removing dried glue, but prevention is the best way

Thats my plan, I got a decent set of chisels for relief carving gun stocks.

But yeah, tape beforehand woulda been a great move.

I wont soon forget that tip. Thanks dude. 8)

Looking great man. I always just use a water soaked rag and run it along my corners to clean the glue up. Quick and easy.

Of course lately I've been going production speed with the cabinet building.

Thanks guys. I’m considering trimming 3 inch’s off the base. For a total finished height of 12” .

trek97 said:
Thanks guys. I’m considering trimming 3 inch’s off the base. For a total finished height of 12” .

It's looking friggin amazing so far. Are you saying the bike will only be 12 inches off the ground?

canyoncarver said:
It's looking friggin amazing so far. Are you saying the bike will only be 12 inches off the ground?

Yeah, it’s 15 right now. Idk what I want. Lol.
Just so long as I can do most jobs sitting in my chair.

#oldknees ::)

Ok Kelly you talked me into leaving it at 15" for now. I can always cut once I actually get a bike on there.

trek97 said:
Ok Kelly you talked me into leaving it at 15" for now. I can always cut once I actually get a bike on there.

Lol! I didn't but .... I did?

I think you need to make some adjustable legs with walnut dowels to lock them in place.... ;)

That foaming gorilla glue is tough to clean up. But, thats ok. Taping off the base really did help a lot. 8)

It really fills the gaps and makes things nice and tight.

11494-110718065637.jpeg

Some day it will have oil stains and gouges - then it will be beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom