what IS this frame?

isolato

Been Around the Block
it's old. it's candy purple. it has a Calif "assigned" vin tag. it has some very odd motor mounts that may have been changed. it has a sportster tree that dosen't really fit right. I'd like to build it back but wtf is it? I'll eventually pursue what motor fits with changing the mounts but, this just puzzles me!?

Attachments

• DSC08407.jpg
    DSC08407.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC08410.jpg
    DSC08410.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 216
while I'm at it... anyone know what this may have been for? stamped, one piece, aluminum seat/fender.

does not fit XS frame

Attachments

• 503875673_o.jpg
    503875673_o.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 218
Its not a sportster frame. At lest the mounts and the rear axle plates arent Sporty. Has a tab for a rear drum stay.
Possibly Honda CB750.

Hmmmmm, actually looks like an XS650 setup, but youre missing any front mounts which is strange.

isolato said:
while I'm at it... anyone know what this may have been for? stamped, one piece, aluminum seat/fender.

does not fit XS frame

Cant tell ya what thats for, but I can say that if youre interested in getting rid of it, Il interested in buying it.

yes, the lack of front mount points and a head steady point, has me baffled. looks like something has been removed at some point, possibly other mounting points. I'll do some measuring tomorrow.

the tag looks like a frame builders vin. all the welds are bondo'd smooth, which I'll be removing to inspect welds.

Attachments

• DSC08411.jpg
    DSC08411.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 222
That sucks that the VIN tag is effed up. Im sure you could do a search that way. Actually, the control number is there, so you may still be able to track it. Call the California Highway Patrol and ask to speak to the Vehicle Fraud Division. (At least thats what its called in PA)

Give them the control number and they may be able to give you a history of ownership, and what model it was registered as. A notary can probobly do the search as well.

And Im serious about the seat deal. Im thinking it would work on my Ironhead build. Let me know if youre not going to use it.

Its rare that you see an XS frame with dual downtubes, as it looks shitty with the single mid front mount on the motor.

VonYinzer said:
Cant tell ya what thats for, but I can say that if youre interested in getting rid of it, Il interested in buying it.

I'm kind of nutty about unusual vintage pieces and I just got both of these. I will find out what that seat was made to fit before I can let it go, just in case it's something I can use. I wouldn't alter it much, if any, to make it fit something else. I'd rather sell it if I can't use it for what it was intended. I'll let you know first, thanks.

isolato said:
it's old. it's candy purple. it has a Calif "assigned" vin tag. it has some very odd motor mounts that may have been changed. it has a sportster tree that dosen't really fit right. I'd like to build it back but wtf is it? I'll eventually pursue what motor fits with changing the mounts but, this just puzzles me!?

The rear engine mounts could be a Honda cb750.

Can you tell us how wide those engine mounts are?

I'll measure the mounts next time I get out in the 'museum'. a local old timer bike breaker/builder says it's a honda mount, most likely a small twin, tho not sure which (350ish). he also said it looks as tho it was made by a pro frame maker of the day, adding that they made custom frames for all the popular selling bikes in the 70's. (ha! imagine that)
I don't think it's big enough for a 750. I did stick an xs650 mill in to see, and it just fit. comes close to lining up too, but it wasn't made for it. an xt600 thumper will just fit too.
why should I not lose the tag? it's partially destroyed now & most of the vin is gone. is that control # of use for ID?
Thanks for the interest -D

Attachments

• IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0988.JPG
    IMG_0988.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 220
I have the same frame in my garage and it's stamped CL450 on the neck. The stamping is very light and easily hidden by paint.

well, I stripped the neck and not a thing. I'll work on the rest of it. the mounts are (upper) 3 1/2" wide inside, and (lower)... 3 3/4" wide inside. the motor mount bolt holes upper to lower, center to center are 6 5/8". the front lower mounts were hacked off. thanks

Back
Top Bottom