My latest project..82 GS1100EZ Gixxer/Bandit mods...

TonUpSoldier

bad assed, super fast and fully gassed
Well, fellas and ladies, Its been a while since ive posted. Been stuck working on alot of OTHER peoples bikes lately, havent had much time to do anything of my own. Now that the riding season is over (and, it was a fun one for me, over 14K miles amassed on a couple of various Zook UJMs and the cafe this season :) 90% of it on the twistiest roads Ohio, WV and KY have to offer ) I have found and started gathering parts for my NEWEST project. Not quite a cafe, but not purely a street fighter either. Maybe a lil of both. I picked up a second GS1100E for $600 down in KY, not worth restoring, so she becomes the donor. This winter/spring will be spent mostly on suspension performance modifications, and then later summer/fall/next winter on a recockulously powerfull motor. Not going HUGE bore on it, but an 1166 kit, with cams, degreeable cam sprockets, and 1150 carbs, etc etc, hope to be getting about 135HP to the wheel by my estimates. Even if i fall a bit short of that, the biggest part of the mods for me will be that the bike will HANDLE speed/power in the corners. Doing the ton is great, but doing NEARLY the ton in a corner, and HANGING it, is even better :)

Yes, this will NOT be a low budget build. As a matter of fact, it will likely cost me a small fortune. I could BUY a modern sportbike outright for the eventual end price of this build, but, as many of you fellas know, THATS NOT THE POINT!!! LOL. Frankly, I dont like the modern stuff. Gobs of power and handling yes, but they all look the same, and for my big ass, arent that comfy. This 82 GS1100EZ is just about the most comfortable "multipurpose" bike ive found. Its powerfull stock, it handles well for its time, and doing that all while remaining sittable for a tankfull at a time. So NOW, lets make it better.

My suspension set up will be as follows:

On the front end, I will be using a set of 50mm 97 GSXR1100 forks, resprung and revalved with Racetech springs and valves. I will also use the 97 Gixxer wheel and brake set up on the front as well. The top tree clamp will be modified to accept standard bars, rather than clip ons. I am trying to find a source to make me a "drop" top clamp, as i will actually lose about 1.5 inches on center of the bike of ride hight static. This SHOULDNT be a problem ANYWAY, as i have an underbelly SuperTrapp header and can to use on this project, but if i could restore the bike to nearly the stock ride hight, that would be fantastic. So, if there are any MACHINISTS out there that would be interested in giving me a hand in that endevour, that would be mighty swell.

The back end will consist of a GSF1200 Bandit swingarm, with modified and machined collars and bushes for the GS11 frame. Here, i will be using the 97 Gixxer rear wheel and brake system as well. I havent decided yet, whether or not i am retaining the stock peg set up, or switching to a set of Busa rearsets with brackets to affix to the GS11 frame, or not, but if I DONT use the rearsets, i will have to do a lil bit of welding (or rather, have a welder do it for me, i dont trust myself well enough yet on frame tubing) to relocate the STOCK GS11 rear master cylinder. I will be using a set of Ohlins SU143 piggieback shocks i got new for a steal, still wish i could get another set for my 83 GS11ESD, but that ship has unfortunately sailed (someone blew the whistle on our "group buy" We were getting NEW sets of Ohlins piggies for about 500 a set) I will be using a 180/55-17 rim in back and a 120 in front, so the wheels contact patch will be greatly increased. :) The frame will also be getting braced in preparation for the higher displacement motor, and to prevent flex in cornering. It SHOULD handle pretty close to a modern bike, albeit a hundred plus pounds heavier. Ahh well, cant have everything now can we??

If you havent noticed yet, the goal here is to retain a nearly stock look, while improving performance and handling significantly. MOST of these parts are pretty much bolt on and go, aside from the offset on the sprockets, and a couple of other things. I will also be using a countershaft assistance bearing set up as well.

I am not the first person to do these mods, obviously, and have talked to a few of those who do/have done it, and it should be pretty straight forward. It will end up looking much like this bike, aside from the paint scheme.

Wachusett-0041-reduced.jpg

GREAT IDEA!! ;D ;D

I love where you're goin' with this! 8)

Just to encourage you, my KZZXR turned out AMAZING when it comes to handling! I used a similar set up to what you're considering, only Kawasaki and Ohlins parts. I've braced the frame too, using a set up that was popular with roadracers back in the 70's and 80's. I think you'll LOVE it when you're done! 8)

The only thing I have to do now is build the engine on mine! Even stock, it's a hoot to ride! ;D

Have fun with it! :D

You should join oldskoolsuzuki.... Great info and loads of guys who have done bike builds like this before

Thanks guys! I appreciate the support :) As far as the motor goes, I havent really decided EXACTLY what im going to do yet. This particular bike has a good motor in it, but unfortunately, the 82 model, unlike my 83, didnt have a factory welded crank. So, if i do anything extreme on the motor build, i will want to have the crank welded, trued and balanced. The cost of THAT alone will be well over 700USD. So it may be a better move for me to either find an 83 motor, and work from there, or better still, but a bit rare to find, an 1150 motor. Couple small changes and that sucker will drop right into that frame. But, I will probably end up, at least for the mean time, just doing some MILD modifications to the STOCK motor, untill next winter when i can crack open the wallet again and spend money i shouldnt really spend on such things...lol. I have a set of GS1150 cams, which are a "drop in" kick in the ass just stock. But I will probably re-time the cams on those for now, maybe a 105 intake/107 exhaust for a little better midrange punch. Will be swapping the oil pump gears out for a set i yanked out of a 16v 750 motor i have sitting around. Will provide a higher flow rate with the stock pump. I also have a set of 1150 carbs, KN filters, that Supertrapp exhaust and will be installing a topend oiler kit, as well as a Vance and Hines welded and balanced clutch basket. The outboard countershaft bearing support, and a quick access clutch cover. Just fun stuff. This first itteration wont be nearly as powerfull as what i hope to get out of the final motor, but it should supply a decent, fairly cheap kick in the pants, and like I said, as long as it handles better, these old Zook 1100s are already pretty quick for being from way back when. More to follow, including PICS PICS PICS :)

Josh

HEHE... this seems familiar...

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

Good luck man, it's a fun bike when it's done... too bad mine will probably sell... too many ideas... not enough bikes (I know... crazy).

Druro said:
HEHE... this seems familiar...

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

Good luck man, it's a fun bike when it's done... too bad mine will probably sell... too many ideas... not enough bikes (I know... crazy).

Looks good Druro. I had considered doing the mods to MY 1100ESD, but couldnt bring myself to do it. They are rather rare here in the states, with ORIGINAL numbers being only around 1500, far less than that now. ALOT of these mods, however, are completely reverseable, unless of course you plan on doing any frame bracing, or have to relocate the rear master. What did you end up doing with yours Druro?

Also, for anyone else interested in doing this:

For the most part, ANY of the 90s Gixxers front ends are "plug and play" with some bearing swaps, and modding the stops. HOWEVER, while the Gixxer 750 forks are a much better (read SHOWA) fork, they are only 29 inches roughly, long. Meaning, and ive got a whole spreadsheet detailing this if anyone is interested, because it was a HUGE concern for me, that the bike, fitted with GSXR 750 forks will sit about 2.5 inches LOWER at center (center being the front of the motor basket, header area. This area is where you will likely run into trouble with ground clearance) I have chosen the Gixxer 1100 forks because of their length, 30.5 inches i believe (id have to double check, its either 30.5 or 31.5) vs the stock GS 32.5 inches. They are a KYB fork, not quite as nice as the SHOWA, but hell, im on 37mm toothpicks right now, 50mm will be a VAST improvement. If you did simple fast math, you might say "Hey dude, thats about an inch difference" and yes, you're right. Also, the gixxer front wheel, 17incher, is 2 inches smaller than the GS11 wheel (19inches) HOWEVER, you make an inch of loss on the wheel up in the tire, so you're only truely down an inch there. Also, the drop at the forks of an inch or so DOESNT TRANSLATE to the frame as a full inch or so. IN REALITY, you only lose about .6 inches at center for every inch you lose on the fork. SOoooo I will end up losing about 1.5 inches said and done, with the bike sitting STATIC. Approx 2.5 inches with ME on it. Leaving my END ground clearance around 3.75 inches. Acceptable, but not preferred. So, i am still looking for someone to possible make me a "drop" or "Stepped" top clamp, to gain an inch back on the forks. However, should i not be able to do this, I think, once sprung and valved for my weight, I should STILL have no real issues with ground clearance since i will be using an underbelly exhaust. Were you to use a standard, down the side, header, you might run into some scraping issues when over on the right side, and under undulating conditions.

About the front end - I've heard of some fighter guys using extension caps for the tops of the forks. They basically clamp to the top of the fork and slot through the standard top clamp. Maybe oldskoolsuzuki could help you out with this ??

Keep it coming!

TonUpSoldier said:
Looks good Druro. I had considered doing the mods to MY 1100ESD, but couldnt bring myself to do it. They are rather rare here in the states, with ORIGINAL numbers being only around 1500, far less than that now. ALOT of these mods, however, are completely reverseable, unless of course you plan on doing any frame bracing, or have to relocate the rear master. What did you end up doing with yours Druro?

Also, for anyone else interested in doing this:

For the most part, ANY of the 90s Gixxers front ends are "plug and play" with some bearing swaps, and modding the stops. HOWEVER, while the Gixxer 750 forks are a much better (read SHOWA) fork, they are only 29 inches roughly, long. Meaning, and ive got a whole spreadsheet detailing this if anyone is interested, because it was a HUGE concern for me, that the bike, fitted with GSXR 750 forks will sit about 2.5 inches LOWER at center (center being the front of the motor basket, header area. This area is where you will likely run into trouble with ground clearance) I have chosen the Gixxer 1100 forks because of their length, 30.5 inches i believe (id have to double check, its either 30.5 or 31.5) vs the stock GS 32.5 inches. They are a KYB fork, not quite as nice as the SHOWA, but hell, im on 37mm toothpicks right now, 50mm will be a VAST improvement. If you did simple fast math, you might say "Hey dude, thats about an inch difference" and yes, you're right. Also, the gixxer front wheel, 17incher, is 2 inches smaller than the GS11 wheel (19inches) HOWEVER, you make an inch of loss on the wheel up in the tire, so you're only truely down an inch there. Also, the drop at the forks of an inch or so DOESNT TRANSLATE to the frame as a full inch or so. IN REALITY, you only lose about .6 inches at center for every inch you lose on the fork. SOoooo I will end up losing about 1.5 inches said and done, with the bike sitting STATIC. Approx 2.5 inches with ME on it. Leaving my END ground clearance around 3.75 inches. Acceptable, but not preferred. So, i am still looking for someone to possible make me a "drop" or "Stepped" top clamp, to gain an inch back on the forks. However, should i not be able to do this, I think, once sprung and valved for my weight, I should STILL have no real issues with ground clearance since i will be using an underbelly exhaust. Were you to use a standard, down the side, header, you might run into some scraping issues when over on the right side, and under undulating conditions.

I didn't add any frame bracing (probably should have) but mostly cause I wasn't going to be heaving it in the corners.

For the brakes, I ran my standard swingarm + master cylinder + pegs, so i had no issues there. As for the rear early GSXR brake, the stock master is fine to lock up the rear.

As for the forks, I lucked out and scored some 92/93 GSXR1100 forks, which are the longest the Zook every made (touch longer then the later GSXR11 forks). I didn't do anything to extend the length, but i did add the Racetech springs. My clearence is 4.5 inches i think under the pipes. The only time i worry is around speed bumps, so I take it easy there.

Cheers

hillsy said:
About the front end - I've heard of some fighter guys using extension caps for the tops of the forks. They basically clamp to the top of the fork and slot through the standard top clamp. Maybe oldskoolsuzuki could help you out with this ??

Keep it coming!
Thus far i have only found extension caps that you speak of for the SHOWA 750 forks. While they are the same diameter, the caps only add about .08 inches, which still is shorter than the Gixxer 1100 forks. I may shoot over to oldskool and see if anyone has or knows where to get said caps for the 1100s. That would be killer.

TonUpSoldier said:
Thus far i have only found extension caps that you speak of for the SHOWA 750 forks. While they are the same diameter, the caps only add about .08 inches, which still is shorter than the Gixxer 1100 forks. I may shoot over to oldskool and see if anyone has or knows where to get said caps for the 1100s. That would be killer.

I think that most of the one's i've seen on that site have been custom machined by the owners/shops. I don't think I even found any that were for sale.

The only serious issue i had with the front end was that because the tubes are larger OD, they were hitting the tank. I made up some adjusters out of nuts which let me have proper stops without worrying about hitting the tank.

It's been a while since this thread has had any posts; did you get any work done to the bike? All those cool parts installed, yet? Sounds like a very nice ride. Post up progress pics if you've got any...please!
-KR

Back
Top Bottom