Of Bikes and Watches....

Vince Lupo

Ridden Not Trailered!
I've noticed in some magazines (Like Robb Report, and even some of the New York Times Magazines) that people make associations between motorcycles and other things that might not necessarily be connected. One of the connections I've seen is wrist watches. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and if people who are into motorcycles are also into other mechanical things? Anyone out there have certain watches that they wear while riding (to complete their 'look'), or does it not really matter?

Not a wrist watch, but a pocket watch that's always on my bike: 1960 Ingersoll 'Triumph'
Detail1.jpg

I think you can tell alot about a person by the small items they own/wear. Are they flashy with bling, understated and simple, or huge and in your face? The same goes for the vehicles we build, be it cars, motorcycles or bicycles.

That being said, i don't leave home without my old Heuer Autavia, nothing fancy, but it has that look and feel of old craftsmanship that seems to be missing from it's modern counterparts.
20zd7b9.jpg

Other than that, I just bought an omega railmaster XXL and am anxiously waiting for it to arrive.

10_02__07_omega_railmaster_xxl_c.JPG

That Railmaster is a beauty -- I just picked up a 1980 Speedmaster today (with the 1140 movement), and I'm dithering whether to resell it or keep it.

I'll try to take a few photos of my 'motorcycle' watches and post them.

Interesting that the New York Times magazine (not that they are necessarily the barometer for fashion trends!) indicated that the era of the big watch is shifting to a smaller faced watch. We'd probably be better off with smaller faced watches, particularly for fitting under zipped-up leather jacket sleeves. But, if I had a chance to get a TAG Monaco, I'd be all over it!

Interesting.

For me, I'm very into pocket watches but only pure mechanical ones (I like the 20-30's art deco types). Something about the mechanism seems very appropriate when thinking about bikes/cars. I do think there is a connection between timepieces and vehicles, but mostly when talking about mechanical time pieces.

Actually, I'm very jelous about that pocket watch holder... so want for my bikes.

Druro said:
Interesting.

For me, I'm very into pocket watches but only pure mechanical ones (I like the 20-30's art deco types). Something about the mechanism seems very appropriate when thinking about bikes/cars. I do think there is a connection between timepieces and vehicles, but mostly when talking about mechanical time pieces.

Actually, I'm very jelous about that pocket watch holder... so want for my bikes.

Yeah, I've had quite a few people lust after that pocket watch holder. I got it from PJ Speedos on the Isle of Man. They used to refurbish speedos and tachs, and they sold these items, which I think are repros of holders that were available back in the day. Sadly, the company isn't around any more, or at least I can no longer seem to find them online. They were located in Kirk Michael, if you wanted to do a bit of investigative research. When I called them to order this piece about 4 years ago, it sounded like a home-based business - the wife, Pat, ran the business, and I could hear her husband cooking dinner in the background, so don't know if you'll have any luck or not.

Since you're into pocket watches, here's an older shot of the holder that should make you drool: A 1943 Elgin GCT U.S. Navy Comparing Watch with 24 hour dial.
Very uncommon piece that I unfortunately don't have any more:

SuperHawk5a.jpg

Saucer has the largest collection of vintage Omegas, ( I believe..), that Ive ever seen...like 200 or so sitting in a vintage display box..

Personally I dont wear watches...

verboten1 said:
wow, your watches cost more than my yamaha and my honda together....lol

I got the Speedmaster at a really good price, and it's from 1980, so it's not like it cost me $3000 or anything. Most of the other watches I have are not very expensive at all - like in the $100 - $200 range. You can get really beautiful high quality Elgin, Hamilton, Gruen and Waltham watches from the 1940's - 1960's for fairly cheap prices.

Interesting how some of the watches that are being offered nowadays are 'retro' in look, but they cost about 10 times more than a real vintage watch that can tell time just as well.

I'll try to post some shots of my $100 specials....

There is a long standing relationship between watches and autos! Even to this day watch manufacturers are cross merchandising their products along side cars and motorcycles. Some examples are Breitling Bentley, Jean Richard for Mv Agusta, Porsche Design, and Ducati branded watches. The most revolutionary watch autos partnership is between Jaeger LeCoultre and Aston Martin the AMVOX2, this watch acts as a keyless lock/unlock transmitter for the new Aston Martin Rapide!

Check it out
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4677593&rid=0

Forgive my ramblings, Im a huge watch nerd!!!

Vince Lupo said:
I got the Speedmaster at a really good price, and it's from 1980, so it's not like it cost me $3000 or anything. Most of the other watches I have are not very expensive at all - like in the $100 - $200 range.

thats cool to know, they are very nice looking.
I have a very cheap, but nice looking watch, and I will usually carry a watch with a clip on it to clip on my belt loop.
I like that more than wearing on my wrist

Some years ago I was given a vintage WW2 Glycine Incursore as a gift. The story is that this particular watch was worn by the Italian Frogmen when they set mines and such. New one's sell for between $850 and $1500 depending on the version. I was offered substantially more last year when I took it in to have the band links reset, they wear like any other mechanically flexible, metal on metal assembly.
The old kat that owns the shop just about poo'd himself and started trying to talk me out of it.

I only wear it a few times a year though i wind it every day as recommended by the old guy.
I lost my day job last week............I could live off what he offered my for 6-7 months if I'm careful.

Hmm......

Vince Lupo said:
I've noticed in some magazines (Like Robb Report, and even some of the New York Times Magazines) that people make associations between motorcycles and other things that might not necessarily be connected. One of the connections I've seen is wrist watches. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, and if people who are into motorcycles are also into other mechanical things? Anyone out there have certain watches that they wear while riding (to complete their 'look'), or does it not really matter?

Not a wrist watch, but a pocket watch that's always on my bike: 1960 Ingersoll 'Triumph'
Detail1.jpg

all i really want to know if what speddo/tach that is? i really want a 2in1 that does'nt have any led or digital; very hard.

I have a reasonably sized watch collection. I'll have to gather them together for a few pics soon.

Omega Speedmaster (the smaller one like Vince Lupo's above - not the 'moon watch')
Seiko Helmet
Seiko 'Pepsi' with gold face (1)
Seiko 'Pepsi' with gold face (2)
Sicura diving
Jenny diving
TAG Heuer (1)
TAG Heuer (2)
Arctos Horometer (really weird watch - Google it)
O&W chrono

And a handful of others strewn about.

I need one of those handlebar stopwatch mounts :)

I actually crashed wearing my Omega Speedmaster - scuffed it a bit while sliding across the concrete which is a shame, but better to be worn and used than to sit gathering dust in a drawer.

My father is an antique dealer in Winnipeg, which is where I get my watches :) Aside from the Omega, most were sitting in drawers waiting to be discovered and sold, but aren't really worth enough to bother with as a dealer. So I get them :)

Once I found a Rolex Explorer II in his shop, selling for $1200. I 'borrowed' it for a while, and then when the Interweb came along, I did some research and discovered this was an early model Explorer II, made only for a couple of years, used by Steve McQueen (what watch didn't he wear?) and was worth a fortune. Sold it to a dude in Italy who wired me US$4700 for the watch body.

That was back when the USD was worth $1.50 or so CAD :)

The most mundane normal watch in the world can turn out to be something interesting. My Seiko gold-faced watches were some of the first automatic chronographs and were worn by the first orbiting cosmonaut or some such thing. They're only worth $150 or so each, but if you found one at a garage sale, you'd probably pay $5 for it max.

chimbo said:
all i really want to know if what speddo/tach that is? i really want a 2in1 that does'nt have any led or digital; very hard.

believe its a honda dream but the black bomber had a 2 in 1 similar to that as well

forcefanajd said:
believe its a honda dream but the black bomber had a 2 in 1 similar to that as well
I found a reproduction of these ant they ran about $400.00 +/- a $ or 2. I wanted one too until I found out how much it would be.

There are several gauge manufacturers that have electronic 2 in 1 units that are intended for the hotrod market that could most certainly be finagled to work on a bike. I spoke with one of the engineers at Classic Instruments about that very subject and he said it was a no brainer.
The speed sensor can be a hall effects unit (like a bicycle speedo) and swap a couple resistor values and the tach will work for whatever number of cylinder you have.
The combo units aren't cheap but they are out there and being electronic they are far more accurate than then old cable and magnet....or god forbid the even older cable/friction units.

Something to think on...

Back
Top Bottom