'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: '75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - 7/5 - DONE!!! FINISHED!!! COMPLETE!!!

She turned out stunning Sarge. Damn nice work.

CrescentSon said:
She turned out stunning Sarge. Damn nice work.
JustinLonghorn said:
Yes sir,

I can dig it.

Thanks, Candy paint really pops in the first picture. Gotta catch it in that right lighting and angle. Looks way better in person.

Great work Ted! There is a lot of attention to detail on here. Congrats man!

she is one purdy lady. well done sir.

Very nice bike.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The candy red is really nice.... of course, I WAS planning on painting my bike the same color! Guess I'll stock with my earlier plan....

how did you like the shop line paint? that is a bit different then they sell at the store (autozone) bike looks great!!!!
waht jetting did you end up going with? glad those carbs worked!!!

man she looks great! let me knwo on that paint!

two-smoker said:
The candy red is really nice.... of course, I WAS planning on painting my bike the same color! Guess I'll stock with my earlier plan....

lol. sorry man. You can always go with the white and lime green paint scheme. Others seemed to enjoy some of my earlier pics with the white base and lime green frog tape.

JRK5892 said:
how did you like the shop line paint? that is a bit different then they sell at the store (autozone) bike looks great!!!!
waht jetting did you end up going with? glad those carbs worked!!!

man she looks great! let me knwo on that paint!

PPG Shop-Line clearcoat was pimp. I used to Duplicolor Paintshop arylic laquer setup for my base. The key to getting the candy to pop is to wet sand it down so the metallic underneath just starts to show. Then the PPG Shopline clearcoat turned out spectacular. comes out glassly after 8 hours with medium hardner. Nice a durable. Pepboy's still sells the candy paints. My only suggestion is that you take off any tape after a few hours when it's still a little tacky. When it hardens tape will be hard to get off.
Also it likes to drip so watch the heavy coats.

The carbs are working great except I am having overheating issues at long idles. I re-synched the carbs but I need to check my plugs, timing, and maybe valves again. Cylinder head temp got up to 340F the other day then stalled. I am pretty sure it's jetted rich but I need to double check with the plugs.

Hot damn, Sarge!! Looks stunning! I really dig how this thing came together, especially for an XS!

Very nice indeed! Ya know, I'm almost never a fan of chrome, but I really dig it here. It's actually...different(!) on these old bikes.

(your covers are chromed, right? Or am I an idiot?)

Either way, bravo.

Wow!! That really turned out nice, I official rescind my previous statement....that red is made of win. I don't know if it's been covered (sorry for the skim, I have parts running) but what paint is that exactly?

nice clean bike...good job.
joe@ vcycle

how was the shop line paint bud?

I just read through this build thread, and let me say, GREAT job! I'm in love with the old TX/XS500's.

You mentioned it runs hot. These bikes are notorious for running hot, the heads are known to crack at the exhaust ports, so be careful! I would seriously look into an oil cooler for it. You haven't posted in a while, so I hope you get this.

cowboysculptor said:
I just read through this build thread, and let me say, GREAT job! I'm in love with the old TX/XS500's.

You mentioned it runs hot. These bikes are notorious for running hot, the heads are known to crack at the exhaust ports, so be careful! I would seriously look into an oil cooler for it. You haven't posted in a while, so I hope you get this.

Thanks man. Yeah, it only runs hot in the dead heat of the summer. Otherwise this kind of weather the bike is in heaven. No problems yet... Oil cooler idea crossed my mine but the adaption is not easy. Joe, another DTT member had done it but it required grinding away have of the side cover so the aftermarket fitting could fit. Mine are chromed so that def won't be happening, lol

If you're looking, for an easy way to fit an oil cooler, why not use the oil feed on the back of the cylinders as a start? It secures just like a banjo bolt on either end. It wouldn't be hard to actually use banjo bolts with barbed fittings, and oil cooler hose. Then you're feeding cool oil directly where it needs to go.

Back
Top Bottom