1974 Indian 100

rrjlind

I traded a 55 gal fish tank for this (which i got for free) Its a '74 Indian Enduro 100cc. I doubt I can get it titled, but it'll be fun off road. I tried turning it over w/the plug out, touching the engine, checking for spark, and didn't see any. I really dunno anything about points, so I'll have to read up on them. Also the rusty forks are pretty bad, I spend about an hour with some steel wool, if someone has a better idea, let me know
thanks

Attachments

• 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 900
  • 744.jpg
    744.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 930
call the DMV and ask what it would take to title it? that pretty nice btw. Tear every wire off your bike and throw em in the trash, then re-wire, its worth it, trust me.

According to the web site, I can not register it, I dont have the title, and dont know who ever did. In their eyes, it can not be bought/sold w/o a title. Guess its off road use only. ProSimex, do you have a good web site for those wires? The wheels are 19" But they're not too bad, I think they'll clean up pretty easily. Although I have been wanting to try to lace up a wheel.

just hit up a hardware store for some 10 or 14 gauge wire, some shrink wrap, and connectors. simple wiring diagrams are readily available.

rrjlind said:
According to the web site, I can not register it, I dont have the title, and dont know who ever did. In their eyes, it can not be bought/sold w/o a title. Guess its off road use only. ProSimex, do you have a good web site for those wires? The wheels are 19" But they're not too bad, I think they'll clean up pretty easily. Although I have been wanting to try to lace up a wheel.

Hi, I have been through the Illinois title process a few times where I got a free or cheap bike that would be worth really good money restored. Most people do not bother going through all of this because of the up front cash required and the years it takes to end up with a clean Illinois title.... however IL does not accept "transferable registrations" or other title schemes that work at out of state DMVs/

I thought I had posted this somewhere here before.. but here is a "cut and paste" for you...

Step one:
Have your local Police run the vin# to ensure it's not stolen ( if the engine vin is different from the frame, run BOTH vin #'s). Make sure you get a signed, notarized bill of sale from the seller. Make sure you pay very little for a bike that does not come with a clear title.

Step two:
Make sure everything is in order with the bike to pass the Illinois Secretary of State's Police safety inspection ( yes, there is such a thing and yes, you have to have this done before the title application) This state will charge you $94 for the inspection . The tires, suspension, , lights, turn signals, horn, brakes etc. etc. all must work and be in good, safe condition to pass.

Step three:
Obtain a title court bond ( or approved certified independent bond ). This bond will be 1.5 times the value the state determines for the bike. If they say the bike is worth $600, the bond you put up would be $900 cash. ( even if the bike cost you only $50, you have to go with the value the state determines ) The state sits on the bond for THREE years pending any claims, liens, security interests, etc. etc. etc. ( read the detail in Illinois Compiled Statutes 625 ILCS 5 Illinois Vehicle Code. Section 3-109)

Step Three continued:
Pay $95 for your title application plus $39 for plates and registration. ( legal with registration and plates to ride.. just no clean title yet )

If all goes well, you will get your bond money back in three years and you will have a clean title and registration for your bike !

Thanx guys. I'm not sure if I'm gonna bother trying to get a title. Well see.

ProSimex, you're right, i should rewire it. I want to just pull everything off and wire as little as possible,. I dunno if anything is tied to the electric starter that would make stripping it a bad idea. It has oil injection, so that's cool, i don't have to mix gas. This really could be cool on the street

Back
Top Bottom