CB350 project

G.Rossman

May be going to look at this bike and consider a purchase knowing it will need some work and finishing. I will link to a photo. I know from the start the carbs are leaking fuel so probably will need gaskets. No doubt it needs a tune up and tuning work.

Attachments

• 01616_7H5i6in1VJF_600x450.jpg
    01616_7H5i6in1VJF_600x450.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 994
Hey G, don't know if you have bought an incomplete project before, but your first thought should be ,Why didn't they finish it? It doesn't appear to have much left to do structurally/mechanically. Needs a fork brace. If that is a fiberglass tank, some can be real crap.

I would want to buy it cheap if it is not running. not all there.

Brent,

Thanks for the reply. The story is that a younger guy was building it and went on deployment in the military. He then sold it to this person whom he knew. The guy said it was running last year and this winter the carbs started leaking fuel.

Prices on cafe racers seem to be pretty spread out. I have seen some for as cheap as 2, 500 that look decent all the way up to 20, 000 or more but those are the ones that look like a bike shop built.

I will look into the fork brace, thanks for pointing that out.

With me, running last year means nothing, it's not running now and there is no way to know if leaky carbs is it's only problem. Does the transmission work, charging system? What about all the bearings and bushings? Who knows? Also remember anything you can't do cost shop rate, setting up and syncing the carbs is likely a good example. As far as the parts that are on it; the exhaust is a few bends and a collector with an extremely cheap muffler, so you have used tires, clip ons, cafe seat and some type of shock (can't tell what they are), which are worth 50% (or less) of their original value.

The value, to me, would be a few hundred dollars in parts and the worth of a non running 350F in your area.

Personally, for $1500 or less, I would go and buy one of the thousands of newer 250/300cc bikes that are for sale (that 350F could never perform like they do), so I had something good to ride and save the other $1000+ for when a steal of a deal comes along on a vintage. I find the best deals on project bikes are in the dead of winter.

Couple hundred bucks at best as that's what you'd make parting it.

That being said, I'll chime in in defense of the 350F -- beautiful little bikes, very smooth, and well designed --although there's not much left on this one from the original.

And for the record, carbs that leak/drip aren't necessarily float bowl gaskets -- could be bad or stuck floats, float height, float valve, cracked overflow tubes.

IF it's cheap, go for it, but it's gonna take some work.

*** Should clarify -- you've got O-rings for those float bowls, not gaskets. And it's important to find ones that fit properly if you need to replace them. And if you crack open those carbs, keep all the oem stuff in there (brass, floats) if it's still good and clean the hell out of it.

I'm with Carnivorus, if it has an ownership and you can buy it for a couple hundred bucks you can't really lose. If you do buy it, get it running properly before you do/buy anything else to it or for it.

Brent said:
With me, running last year means nothing, it's not running now and there is no way to know if leaky carbs is it's only problem. Does the transmission work, charging system? What about all the bearings and bushings? Who knows? Also remember anything you can't do cost shop rate, setting up and syncing the carbs is likely a good example. As far as the parts that are on it; the exhaust is a few bends and a collector with an extremely cheap muffler, so you have used tires, clip ons, cafe seat and some type of shock (can't tell what they are), which are worth 50% (or less) of their original value.

The value, to me, would be a few hundred dollars in parts and the worth of a non running 350F in your area.

Personally, for $1500 or less, I would go and buy one of the thousands of newer 250/300cc bikes that are for sale (that 350F could never perform like they do), so I had something good to ride and save the other $1000+ for when a steal of a deal comes along on a vintage. I find the best deals on project bikes are in the dead of winter.

Not to derail the thread, but your opinion of a 350f is pretty far off. I'd wager mine will do anything a modern 300 will do, perhaps better in certain areas ( the exception is braking, which with a front drum was a style choice on my part.)

jag767 said:
Not to derail the thread, but your opinion of a 350f is pretty far off. I'd wager mine will do anything a modern 300 will do, perhaps better in certain areas ( the exception is braking, which with a front drum was a style choice on my part.)

Is yours in the condition of the one he is looking at?

Brent said:
Is yours in the condition of the one he is looking at?

Perhaps I took your meaning wrong. It read as a 350f will never be able to do what a modern 300 can. Feel free to correct my interpretation.

jag767 said:
Perhaps I took your meaning wrong. It read as a 350f will never be able to do what a modern 300 can. Feel free to correct my interpretation.

My wording might not have been the best, I don't doubt there are 350F's that can give the new 300's a good spanking. I don't think the OP has owned a bike and has limited mechanical experience, I may be wrong, but thought if he had something to ride while he searched for a running vintage it would make the whole experience more satisfying. I think he is in a seasonal location and I find prices drop considerably when the snow flies, at least here in the great white north.

I am in a seasonal location. Indiana, so we are still trying to find a spring right now.

I have some experience but no road bikes. I use to ride a dirt bike and 4 wheeler (grew up in the country). I do have friends who ride and have already said they would help me and of course work with me on riding the safe way. One has had a CBR600RR recently and now has a BMW1000 something (not sure of model off hand).

I have some mechanical experience, not completely with bikes. I have a 71 Corvette restoration I have started and not done a ton with yet, the car was my dads race car as I grew up and needs a total rebuild and was given to me a few years ago. I just sold a 03 Zo6 I had modified and played with, I have a 98 Corvette low miles with only stock options I have added like magnesium wheels and took a TI exhaust off a Z car and put that on. I miss my 01 SVT Lightning I sold which had a fair amount of bolt on stuff done to it. Cobras in the past, camaro Z28 so if I have something to research or work off of I can do pretty well. Rebuilding an engine, never done one but would like to. I would not mind finding local groups with people to help me out as well.

Going off the feedback here it seems like the bike is iffy at best? I would love a newer bike and almost bought one but lost out by a few hours when it sold before I could get to it.

My biggest problem is always space. Between SUVs, kid toys, junk, lawn equipment etc. I need an acre lot with a pole barn ;D

Brent said:
My wording might not have been the best, I don't doubt there are 350F's that can give the new 300's a good spanking. I don't think the OP has owned a bike and has limited mechanical experience, I may be wrong, but thought if he had something to ride while he searched for a running vintage it would make the whole experience more satisfying. I think he is in a seasonal location and I find prices drop considerably when the snow flies, at least here in the great white north.

Ahh, understood... Perhaps it was my error.

Brent said:

I'll agree to that. If this is your first road bike, I'd find something running. You don't know how much that bike needs to drive safely again (looks like a lot), and if it starts to drag on, you might end up regretting it because you can't ride. If you are leaning towards a newer bike, I'd go that route too. Old bikes usually need more upkeep to run well.

On the other hand, older bikes are great learning tools, so if you are looking to get into bikes but aren't afraid to spend some time and money learning, then an old bike might be just the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom