Rear Sets On My Yamaha XS650

Listen to this guy about the XS's. From what I've seen and read he has far exceeded anything I ever did with mine. Whole new playing field.

About the carbs, best investment you'll ever make.

The Mac exhaust that I used to me was cheap and the insides vibrated when revved.

If you go with the dual disks, drill them cause the extra weight sure weighs down the front. BTW, the caliper is identical to the left from a 77 or 78 XS750.

What's involved with dual disks? is the left fork lower already cast to hold the caliper? The Honda's are for example. There is a little complexity with the Honda speedo drive needing to be modified to hold the 2nd rotor.

I'd certainly like to do this, as I've always been unhappy with the braking power of my bikes.

Not sure about a '72 forks, however the '77 had the bolt holes on the left fork tubes already and the bolt holes in the rim for the disk. They were just blamked off with plastic. Buy a disk from a 650, bolt to other side. I used the master cylinder, dual banjo and caliper from a 77 xs750. Exactly the same. It came to me one day, both bikes were side by side and I realized the brakes were identical. Some xs's in Europe were sold with dual disks..

Tintin said:
What's involved with dual disks? is the left fork lower already cast to hold the caliper? The Honda's are for example. There is a little complexity with the Honda speedo drive needing to be modified to hold the 2nd rotor.

I'd certainly like to do this, as I've always been unhappy with the braking power of my bikes.

The yamaha does provide for the additional disc set up. However ensure you are getting the caliper for the right side of the bike. The left will fit on the right. Keep an eye on ebay, search XS650, you will find a caliper now and again. The discs are outrageously heavy and should be lightened. You have the option of having them drilled or ground down if you perfer the stock look.

Have a look at the ones on my bike, they are made in Japan and are available through Mikes XS. They are 6.5lbs lighter than the stock rotor but keep the same dimension.

The other thing I would consider is an upgrade on the stock caliper, you options here are endless as long as you have someone than can build you brackets to adapt them. A friend of mine has a set off of a R1 on his. Stops on a dime !!. I have a set of Lockheed racing calipers for mine, as I have to keep it period looking.

Tintin said:
BTW - I'm also interested in knowing the details on the exaust system you have pictured. I'm thinking a high-mounted 'scrambler' style dual exaust but haven't seen any for sale anywhere.

Gettin' excited! Noel - let's go get this thing!

LOL.. As soon as your ready.. just let me know...Just.. This time I drive the van and YOU sit on the bike holding it up in the back of the Home Depot van!!!... LOL ;D

Coming along nicely Ian.

Here's a couple 650s I snap pix of last year:

DSC00676.jpg

HaugensXS650LSS.jpg

Hey 78kz ... where was that Street Tracker picture taken ??, and do you know the owner ?? .. :eek:

Ian, the Green framed bike is at Haugen's BBQ Chicken Rest. some thursday nights throughout the riding season. I have talked with him a few times, but don't know his name. I also saw him at Port Dover in Oct. for Friday the 13th, and he told me he trucked his bike there. :eek:

I'm sure I will see him again at Haugen's this year. I've even seeh him ride by on Bloomington Rd. near me when I was in the car, so I think he lives East of me somewhere.

I've got more pix of his bike somewhere.

If you'd like I'll try to get his email or other info?

78kz said:
Ian, the Green framed bike is at Haugen's BBQ Chicken Rest. some thursday nights throughout the riding season. I have talked with him a few times, but don't know his name. I also saw him at Port Dover in Oct. for Friday the 13th, and he told me he trucked his bike there. :eek:

I'm sure I will see him again at Haugen's this year. I've even seeh him ride by on Bloomington Rd. near me when I was in the car, so I think he lives East of me somewhere.

I've got more pix of his bike somewhere.

If you'd like I'll try to get his email or other info?

Ya I know the guy whoe owns the green one !!. Looking for someomre info on the yellow one (Street Tracker) ?? :eek:

Sorry, can't help you there. It was at the show at the International Centre near Toronto I believe. :-\

Back
Top Bottom