Care to share a little inspiration?

datadavid said:
Something like tig-ed brass ss steel?
I'm guessing it's aluminum bronze tig brazed. Brazing doesn't have the tensile strength of steel, but it is more ductile and therefore less prone to cracking, which can be just as if not more important in some situations. Either way, that frame is a work of art

Gotta agree, that's beautiful work. Just picture frame it as it. Too good to hide and ride on a road!

hurco550 said:
I'm guessing it's aluminum bronze tig brazed. Brazing doesn't have the tensile strength of steel, but it is more ductile and therefore less prone to cracking, which can be just as if not more important in some situations. Either way, that frame is a work of art

Im surprised that it has any desirable qualities for frame fabrication whatsoever.. we only used it for corrosion resistance, nothing load bearing. Heat discoloration on the tubes would suggest stainless, would love to find out how this process is done, tig brazing stainless with brass would be completely useless once the ss gets hot enough to melt and form alloys with the brass. Tried to weld copper and ss together once for fun and it formed giant brittle crystals and literally exploded when touched by a hammer. So please enlighten the dumbfuck welder what happened in this pic..

Brazing motorcycle frames is nothing new, they've been doing it for years. The frame in the pic isn't SS, just chromoly tubing that's been polished up, and it's just as strong as welding the frame. That level of brazing is from a pro who has been doing this for years, and that's done with a torch.......hence the discolouration on the tubing. Tig brazing is done at a much lower heat.....just enough to get the brazing rod to flow and not melting the parent metals.
There are very few people left that can do that level of work

datadavid said:
Im surprised that it has any desirable qualities for frame fabrication whatsoever.. we only used it for corrosion resistance, nothing load bearing. Heat discoloration on the tubes would suggest stainless, would love to find out how this process is done, tig brazing stainless with brass would be completely useless once the ss gets hot enough to melt and form alloys with the brass. Tried to weld copper and ss together once for fun and it formed giant brittle crystals and literally exploded when touched by a hammer. So please enlighten the dumbfuck welder what happened in this pic..

The whole point of tig brazing or gas brazing is to NOT melt the base metal. If you do and create an alloy, be it stainless or steel, is where the brittleness "Crystal" comes from

I have a couple pics of that complete bike. I'll dig em up when I get home.

hurco550 said:
The whole point of tig brazing or gas brazing is to NOT melt the base metal. If you do and create an alloy, be it stainless or steel, is where the brittleness "Crystal" comes from
Yea, i have trouble keeping the heat down even with careful pulsing. The shit pictured there is definitely not for beginner or intermediate level guys..

datadavid said:
Yea, i have trouble keeping the heat down even with careful pulsing. The shit pictured there is definitely not for beginner or intermediate level guys..

Then I'm gonna try to do it ;D, gonna make a siesta Poncho dude you know the one sitting with the giant sombrero :eek:

These honeys were at the track yesterday

5d83fdc92dd5ab25aea1a31cf9378bb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Gas flux brazing is/was used on a lot of steel tube frames both motorcycle and race car as well as airplanes. We have a gas flux (gasfluxer) bottle that we use for repairing race cars. I wouldn't call it hard to use, it does take some practice, but the joints come out very clean and pretty even with minimal cleaning. Brazing is still the preferred method for steel (cromo) racing frames, though with TIG welding has come a long way as a result of CNC cut joints where fitment is quite excellent. Normalization can still be required with TIG and that's not as much of an issue with brazing.

That welding is both gorgeous and totally demoralizing at the same time. I am still trying to get my welding to a standard that a pigeon would not be insulted. I suspect that frame was bronze welded with SIFbronze 101 which is not imported into the US AFAIK. We do have Allstate #11 and Harris D #17 with the same RBCuZn-D specs. I need to get some from Airgas and try sticking some CroMo tubes together.

clem said:
You think that he'll still be around testing for KTM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

He's designing gear at Fly and developing tires with Pirelli not sure he will work with KTM as BTO is not the Factory team but a factory supported team. I would think he will stay involved in some capacity... Sure was cool to be in the camp to talk to him before and after the race.

Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV will be taking the KTM camp over. Bloss and Millsaps are signed.

Sav0r said:
Gas flux brazing is/was used on a lot of steel tube frames both motorcycle and race car as well as airplanes. We have a gas flux (gasfluxer) bottle that we use for repairing race cars. I wouldn't call it hard to use, it does take some practice, but the joints come out very clean and pretty even with minimal cleaning. Brazing is still the preferred method for steel (cromo) racing frames, though with TIG welding has come a long way as a result of CNC cut joints where fitment is quite excellent. Normalization can still be required with TIG and that's not as much of an issue with brazing.

gas fluxer ,i used to make handlebar stems for one of the pioneers in mount bikes.. he used a gas fluxer for oxy brazing big fillets on mb frames with cromo aircaraft wing strut oval main tubes ,then would blend them all perfect and smooth .. apparently and quite handilly the gas flux is water soluable, soak in water and it pretty much will come off
regular dip can flux glass is tough to get off at times ,real tough
the important things about welding brazing,teazer, is being real comfortable sitting and an elbow propt on something but that aint number one
clear very clean correct tint in your goggles with 2x mag for old fooks ,clearvision to see is number one i think

Tune-A-Fish said:
He's designing gear at Fly and developing tires with Pirelli not sure he will work with KTM as BTO is not the Factory team but a factory supported team. I would think he will stay involved in some capacity... Sure was cool to be in the camp to talk to him before and after the race.

Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV will be taking the KTM camp over. Bloss and Millsaps are signed.

thats bitchen you got to hang out with trey......

Lol. Is he even a ginger?
Tune, I knew that BTO wasn't factory but Short has had a good relationship with KTM since he got off of Hondas and I though that he mentioned something about testing for them in the future. Maybe Bloss will be rookie of the year?

clem said:
Lol. Is he even a ginger?
Tune, I knew that BTO wasn't factory but Short has had a good relationship with KTM since he got off of Hondas and I though that he mentioned something about testing for them in the future. Maybe Bloss will be rookie of the year?

Canard is a Ginger lol and i was lucky enough to hang with him also, got my Des Nations stuff signed.

Yeah I knew Shorty was involved and Roger loves the guy so anythings possible. Bloss did win the rookie of the year, it was split 250/450 Austin Forkner/Benny Bloss... both out of Robby Reynard's camp. Benny will be riding 250 SX East and 450 for the 17 outdoor Nationals.

0bbfeccc87b9cb48b1e25de8154afff5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom